Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
Georgina

Georgina

I was especially interested in the postal service in El Gouna. Have you had any problems with mail from abroad? We were going to use the Royal Mail redirection service but we are unsure about the correct address to use. Would it be: house number, area in El Gouna, El Gouna, Hurghada, Egypt or is there something else we should know? Where is the post office in El Gouna and do we just go in and tell them we have arrived?

Thanks,
Margaret
Hi Margaret
Yes that is the address I use. I have no problems receiving simple letters but any post with something inside I would use a signed for service. A lot of things have never arrived. My sister posted a jiffy bag with a small tablecloth wrapped in Christmas paper with this service though. I guess the customs open the package because it arrived resealed and they had unwrapped my Christmas present and screwed everything up and shoved it back in the envelope :( I get bank statements, etc. sent here but most of my post goes to my brothers house in the UK and he opens it for me.

The post office is in Tamr Henna just round the corner from Best Way supermarket. Ezz is the manager so ask him about whether you need a box or he can just call you when mail arrives.

Good luck with the move.

M

M Butler

Living in El Gouna

Thanks Georgina.

How come banks and bills always seem to navigate the mail system???

I think it is customs that open packages. Our mail has been coming via my husband's company and although I did manage to get some things delivered, they had been 'investigated' but arrived intact.

Might think about having some things sent to my daughter though, good idea.

thanks again,
Margaret

L

Lsab

If you have an address that you can still use in Cairo Margaret, check this company ARAMEX :: Total Transportation Solutions :: International Express, Domestic Distribution, Freight and Logistics. They bypass the postal system totally. We use it all the time though not for letters - just packages. Hopefully they'll eventually have offices in other places in Egypt but at the moment they're only in Cairo and Alex.
The big attraction is that they give you a box number in the US and another in the UK so if you want to buy anything online but they don't deliver abroad, you use your Aramex box number. We've had everything from shoes to an electronic keyboard delivered. Prices are reasonable and no-one opens things up and rummages through!

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
We are planning on moving out to Hureghada at the end of June; we are bringing a 20' container from Spain with our personal effects. This is costing 2000€ but the biggest shock was the quote for transporting 4 dogs and 4 cats, a whopping 4000€! We have to find another way.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Thanks Georgina.

How come banks and bills always seem to navigate the mail system???

I think it is customs that open packages. Our mail has been coming via my husband's company and although I did manage to get some things delivered, they had been 'investigated' but arrived intact.

Might think about having some things sent to my daughter though, good idea.

thanks again,
Margaret
HI Margaret
There is fede office in El Gouna may be this will be good idea to use them

Georgina

Georgina

the biggest shock was the quote for transporting 4 dogs and 4 cats, a whopping 4000€! We have to find another way.
Take great care with the poison everywhere! Not sure what it is like in Hurghada. There is rat poison everywhere but they used to put poison down for the packs of desert dogs. Sadly so many of the domestic dogs ate it in El Gouna.

M

M Butler

If you have an address that you can still use in Cairo Margaret, check this company ARAMEX :: Total Transportation Solutions :: International Express, Domestic Distribution, Freight and Logistics. They bypass the postal system totally. We use it all the time though not for letters - just packages. Hopefully they'll eventually have offices in other places in Egypt but at the moment they're only in Cairo and Alex.
The big attraction is that they give you a box number in the US and another in the UK so if you want to buy anything online but they don't deliver abroad, you use your Aramex box number. We've had everything from shoes to an electronic keyboard delivered. Prices are reasonable and no-one opens things up and rummages through!
Sounds excellent. I wonder how they get around customs inspections?
I am also wondering about new bank cards which are normally couriered to your UK address. Another thing to check out when we go back to the UK.

Thanks Linda,
Margaret

M

M Butler

Hi George,

I forgot about the Fedex office in El Gouna. Maybe they do mail forwarding also. Yet another thing to check out.

Some names to add to your list George are, eg, time of year when baby is born; April, May June, Julia, Augusta, are all names for girls. My personal favourite is Vivienne but my daughter would have none of it when my grand daughter was born.

Good luck and thanks again for your help last week.

Margaret

M

M Butler

We are planning on moving out to Hureghada at the end of June; we are bringing a 20' container from Spain with our personal effects. This is costing 2000€ but the biggest shock was the quote for transporting 4 dogs and 4 cats, a whopping 4000€! We have to find another way.
Hi Peter,

We have just been quoted 12,500 EGP plus 10% tax plus 1.5% of value of contents to move from Cairo to El Gouna. Just as well my husband's company is paying for the shipment to the UK.
We have also been quoted peculiar amounts of duty to keep some electrical kitchen equipment in Egypt. eg $75 for toaster, $75 for Magimix food processor, $75 for Kitchen Aid food mixer. The toaster didn't even cost that.

How were you planning for the cats and dogs to travel? Sounds like the Orient Express!!!

Margaret

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi George,

I forgot about the Fedex office in El Gouna. Maybe they do mail forwarding also. Yet another thing to check out.

Some names to add to your list George are, eg, time of year when baby is born; April, May June, Julia, Augusta, are all names for girls. My personal favourite is Vivienne but my daughter would have none of it when my grand daughter was born.

Good luck and thanks again for your help last week.

Margaret

Will be delivered by enof August ir first of september, we still looking for name
:)
By the way I forget to tell you my wife name is Margaret As well ;)

N

nubianqueen

georgina

just read your post about the cost of living in egypt el gouna i a going to visit my apartment when i go at the end of september, so i will remember to take my trainers! thank you for all that information and i hope that i pick up some tips for the forum too, anyway i am going armed with my exercise book:D

shokran

nubianqueen:cool: