Odds & Sods

P

propertastic

Mosquitoes can be a pain - that's all we encountered on our trip, so it's worth getting spray.

L

lyndsay552

I was ate alive in Thailand (well actually every country I've ever visited) by the mosquitoes and also sand flies have a good feast on me!! Looks like I'll have to stock up on anti-histamines.

RedSeaVision.com

RedSeaVision.com

You can also buy an effective electronic plug in devise to get rid of the ones that seem to find their way into your home, and bite you while you are sleeping.

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi guys,

I believe yeast tablets are a good deterrent for the mosquitos,however i believe you need to start taking them a few days before departure.Usually mosquitos are unseen as they are quite small,the Egyptian ones however are massive LOL.

L

lyndsay552

I used the plug-in in Thailand and it was much better than the smoke rings, everything was stinking of smoke after using them.

Just another question, does egypt have any smoking regulations?

Lyndsay

RedSeaVision.com

RedSeaVision.com

You can pretty much smoke everywhere in Egypt. You will see them smoking in banks when they are changing your money, smoking behind the glass at immigration. Of course at every restaurant and bar you can smoke.

L

lyndsay552

So, the complete opposite from the UK!! Can you get the UK brand cig's in Hurghada? or will we be stuck with the really, really strong cut the throat of you local brand?

RedSeaVision.com

RedSeaVision.com

So, the complete opposite from the UK!! Can you get the UK brand cig's in Hurghada? or will we be stuck with the really, really strong cut the throat of you local brand?
You can get many UK brands for about 1 GBP per pack or cheaper. You can also get many US brands, but they do taste a bit different. I think they are made under license in Egypt.

L

lyndsay552

Happy days!! I am currently paying £5 a packet here but it means I don't have the incentive to stop!!

A

awahee123

Banned
I believe certain brands are available but are limited,however there are good egyptian brands available at a fraction of the cost.What I did was to buy a pack of 20 and try a few before I came across one I liked,now I just go and buy 200 at a time they are so cheap like everything else, plus a bit more for the tourist off course.
When I say Egyptian,I don't mean they are all made in Egypt if you know what I mean.

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi Lyndsay,

At abu Ashra last year 50p english for a pack of 20

L

lyndsay552

Can you remember the brand? What do you smoke in the UK?

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi LLyndsay,

I smoke mayfair smooth in the uk,but found a brand over there by the name of Extra in a light blue packet I believe they are made by philip morris,I might be wrong.
If you smoke mild then these are good.There are plenty of guys out at night selling them for under 40le for 200 including Marlboro lights etc.I haven't tried them though as they may not be the real thing you never know.

L

lyndsay552

At home I smoke Mayfair regular, i'll probably try what you said and buy 20 at a time until i find a brand i can smoke.

Thanks for the info

Lyndsay

A

awahee123

Banned
Your welcome they do have a dark blue packet of extra as well but I haven't tried them i'm afraid.

P

propertastic

Oh, now we are on to one of my favorite subjects!

When it comes to smoking, Egypt is like going back to the 1970's - everyone's at it everywhere. It's practically compulsory! Everyone's smoking away in their offices. Bliss.

It's funny, I've had this on-going joke that "I'm going to give up when they reach a pound."

I said this first in the UK in about 1983 (and totally ignored it obviously).

Then they just reached a pound in Prague when I left there in 2002 and moved to Latvia where there were 60p.

There was a huge price hike here that took my brand from 85p to 1.26 on 1 Jan, so it's funny that I'm off again to somewhere where it's under a quid again.

My regular brand this days, L&M, I remember costs about the same as in Latvia around 80-90p per packet. I can't tell any diffetence between them and the ones I smoke in Latvia.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
we smoke the L&M blue while out in Egypt shop around 45le-50le with free lighters for box of 200 not bad.

L

lyndsay552

Excellent, Nick the world wide traveller who is always on the hunt for the illusive under a quid packet of fags!!

P

propertastic

Excellent, Nick the world wide traveller who is always on the hunt for the illusive under a quid packet of fags!!
Great - you just given me the idea for my next book:

Fagtastic's Complete Guide to Cheap Smokes Around the World :)