Odds & Sods

L

Lsab

Does anyone know what the traditional food or dish is for egypt?
They have loads of traditional dishes - a particularly strong flavoured soup called mulakiya (it's hard to put this into English spelling),the taamia that realestate mentioned you would probably know as falafal, the beans are known as fool (no idea how to spell these things - I'm trying to spell as they sound),a very cheap dish consisting of rice, lentils, fried onions and sauce is called kusheri and is very tasty. In Hurghada I'm sure they have loads of fresh fish and I'm sure there will be small take away places where you will be able to buy them grilled or fried. In Cairo (and here in Bahrain) we buy the fresh fish which they cook for you then I make the salad and rice to serve with it. As well as that, there's the lovely flat breads that again, I'm sure you will find in some small side street bakers plus of course, the usual sweets and pastries. One of the famous ones is kounafa and you would probably know baclava. If you want to know any more, just let me know!

L

lyndsay552

Hurghada has spoiled us. Just went out for a meal and a couple of drinks each and it was just over £40 (plus £15 in taxis) and we had to stand outside in the cold to have a smoke. Role on our permanent move to Hurghada; the same meal in the Hard Rock cost us £15!!!!!!!

Lyndsay

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Warning for the Ladies!

Hi Girls don't want to alarm you or anything but this was sent to me today:

Bottled water in your car can be very dangerous for women!

This is how Sheryl Crow got breast cancer. She was on the Ellen show and
said this same exact thing. This has been identified as the most common
cause of the high levels in breast cancer, especially in Australia

A friend whose mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer said the
doctor had told her: "Women should, on no account, drink bottled water that
has been left in a car".

The doctor said that heat reacts with the plastic of the bottle which has
certain chemicals that can lead to breast cancer. So, please, be careful and
do not drink bottled water that has been left in a car.

Pass this on to all the women in your life. This information is the kind we
need to know
and be aware, just might save us!

The heat causes toxins from the plastic to leak into the water and they have
found these toxins in breast tissue.

Use a stainless steel canteen or a glass bottle when you can!

Anyone else heard this? Any truth in it?

L

lyndsay552

Hi Peter,

Yes, I've heard of this before. My mum had breast cancer last year and I think she mentioned it to me.

Lyndsay

L

Lsab

That's a worry for me now. We have our drinking water delivered in the big bottles and they're carried around on the back of a truck all day in the searing heat that we get here.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

I guess it's something we all do. Living in Spain we always have a bottle of water in the car. Well no more, its fresh or nothing from now on.

L

Lsab

We don't really have much choice as the tap water isn't good to drink, so it's the big bottles or nothing. Even if we didn't have them delivered but bought them ourselves, they still stand outside the shops in the sun.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Can you not buy the water purifiers? We have a seperate tap in the kitchen which delivers purified water?

L

Leila

What do the icons on the left hand side of the threads page mean?

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Are you talking about the icons for Digg, Delicious, Technorati & Furl? They are social bookmarking sites where you can record articles of interest and recall them at will. I am sure that others will give you a fuller explanation...

L

Leila

dumb blonde

Are you talking about the icons for Digg, Delicious, Technorati & Furl? They are social bookmarking sites where you can record articles of interest and recall them at will. I am sure that others will give you a fuller explanation...
:confused::confused: what language are you speaking Peter? I don't know! those envelop things, and something that looks like pages. And what's a 'sticky'?:eek:

L

Lsab

Just a quick one - what kind of beasties can we expect in Hurghada?
Now that summer is approaching...what about the dreaded cockroaches! We moved into a brand new building in Bahrain 4 years ago and didn't see any for a few years. It takes a while for them to infiltrate - beware! I know they reside in Egypt too - I've seen them!! They spray the common areas of our building quite regularly now and wondered if they do the same there? Actually we don't get many and they are small but for me they're a thousand times worse than spiders:eek:

J

johnnyM

UK Plugs

Now that summer is approaching...what about the dreaded cockroaches! We moved into a brand new building in Bahrain 4 years ago and didn't see any for a few years. It takes a while for them to infiltrate - beware! I know they reside in Egypt too - I've seen them!! They spray the common areas of our building quite regularly now and wondered if they do the same there? Actually we don't get many and they are small but for me they're a thousand times worse than spiders:eek:
Sorry I know this does not follow the thread but don't really know how to start a new one ?
Does anyone know what plug adaptors we need to use UK electronics in Egypt? Is it the european ones ?

V

vix

Sorry I know this does not follow the thread but don't really know how to start a new one ?
Does anyone know what plug adaptors we need to use UK electronics in Egypt? Is it the european ones ?
I bought quadruple adapters which take multi plug, ie either the European two pin or square 3 pin for just 20 LE. Very good buy we thought.