Visas / Finding a public notary,.....

M

MrSkipsey

Yeah, did that the other day Q.
Found a bloke in Gravesend (20min away) who will witness, sign and seal the PoA for £40.

S

SuziQ2708

Notary Public

Well :eek: I searched for a local NP and found two in my area. One didn't answer the phone, the other did and advised me it will cost £110!!!! I was 'gobsmacked' to say the least. Nevertheless, we have made an appointment to do the deed on Tuesday. However, since reading this thread and noticing some have found it much cheaper, closer to the price that Zeiad advised us it would be, I am going to try the other one again before we part with our hard earned cash. I presumed we can post the PoA to the Foreign Commonwealth and then on to the Egyptian embassy once we get it back?? We live some 100 miles from London, not much chance of us being able to do this in person. Do we need to have visa's? I didn't think we did, Zeiad never mentioned it? I wasn't planning on getting visa's until we get the visitors one's at the airport in Hurghada when we land in EIGHT weeks (had to mention that he he). Getting visa's here in the UK has proved to be such an expense before. The cost of the phone calls to order the forms cost us £15 last time! :rolleyes:

M

MrSkipsey

It would work out cheaper to get the train down to London. Then out to Gravesend to the NP that I used. Then back to London to the FCO and the Egyptian Embassy then back home.

But thats alot of train time!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi - I have merged this thread into the sticky visa thread and renamed it.

Sarah - a residence visa is required to issue POA in the Notary Office. See http://www.totallyproperty.com/egypt-property/6847-legal-post-questions-here-3.html post 24 onwards.

Ref visitors visas - you can download the form on the Consulate site and post to them. If you go more than once in 6 months then it is worth your while getting a multi entry visa which is £18 each and again you can download the form and apply by post - it is really quick and they process them in about 5 days and post the visa back to you.

If you look at page one on this thread I have put a link to where the visa office is in Hurghada.

Georgina

Georgina

Residence in Egypt for Foreign Nationals

I just copied this from the Cairo International Airport website. Not sure if it has already been posted before:

Residence in Egypt for Foreign Nationals
Egypt grants legitimate foreign nationals the right for temporary residence in the country. There are two main cases of resident permits in Egypt:
• Special Residence: is usually granted for a period of 10 years, renewable, and granted to those born in Egypt prior to 26/5/1952 or those having resided in the country for the 20 years preceding 26/5/1952, and whose stay has been uninterrupted; it is also granted to their wives and minor children.

• Ordinary Residence: is granted for a period of either 3 or 5 years.
Three-Year Residence
Non-nationals are entitled to obtain temporary 3 year residence (renewable) in Egypt if they belong to any of the following categories:
1. Non-national husbands of Egyptians.
2. Children:
o Minor children entitled to special or ordinary residence in like manner to their dead father.
o Adult children whose father is entitled to special, ordinary or 3 year residence provided a source of income is available to them.
o Adult Palestinian male children of those employed by the Department for the Governor General of Gaza, or of those retired from there, who have completed their studies and are not working in the country.
3. Those employed by the government, public institutions, public sector companies and public business sector.
4. Palestinians employed by the Department for the Governor General of Gaza and those retired from there.
5. Palestinians have travel documents issued solely by Egyptian Authorities who have been resident in Egypt for a period of 10 years.
6. Non-nationals who receive a monthly pension from the National Authority for Insurance and Pensions.
7. Non-national residents of the elderly and disabled homes.
8. Political refugees.
9. Refugees registered at the UN Higher Commission for Refugees (UNHCR).
10. Spouses of those non-nationals entitled to special or ordinary residence.
11. Egyptian spouses who forfeited their nationality of origin following marriage to non-nationals and the acquisition of the latter's citizenship.
12. Spouses and children of those non-nationals exempt from residence permits and restrictions.
13. Non-nationals who, for any reason, waived their entitlement to special or ordinary residence.
14. Those non-nationals employed by the Swiss Institute for Architectural and Archeological Research in Egypt.
15. Non-nationals who, according to international treaties, are entitled to obtain 3 year residence.
16. Those granted approval on 3 year residence from the Ministry of Interior.
17. Spouses and children of those non-nationals entitled to 3 year residence under any of the previous cases.

Five-Year Residence
Non-nationals are entitled to obtain temporary 5 year residence (renewable) in Egypt if they belong to any of the following categories:
1. Investors.
2. Egyptians and their minor children who forfeited their nationality of origin due to their admission to a foreign citizenship.
3. Children:
A. Of Egyptian mother.
B. Whose father was granted Egyptian citizenship
C. Adult children whose mother is entitled to special, ordinary or 5 year residence in case of the death of the father.
4. Those of age 60 or more who have been resident in Egypt for 10 years provided that a source of income is available to them.
5. Non-nationals who, according to international treaties, are entitled to obtain 5 year residence.
6. Spouses and widows of Egyptians.
7. Spouses of those non-nationals entitled to ordinary residence.
8. Spouses and children of those non-nationals entitled to 5-year residence under any of the previous cases.

V

vix

If giving POA to the solicitor in Egypt, and you don't wish to get a full residency visa at the time, you can just get a one month residency visa for free. This is what I did.

