Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Its amazing that almost as many people think you can live as a couple for 300€ per month or less as those that say 600€ per month or more? I wonder who is right?

propertywatch1

propertywatch1

<b>Official Photographer</b>
Having lived here in Hurghada for over 12 months now i thought i would share with you my monthly bills from December 2006 to December 2007.
Here are the bills for Electric,Water,Maintainace,ADSL and Gas bottle.For a 2 bed 1 bath 120 square mtr Apartment with 3 air-con units and shared swimming pool and lift.

Electric.... 1323 LE for the year

Water..... 1488 LE for the year

Maintainance. 1800 LE for the year

ADSL....... 1080 LE for the year

Gas Bottle.. 20 LE for the year

Total ....... 5711 LE for the year ........ Thats 475.91 LE Per Month

Around £519 per annum Or £43.25 per month

This is for a 12 month period of living out here full time and the bills are not estimated but are direct from the electric and water company's in my name.

L

lyndsay552

In the Uk my utility bills are about £400 a month!! Role on the move to Hurghada!!

L

lyndsay552

And thats not including car payments, mortgage, diesel or living expenses!!!!!!!!!!

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Thanks red sea for the info, the cost of living is a lot cheaper than we thought.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
For anyone considering permanent relocation to Egypt the following data may have some relevance. I have highlighted some of the most significant facts.

Last updated: 08 March, 2007

EGYPT

Major Economic Indicators

-
2007 Forecast

Population
2005 - 70.0 mn.
2006 - 71.3 mn.
2007 - 72.6 mn.

GDP
2005 - US$89.3 bn.
2006 - US$103.5bn.
2007 - N.A.

GDP Per Capita
2005 - US$1,200
2006 - US$1,380
2007 - N.A.

Real GDP Growth
2005 - +5.7%
2006 - +5.6%
2007 - +5.6%

Inflation
2005 - 4.0%
2006 - 4.1%
2007 - 6.2%

Unemployment
11.0%
10.9% (Sept)
N.A.

Exports
2005 - US$10.7bn.
2006 - US$10.2bn. (Sept)
2007 - N.A.

Export Growth
2005 - +43%
2006 - +42%
2007 - N.A.

Imports
2005 - US$19.9bn.
2006 - US$15.9bn. (Sept)
2007 - N.A.

Import Growth
2005 - +54%
2006 - +7%
2007 - N.A.

Reference Exchange Rate : US$ 1 to 5.70 Egyptian pounds on 8 March 2007

Recent Developments
The Egyptian government has instituted an Economic Reform Programme that has transformed Egypt into one of the most stable emerging markets. Its real economic growth stood at 5.6% in 2006, and is expected to register another 5.6% in 2007.
Tourism represents the main source of Egypt's revenue. In 2006, the number of tourists increased by 9% to 8.7 million. While the hotel sector witnessed a tangible leap, the revenues from the Suez Canal rose by 10% to US$3.8 billion in the fiscal year 2005/2006.
The Egyptian pound was allowed to float in January 2003. Capitalising on the depreciation of the currency, plus still-strong global demand, Egypt's exports rose substantially by 42% during January -- September of 2006.
The high unemployment rate remains as the Egyptian Economy's major weakness. The fast growing working population is the major cause to high unemployment. The labour force amounted to 21.8 million people (31% of the total population) in 2005/2006, and the unemployment rate stood at 11% in September 2006.
Current Economic Situation

Starting from 1991, the Egyptian government has instituted an Economic Reform Programme that has taken Egypt further along the road to a market economy. This involves the implementation of a set of economic policies to unleash market forces to drive growth and employment. Today, Egypt is one of the most stable emerging markets.

Egypt's economy is on the road to recovery, with GDP growing by 5.6% in 2006 and another expected 5.6% in 2007. Tourism represents the main source of Egypt's revenue. In 2006, the number of tourists increased by 9% to 8.7 million. While the hotel sector witnessed a tangible leap, the revenues from the Suez Canal rose by 10% to US$3.8 billion in the fiscal year 2005/2006.

Meanwhile, petroleum and natural gas take up roughly 11% of Egypt's GDP. Total exports of crude oil, natural gas, petroleum products and petrochemicals reached about 401 million ton in 2005/2006. The export value of petroleum sector rose from US$1 billion in 1999 to US$11.5 billion in 2005/2006.

The Egyptian government put an end to the peg of the Egyptian pound with the US dollar in January 2003. While allowing the Egyptian pound to float, the government has stepped in to limit the decline of the currency. Despite this effort, however, the Egyptian pound has depreciated by about 17% since January 2003. Thanks to the depreciated Egyptian pound, plus still-strong global demand, Egypt's exports surged by 42% during January -- September of 2006.

