Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
As a bit of a tele addict I was wondering what programmes you can get in Egypt and how much satelite channels cost? Anyone know the answers?

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

How many people living in Egypt or spending long periods of time there actually own a car and drive themselves? How have you found this - what problems or challenges have you experienced?

G

GM43

Banned
I am Dutch, married to an Egyptian, we have both a car (but both registered in his name, so he is doing all the paperwork). We are living in Egypt for more than 8 years. Since the beginning of this school year I am partly living in Cairo with the kids (11, 17, 19) because there are not (enough) study possibilities in Hurghada for the elder 2. Next year (inshaAllah) they will enter university, that is also not available in Hurghada.
I am travelling (sometimes every 2 weeks) in the weekend to Hurghada, in Cairo I bring my daughter to school. I don't like to drive in Cairo, but outside of Cairo and Hurghada: I like it! Normally the Cairo-Hurghada road is quiet.
I have no problems driving around in Hurghada.

Last edited:
Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Thank you for this! My wife is naturally concerned how we will adapt to a new way of life; particularly in a country where we don't speak the language. We have relatives in Cairo but Hurghada is too far for them to be visiting very often.
My father is Egyptian but I was born and brought up in the UK. I have only recently made contact with my Egyptian family so at 61 I am the 'new kid on the block'.!

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi People,
I really wouldn't have any reservations about moving out here tomorrow,the only thing that keeps me in the uk for now is my Son who is only just 17 so needs a helping hand until he at least leaves college,so a few years for me yet.
The prices for various items on this thread seem very reasonable,as long as they stay this way everything should be ok...

L

laughingmike

How realistic is moving to Hurghada

I am thinking of moving to Hurghada. I make my living on the internet at the moment so feel I would have a much better standard of living out here.

If I decided to move out here does anyone know what the taxation situation would be?

Also if I decided to supplement my income by getting work locally what are the restrictions for foreigners and is work for English only speakers available?

In a similar way, if I spotted a business opportunity how easy is it for foreigners to set up a business?

I apologise if these questions have been raised previously, I have been through many many threads and have not seen them covered.

I'm sure retired/self sufficient people have a wonderful life in Hurghada, but is it realistic for a non Arabic speaker who needs to earn money?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Regards

Mike

L

laughingmike

SKY/Satellite

Is SKY available in Hurghada?

I am particularly interested in knowing if SKY Sports is available, especially Attheraces and RacingUK (Part of Setanta) for British racing.

Thanks in advance

Mike

SHO

SHO

I find driving in Hurghada a doddle peter... in fact its easier than the UK as there is not much of a road system...just learn the basics (give way if you are on the roundabout to those coming onto a roundabout!!),push the loud pedal and go!!

Only thing you have to watch out for are the mobile speed monitors...which, if you have a foreign licence, might take the car instead as they cant take the licence!!!

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Hi laughingmike and welcome to the forum. It will be interesting to see what response you get as I am sure that many people are thinking the same way. I would have thought that running an Internet based business your income would be earned in the West and paid into an offshore account. Effectively you are then just living in Egypt from your own resources. I am sure that if you become tax resident then this balance would change. Anyone else know the implications of becoming tax resident in Egypt? How much is income tax? Can none Egyptians be employed and on what basis? There must be many people on the forum who would like to know.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Has anyone driven to Egypt from mainland Europe? One route would be Spain, Morocco, Algeria, Libya and then to Egypt. Can anyone suggest any other routes or am I being crazy to even think about it?

P

philthecar

sorry to be thick but we are looking at the prices of the food can anybody tell us what 2.5le equates to in english money. We are lost when it comes to the cost of small amounts in egyptian money although we think we are right in saying that 500le is 50 pounds english money for example.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
sorry to be thick but we are looking at the prices of the food can anybody tell us what 2.5le equates to in english money. We are lost when it comes to the cost of small amounts in egyptian money although we think we are right in saying that 500le is 50 pounds english money for example.
Phil just take off the end digit makes it easy or move the decimal point so 2.5le = 0.25 pence
1le = 0.10 pence
10le = 1.00

yes you are right enough in saying 500le = 50 english pounds

unless you start working out in the exchange rate then thing can get very confusing when the £ is worth 11.48le just keep it easy this time and work it to 10.00

P

propertastic

I have heard that the Egyptian postal service is a bit dodgy.

Is it possible to get a poste restante/PO Box/maildrop service at the post offices there?

Are they easy to set up, or do they want visas, etc.?

Any idea how much they cost?

R

redseasound

I have heard that the Egyptian postal service is a bit dodgy.

Is it possible to get a poste restante/PO Box/maildrop service at the post offices there?

Are they easy to set up, or do they want visas, etc.?

Any idea how much they cost?
I've been meaning to drop down to the Post Office to look into this as well, I did go to one but they tried to give me directions to the main office where i have to do it but i got lost and lost interest, 5 years here and I never had the need for a po box :) the last time i got a package it had been opened anyway so i gave up getting stuff sent i found the best way was to get it carried by a friend or family or one of my clients... if i get any good answers i'll post tomorrow...

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Redseasound - you are already looking like a real asset to Totally Property.

Last edited:
P

propertyborders

Is car rental in Egypt cheap or expensive for a small car?

What is the cheapest small car you have hired or seen advertised?

P

propertastic

Does anyone know what English language channels it is possible to pick up on standard Egyptian cable TV?

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Does anyone know what English language channels it is possible to pick up on standard Egyptian cable TV?
There are a few english channels on the sky, news, movies usually number 20 unpwards on the box. just flick through, but the hotels are diferent there's are in the 30s