Odds & Sods

C

CMChris

Going back to the mossie problem the best anti mossie 'stuff' that my hubbie has found was Boots roll ons. They contain DEET which is the only effective mossie deterrent, he's a mossie magnet and luckily for me they hate me lol. DEET was 'invented' by the US for their soldiers in Vietnam and since then nothing new has come onto the market. All the citronella in the world won't keep mossies away but go for any product with DEET and its very effective, also good for sand flies but you have to reapply after going in the water. I've done extensive research on fly repellents using my horses as guinea pigs poor things lol

L

lyndsay552

Mossies really are my biggest worry about moving to Egypt. We where in Thailand for a month last year and I was like the Elephant Woman. My legs where tore to pieces, to the point when I went for a Thai Massage, the woman thought there was something wrong with me!! I normally use the Jungle Formula roll on which works quite well but all it takes is to miss one bit and they have a field day!!

Is it possible to get stronger anti-histamines? My doctor gave me piritin before I went but I still took a reaction. Is there a version for horses? If so how can I get some lol

Lyndsay

C

CMChris

Don't think you'd want to take horse meds lol they come in BIG doses, Doc might be able to prescribe stronger but they say eating garlic helps and there's another herbally substance which I don't know if it comes in a human version but cedar helps too to deter them (in horses). Check the back of the jungle formula against Boots own and see which DEET content is higher cos the higher it is obviously the better it is.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lyndsay - ask Britney about the horses!!

Avons skin so soft is also very good. My son gets bitten to pieces in the UK but didnt get bitten in Egypt. I had a few last time but not as severe as you. I do feel for people when I see them covered and they take an age to go dont they?

L

lyndsay552

Oh yes!! The scars are still on my legs from Thailand. The worst is the sand flies, the last time I got bit by one was on the middle of my thigh and it swole to 4ins x 4ins and about 2ins out the ways!! My husband took a photo because there is no way anyone would believe just how bad it was.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lyndsay - the sandflies must have been what got me in Dom Republic. We went a few years ago for Xmas and New year. We had a severe storm that lasted for 2 days. After being couped up indoors for 2 days I thought it would be a good idea for us all to go beach combing. Big mistake. By the time we had departed and were sitting in the airport my legs and arms began to swell. I was wearing jeans and they were getting tighter and tighter. I had to swap trousers with my teenage daughter as she was wearing joggers. It was really worrying.

L

lyndsay552

The best cure I found was cold towels. I spent two days in our bungalow with soaking wet towels wrapped around my legs to try and take the swelling down. I also got stuff called tiger balm which is a local concoction, not sure if the egyptians have something similar?

queenie40something

queenie40something

I was sat in the departure lounge with joggers rolled up above my knees and wet hand towels all over my legs!

C

CMChris

What you need for the bites is to poultice them to draw the yuk stuff out. Find a horse tack shop and get yourselves a Robinsons Animalintex Poultice. Its like a large rectangle (which you cut to size) of lint and you soak it in cool boiled water and bandage it over the infected bite. Use vetwrap bandage which sticks to itself to hold it in place then give it overnight and usually the bite will have spat out the gunky stuff and started to go down. Why is it animals have a better medical kit at their (our) disposal than humans?

L

lyndsay552

I have the vetwrap bandage for the dogs. I'll try and get the Poultice

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Lyndsay, you should be ok this time of year, just make sure you have insect spray and the aftersun with insect repelent in it, make sure first night there you spray thats the time I usually get bit, due to just dumping cases going out and not spraying. before you set off from home I know its silly o'clock but put aftersun on with insect repellant in.
Hope this helps
Jayne

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
I must be immune or else taste very nasty! I have lived in Spain 10 years and travelled all over and never get bitten! If I could analyse why and bottle it I could make a fortune!!

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Peter,

You must be lucky, but son't speak too soon remember Hurghada is a building site and they are forever digging up nests of the little blighters,also with the dirty water they use on plants from the hotels they love that. be prepared! You will have to let us know if you have been bit when you return.

Happy holiday

Jayne

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
No I've carried out full clinical trials! Been 7 times this year including January, March, April, August, September & November. Cairo, Sharm, Luxor, Aswan, Marsa the lot. Verdict: Officially immune!!

J

J4hurghada

Banned
lucky you, I thought I was till last time but was not sure weather that was the imacc I used before we went

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Going to go for the hairy look next time see if it was that. Not a pritty sight

L

lyndsay552

Means the wee buggers have to fight to get through the hair!! Sounds like a good idea!!