The continued decline of Egyptian pound, on the other hand, has fuelled inflation. In 2006, Egypt's inflation rate grew at an annual rate of 4.1%, and is expected to quicken to 6.2% in 2007.

Yet, the high unemployment rate, at 11% in September 2006, remains as the Egyptian economy's major weakness, and the creation of sufficient jobs is the government's main economic priority. The fast growing working population is the major cause to high unemployment. The labour force amounted to 21.8 million people (31% of the total population) in 2005/2006, and will likely reach 22.4 million people in 2006/2007.

Trade Policy

Egypt has gradually moved towards a more liberal trade regime. It became a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 1995, and revamped its tariff regime in 2004 as agreed in its accession agreement. In September 2004, the Government of Egypt announced a new tariff structure, which removed services fees and import surcharges. The new tariff rates range from 2% for raw materials, spare parts, and primary feeding products to 40% for durable consumer goods. The changes in tariffs have brought down the weighted average rate from 14.6% to 9.1%.

In general, high import tariff rates are applied on products which compete with domestic production and threaten related industries. For instance, the government applies a 135% tariff rate on imported vehicles with engines larger than 1,600 cc. In order to protect its clothing industry, the Egyptian government levies a 40% import tax on foreign clothing. In addition to customs tariffs, all goods are subject to a 10% of General Sales Tax (GST),while a higher rate of 25% is applied on some luxury goods.

Starting from late 1998, Egypt requires all imported consumer goods to be shipped direct from the country of origin and accompanied by a certificate of origin authenticated by an Egyptian Representation (i.e., embassy or consulate). However, consumer goods originated from the Chinese mainland can be shipped via Hong Kong.

Egypt requires restrictive labelling for imports of food products. All food products should be packed in appropriate packages, which should be clean, intact, and odourless so as to preserve the products and not affect its characteristics. Imported products must be marked and labelled in Arabic. The language requirement is mandatory for all information, including the brand and type of the products, country of origin, date of production, expiry date, and instructions on handling products. For imported tools, machines and equipment, a user manual in Arabic has to be attached.

There are ten free trade zones in Egypt: Cairo (Nasr City),Alexandria, Port Said, Suez, Ismailia, Damietta, Media, Shebin El-Kom, Qeft and Port Said East Port. Goods exported from or imported into the free zones are not subject to normal import/export customs procedures, duties or other taxes and fees. Likewise all instruments, machinery, equipment, and transportation equipment necessary for establishments authorised within the free zones are exempt from customs and taxes.

The EU as a bloc is Egypt's largest trading partner, accounting for some 40% of Egypt's total trade, followed by the US (14%). The EU-Egypt Association Agreement entered into force in June 2004. The EU lifted all trade barriers to Egyptian industrial exports, while Egypt committed itself to removing all related trade barriers over a 12 -15 year transitional period. In addition, the EU significantly increased the tariff quotas granted for Egypt's main agricultural exports, whereas Egypt reduced tariff duties for a number of EU agricultural exports in return, including processed agricultural and fisheries products.

P

propertastic

Its amazing that almost as many people think you can live as a couple for 300€ per month or less as those that say 600€ per month or more? I wonder who is right?
I don't think that there is any right or wrong answer.

It's just that 'living well' is very subjective.

'Living well' to some people is having cream cakes on a Friday.

'Living well' to others is eating at Little Buddha every night.

In most poorer countries it is possible to exist on very little money - pensioners in Latvia seem to get by on just GBP100 per month.

But I tried for a few months getting by on GBP500 per month for a while and was very rarely able to manage it.

P

propertastic

ADSL....... 1080 LE for the year
That's a lot cheaper than the prices that were given on another thread for ADSL a couple of weeks ago. Then I was told that ADSL was GBP20-50 per month.

Who do you use, Derek, and what speed do you get?

propertywatch1

propertywatch1

The living costs i have given you are my living costs for the whole of the year. My ADSL is showing cheaper than a normal ADSL account due to the fact that i share aa 2 meg connection between 4 of us so only pay a quater of the price you would normaly pay.

I doubt you would be lucky enough to find 3 other people to share the cost of ADSL unless you are living here in Hurghada on a perminant basis and not just using your apartment as a holiday retreat.

Remember you will have to have a land line installed and it has to be billed in your name for you to complete and return the ADSL contract forms. And as a single user the prices i quoted before will apply.

propertastic... the prices i quoted for ADSL are 100% correct. and the bills i added to this thread are my bills for the year.

P

propertastic

So the price is about GBP33 per month for a 2-Meg connection if it's not shared with anyone. That's still a better price than I have heard before.