S

SuziQ2708

If giving POA to the solicitor in Egypt, and you don't wish to get a full residency visa at the time, you can just get a one month residency visa for free. This is what I did.
That's interesting to know Vix. We've just got our PoA witnessed and signed over here and are in the process of getting it back to Zeiad, via Foreign Commonwealth office and Egyptian embassy. If the PoA is back in Zeiad's office before we travel to Hurghada on the 18th July, do you think we would be able to get this residency visa for free? Also, if we did, does it mean we will not need to buy a visa at the airport when we land? How do you get it? Finally, does the residency visa include teenage children? If this is the case, we could save ourselves £40 at the airport :D

V

vix

That's interesting to know Vix. We've just got our PoA witnessed and signed over here and are in the process of getting it back to Zeiad, via Foreign Commonwealth office and Egyptian embassy. If the PoA is back in Zeiad's office before we travel to Hurghada on the 18th July, do you think we would be able to get this residency visa for free? Also, if we did, does it mean we will not need to buy a visa at the airport when we land? How do you get it? Finally, does the residency visa include teenage children? If this is the case, we could save ourselves £40 at the airport :D
You have to buy the usual tourist visa at the airport, then just ask for a residency addition which for one month is free. you do have to get this from the passport office tho. However, the total time it took in getting the residency visa and going to the notary office to give POA (which only costs £4.00 in Egypt) was less than one hour. The plus side to this is that you can then go back to the notary office and cancel the POA when the legal work is concluded

S

SuziQ2708

You have to buy the usual tourist visa at the airport, then just ask for a residency addition which for one month is free. you do have to get this from the passport office tho. However, the total time it took in getting the residency visa and going to the notary office to give POA (which only costs £4.00 in Egypt) was less than one hour. The plus side to this is that you can then go back to the notary office and cancel the POA when the legal work is concluded
Oh, so it's not free afterall really, I'd still have to hand over the £40 at the airport. As we're not likely to return to Egypt within a month, then it won't be worth it for us. We had to get our PoA signed here in the UK unfortunately, as we're not travelling to Hurghada until July it would have been too late. To make an additional trip to do the notary bit would have cost more than it has doing it from this end with the price of flights etc. and to use a UK based solicitor would cost 5 x more. So, I guess it's just one of those annoying little things :rolleyes:

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Suzi - the normal single entry visa you buy at the airport is only $15 - 7.50. I then paid around £15 for the multi entry and residents visa at the passport office and £4 for the POA so in total cost around 26.50.

S

SuziQ2708

Hi Suzi - the normal single entry visa you buy at the airport is only $15 - 7.50. I then paid around £15 for the multi entry and residents visa at the passport office and £4 for the POA so in total cost around 26.50.
Thank you Alison. I was just going to ask how much the visitors visa is in US Dollars. A friend of mine can get me a small amount of US dollars but I wasn't sure how much it was exactly. It's a saving of £10 (for 4 of us) to pay in dollars, well worth it :D We will probably consider the multi entry visa when our apartment is up and running as we will want to make use of our 12 weeks a year in Egypt. Did I read somewhere that they expire after 6 months or a year though (the multi entry visa) ?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Suzi - the muliy entry one is valid for 6m. Before I got mine we used to get $ and pay as it saves the arguments at the airport. Some will try and say they cost £10 each and some £15. They are clearly marked as 15 USD. If you only have sterling give them a tenner each and insist on change but again this can be a nightmare as they will say they have no change!! I just find it quicker and no hassle paying in dollars. Dont forget if kids are still in your passport you dont pay for them - it is per passport and not per person that is in the passport.

S

SuziQ2708

Hi Suzi - the muliy entry one is valid for 6m. Before I got mine we used to get $ and pay as it saves the arguments at the airport. Some will try and say they cost £10 each and some £15. They are clearly marked as 15 USD. If you only have sterling give them a tenner each and insist on change but again this can be a nightmare as they will say they have no change!! I just find it quicker and no hassle paying in dollars. Dont forget if kids are still in your passport you dont pay for them - it is per passport and not per person that is in the passport.
We've always just stuck a tenner in each of the 4 passports and let them get on with it, they've never asked for more, but it has been a couple of years since we last went over. Kids have their own passports, so we have to pay for them. I will certainly consider getting $60 US dollars and sticking $15 in each passport this time though :D We'll leave the multi-entry one until next year. We will try and go over again during the late spring/early summer and then we expect to go towards the end of the year for completion .... wahey Once we have the multi-visa I presume that means we won't need to buy the visitors one on subsequent trips until it expires :confused:

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Suzi - yes thats right - once you have the multi entry one you can come and go but make sure when they issue it they right in number of visits as several or multi. You then just go straight to passport control with your landing card.

S

SuziQ2708

Hi Suzi - yes thats right - once you have the multi entry one you can come and go but make sure when they issue it they right in number of visits as several or multi. You then just go straight to passport control with your landing card.
Brilliant :D

T

tonyholtom

can anyone clarify this.we have our poa done in the uk,and have sent to ziad,buying in sierra.previously never got visa as always stayed in sharm.do i need a residence visa if staying in sharm ,only going 2-3 times in a year why do i need a residence visa

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Tony I had to get a multi entry and residents visa at the passport office in El Tor in order to get the POA for Zeiad at the Notary there. As long as you have the POA no need to get any other visa for Sharm to my knowledge if you are only going a couple of times a year for a couple of weeks.

T

tonyholtom

many thanks for that, when are you there next, and any updates on completion