Visas / Finding a public notary,.....

Discussion in 'Egypt property' started by Sarah C, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. Sarah C

    Sarah C New Member

    Hi Guys,

    Myself and hubby are seriously considering upping sticks and moving to Hurghada. I am in the process of looking for a Job and have some exciting things in the pipeline, so please keep your fingers crossed!!

    One thing i have been thinking about is Visas, How do you go about getting a residence Visa? as i would like to be able to come back to the UK a few times a year.

    Any help on this would be appreciated.

    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

    Hi you can only get a residents visa in Egypt. You can apply for a 6 m multi entry visa in the UK.

    You can get a 3 year renewable residents visa. I got a year one from El Tor which is the nearest governent ( passport ) office to Sharm. So I would imagine you would need to go the nearest in Hurghada.

    To be able to work in Egypt you also need proof of an aids test amongst other things.
  3. Sarah C

    Sarah C New Member

    Thanks Queenie,

    What did you have to provide to get a 1 year visa?
  4. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

    Your welcome Sarah.

    It was really easy. Just took my passport along, queued up, handed over my money and that was it. Took about half an hour.

    The visa's are rubber stamped into your passport ( not the self adhesive ones like the new entry visa ).

    After they stamp the passport they then write period of stay ( which is the expiry date of the residency visa ) and the fee ( 83.10 LE ) and sign and date it. It clearly states Work is not permitted.

    The multi entry one is more or less the same and was 61LE ( cheaper than buying from the Consulate in London which is £18 )

    Make sure that you make them aware that you want a multi entry one and make sure that where it stated number of visits that they write several.

    I took an Egyptian with me and would advise to do the same as they spoke very very little English.
  5. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

  6. ACP

    ACP New Member

    Problems with getting a residence visa?


    Have you already heard that there are REPORTEDLY some
    problems with getting a residence visa if you own a property
    in Egypt? Especially if your property did not cost much.

    What do you think about it? Is it only a rumour?
    Egypt seems to be a country which just BEGINS to
    attract visitors, so such policies would not be understandable.

  7. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

    Hi I have moved your thread into this one for Visas.

    As you can see above I got mine really easily. As long as you have bought property it doesnot matter how much it cost you can get a residents visa which you just keep renewing. for clarity you may wish to ask Zeiad in the Legal thread on the main forum.


  8. wayne_harris

    wayne_harris New Member

    Hi Ziead,
    Thank you for your kind help. Please can you tell me, do children have to pay the £10 entry fee when coming in to Egypt, or what age does it apply from. So if we have a residence visa or not, we still have to fill in the forms and pay £10 fee each time? I was so hoping not to fill in them forms lol.

    Thanks again
  9. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

    Hi I can help you on this one - yes the children need a visa as well Im afraid unless they are still on your passport - it is one visa per passport. They tried it on with me once and tried to make me pay double as I still had Amy on mine - but as you know I do my research and knew that I should only pay one fee - after a few exchanged words and sticking to my guns he backed down and accepted my single payment graciously LOL. It is a pain filling out the landing cards but we still need to do it even though I have my multi entry and residents visa. Pay in USD though as it is better and only works out about £7.50 each.
  10. wayne_harris

    wayne_harris New Member

    Hi Alison, welcome back, I see you have sorted your internet probs. Thanks for replying to my question. So you are saying the kids need a visa each and pay £10 each when we land? Or I just need to complete the form for each of them on the plane and each pay £10. Sorry I must do your head in!! lol
    Cheers Dawn -x-
  11. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

    Hi - its working again at home tonight!!

    Everyone needs to fill out a landing card - some airlines give it out on the plane and some when you enter arrivals. When you fill it out ( fill out the childrens for them as well ) you then go to the visa booth and hand them over with your passports and pay $15 per passport including children if they have their own passports. They will then give you a visa to stick in an empty page of each passport and then you proceed to passport control.
    See Egypt Entry Visa
  12. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

    Hi Zeiad - can you just clarify so there is no confusion as I thought that you can only get the normal tourist visa for $15 on arrival at Sharm airport and you can only obtain the multi entry either in El Tor or by post to the Egyptian Embassy in London. They need to obtain the normal tourist visa on arrival to be able to leave Sinai to go to El Tor. I was unaware that you could get a multi entry at the airport??? This is £18 in the UK but alot less in El Tor.

  13. vix

    vix New Member

    I would be very grateful if one of the Desert Pearlers would clarify the visa situation for me. Can I get the 12 month visa at the airport, or do I need to get a tourist visa first? Also, what are the costs and presumably it would be payable in LE. Many thanx, Vix.
  14. queenie40something

    queenie40something Senior Member

    Just checked my 12m residents visa and it was 83.10LE and the multi entry 6 month one was 61LE - in total less than £15 for both. These were bought last October in the passport office in Egypt.
  15. vix

    vix New Member


    Thanks Queenie, I was not sure whether or not the same applies to flying into Sharm as oppossed to Hurghada, or buying in Sharm or Hurghada. When you say passport office, you are not refering to the airport then ?
  16. Zeiad Yehia

    Zeiad Yehia New Member

    Dear Alison,

    What you get at the airport is either the single entry visa "allowing you to stay in Sharm for a certain period, normally one month, but not to go outside Sharm", or Multi-Entry Visa, allowing you the move to cities and places other than Sharm. The latter visa costs around GBP 10 I think.

    What you get at El Tur is Residency Visa; it allows you to stay in Egypt for longer period, move freely from a city to another, gets you discounts in hotels, and makes you eligible for issuing PoAs to your solicitor and consequently be able to get involved in legal acts within the territory of Egypt.

    Multi-entry visa is a very simple visa and is valid for nothing but moving outside Sharm, the other significant visa, which is obtained from El Tur is the Residency Visa.

    All the best,

    Zeiad Yehia
  17. not_terry

    not_terry New Member

    multi entry visa

    Does the multi entry visa cover you for trips out of the country and back or does it expire as soon as you leave and you have to get a new one when you come back. Also what periods can you get a multi entry visa for and if I am only on a weeks holiday ticket will it cause problems at the airport if I ask for a 6month or years multi entry visa.
  18. vix

    vix New Member


    So how does this differ from Hurghada, do I have to go to El Tur from Hurghada ? What have others done pls ?
  19. Zeiad Yehia

    Zeiad Yehia New Member

    The visa department in Hurgada is different than in Sharm, I can enquire where it is located in Hurgada and come back to you.

    All the best,

    Zeiad Yehia
  20. Zeiad Yehia

    Zeiad Yehia New Member

    Multi entry visa covers for nothing except moving outside the city of destination. It is "Residency Visa" for one year that helps, GIVEN THAT ONE MUST NEVER FORGET to obtain the 6 months return permission on it, otherwise it would expire as soon as one leaves.

    In the airport they cannot grant you more than the multi-entry visa, but then you go to the competent visa department in the city of your choice "preferrbly under the supervision of a decent lawyer", and obtain the 1 year residency visa.

    All the best,

    Zeiad Yehia

Share This Page