Which company do you use for it?

A

awahee123

Banned
Wow some good info on this thread,it just shows you nearly everything is very reasonably priced in Egypt which should allow anybody thinking of moving out there a comfortable life for very little.

propertywatch1

propertywatch1

For those of you who haven't been to Hurghada here are some food prices.
Please note these are average prices obviously different shops charge different prices ...but i thought it would be helpful.

Water.....6l........4.5 le
milk........500ml...2.25 le
pop.fanta.7 up etc 1ltr 3.25 le
sugar......1 kg.....3.25 le
nescafe...100g....13 le
lipton tea bags.25..4 l4
bread toatie loaf....5 le
eggs......50 piasters.10=5 le
butter.....1/2 kg...13 le
wahing up liquid...4.5 le
soap..lux..camay..1 le
washing powder..ariel persil..sm bag..1.25 le
fingers from bakery..6..1 le
chicken..cooked with salad and bread..20 le (from mubarek 2)
fefafel sandwich.....1 le (from mubarek 2)
pizza medium chicken...12 le (from mubarek 2)
market
potatoes...2 le..kg
tomatoes...2 le..kg
peppers.....3 le..kg
onions.......3 le..kg
cucumbers..2 le kg
bananas.....3.5 le..kg
strawberries..5 le kg

L

lyndsay552

What are the alcohol prices like Derek?

Is it possible to get Jack Daniels? (My husbands drink!!)

propertywatch1

propertywatch1

Here are some prices for electrical goods....i priced these up a few months ago but i dont think they will have changed a lot.
Remember if you are buying a few items they will charge less.... if you ask!!!.

gas cooker....free standing...basic....400 le
gas cooker....free standing..kiriazi.....1000 le
fridge/freezer...toshiba..3 door...frost free..60cm x 62cm..1800 le
..........................................................66cm x 62cm...2200 le
basic microwave.........900 le
washers...zanussi from.....2200 le to 3900 le...(various models)
..............national from.....1200 le
dishwasher....ideal(zanussi)..1675 le
..................national...1200 le
tv...lcd...32"...10,000 le
.............26"....8000 le
normal (crt) tv...32"..1500 le
Satellite Dish + Motor 1200 le
Water Heater 500 le
King Size Matress 900 le
Double Matress 700 le

Other Useful Information

Sim Cards Mobinil/Etisalat 50 le

P

propertastic

What are the alcohol prices like Derek?

Is it possible to get Jack Daniels? (My husbands drink!!)
Good question.

I know that, within 48 hours of arrival, if you have your passport, you can use the duty free shops where prices were very cheap - perhaps a tenner for a bottle of whisky.

But I couldn't find anywhere else selling any alcohol other than beer.

Spirits in the clubs we went to seemed very expensive, so I am guessing that buying bottles from the off-licence is not going to be cheap either.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
We tend to take bottles out with us from dutie free at Manchester, My Hubbie likes his Vodka and so do I, We did last time out there buy bottle of Vodka from Bar cost about £15 but that was because we looked like tourists. You can buy beer from the bar's to take out for the same price as they sell it in the bar's depending on which bar you are at (downtown Hurghada 60 pence a bottle to £2 a bottle hotel prices). There is no off-licence we got egyptian with beer licence to get us some cans of beer from cash and carry.

P

propertastic

After my unsuccessful attempt to get anything from the Duty Free Shop in the Touristic Centre because I didn't realize that you could only buy within 48 hours of arrival, my taxi driver did say there was somewhere else he could try but unfortunately I then had to rush off for a meeting and so never found out exactly where it was it was either in Sekalla or Dahar though - I remember that much.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
also remember to take your passport with you to the dutie free shop if buying within the 48 hours of landing in Hurghada they will not serve you without it.

P

propertastic

also remember to take your passport with you to the dutie free shop if buying within the 48 hours of landing in Hurghada they will not serve you without it.
Yes, I found that out the hard way.

The first time I went there, they told me that they couldn't sell me anything without a passport, so I had to get the taxi driver to take me back to the hotel to pick it up.

I got back and they took one look at it, saw I'd been there for more than 48 hours and so my trip was in vain.

I wondered how come all of the bottles were covered in dust and there was no one else in there - now I know. Even though the prices are really cheap, I wonder how they stay in business when it's so hard to buy anything from them.

I guess that those in the know buy in bulk as soon as they get there.

Are there limits as to how much you can buy, do you know?

G

GM43

Banned
You can go to Drinkies, 167 El Sheraton St.
El Hadaba, Hurghada
Tel: 19330
or call them for delivery.

also there is a shop in downtown, enter the street next to post office, to the mosque then turn left, it is somewhere on the left.