Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
J

J4hurghada

Banned
has anyone found out the real costs of living in Hurghada yet.
And what will the cost be of council tax in 7 years be when all us buyers have to pay that.
What about the banking and paying bills do they charge?
Telephone charges and internet?
How much will the maintainance go up each year?

A

awahee123

Banned
I'm sure the maintenance will jump the rate of inflation every year as it is a joke to the people who will collect it,thet can make a good living just from this let alone anything else.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Its interesting to see that 50% of the people actually living in Egypt who have taken part in the poll are living on 500€ per month or less and 50% say it costs more than 600€per month. I wonder if the higher figure is purely on the coast? What is the cost of living like in Cairo or Luxor?

Y

YVETTE

Hi i have read your poll with interest, we are moving to El Gouna in 2 weeks time, so will let you have my feedback once i have experienced it first hand!!

Can anyone tell me where to do the main family food shop in El Gouna/Hurghada is there a supermarket or is it a case of buy as you need it daily? - my husband couldn't find a big supermarket, maybe thats just a bloke thing though!!!

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Hi Yvette and a Happy New Year to you! Is this a permanent move? How many times have you been to Egypt before? We are planning to move out this year but probably not until the Summer - we have two houses to sell in Spain first.

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi Yvete,

There are certainly plenty of supermarkets in Hurghada,there is the metro,Abu Ashra who have quite a few stores as well as many others,They are probably not as big as the supermmarkets in the UK however they are scattered all over just ask someone for the nearest one.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

The following is a link to a price check website which some people might find interesting.

LPrices

Y

YVETTE

Hi Yvette and a Happy New Year to you! Is this a permanent move? How many times have you been to Egypt before? We are planning to move out this year but probably not until the Summer - we have two houses to sell in Spain first.
Peter - Happy New year to you too!! Yes this is a permanent move, we have been living in the Alicante, spain region for 4 years, and we too have a house to sell, but have decided to rent in El Gouna to begin with and until the Spanish house sells. My husband works in Egypt so we thought it would be easier & nicer to live there with him instead of him coming ang going a month at a time!:)

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Not a good time to sell in Spain unfortunately, but the market will recover; its just a matter of time. I wish you all the best with your move. What does your husband do?

Y

YVETTE

Not a good time to sell in Spain unfortunately, but the market will recover; its just a matter of time. I wish you all the best with your move. What does your husband do?
You are so right, the property market here in Spain has just gone so quiet, but like you say we just have to hang in there and wait and see. My husband works for BP in Egypt.

May i just take this opportunity to say i have gathered so much sensible information off this forum over the last few months. - Although it does get a little personal at times!!!!! But Thankyou anyway.

Keep in touch and maybe we could meet up when you eventually move out to El Gouna.:)

D

dave99

Is that with insurance

Now I understand how Hertz can offer than EUR35/week 'all you can drive' deal.

I didn't know before that fuel was that cheap out there.
Is that with insurance, if so what does it cover.

I think that EUR35 for a week looks far too low for anything that's fit to drive, with insurance.

The normal car insurance costs are in-line with the UK so I cannot see this being the total cost for a week.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Does anyone know the true cost of hiring a decent small car with insurance in Hurghada? I need to hire one at the end of the month when I go out?

P

propertastic

You get a driver included for that price as well.

I know that it is only for local journeys - you can't start driving to Cairo and back for that price, so it's more of a personal taxi service than a standard rental deal.

Still a good one though.

A

awahee123

Banned
Can anyone confirm the cost of bottled gas for your cooker?..
I am told it is £1 AND LASTS A FAIR TIME.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi my English friend lives in Sharm and she leases a car and has started her own business as the only English ( and female so causes a few raised eyebrows ) taxi driver. I know she pays quite alot to lease it ( around £500 a month ) which includes insurance etc. she said she would never buy one as the locals have no respect when it comes to driving. If they drive into you they will quickly drive off again. I was with her last April and a big truck went into the side of us, he stopped and as she got out of the car he got back in and drove off leaving a huge dent in the side! Alot of them arent Insured.

She rents her apartment for 2500le a month including internet access.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Can anyone confirm the cost of bottled gas for your cooker?..
I am told it is £1 AND LASTS A FAIR TIME.

I was quoted £2 for the cost of gas but mine has not run out yet, but we are out in April if it runs out then I will let you know.

G

GM43

Banned
that is for the household gas bottle (app 80cm high?). Normally the guard (Arabic: baweb) takes care of getting them. Regularly a pickup? (small truck) is driving through the neighborhood with bottles, a guy is "hammering" on one.

We have a spare one, easier if you run out of gas!

BTW: at first you have to buy one (or two) bottle(s). One bottle costs app. LE 100?, but I'm not sure as my husband takes care of that and we moved in our house more than 5 years ago!
After you have bought one, you can change the bottle with the "gasman", for that you pay LE 8-10.

Don't buy a new one, which you can find most times in the "plastic" stores, because if you change the bottle, you get a used one (most times without paint) back.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
we were told the security guard will sort out the gas bottle for us when it run's out but it has not run out yet, I will check when we get there in April but don't do alot of cooking so it might last longer.