Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi George - just shows it is the same all over. I can not count the amount of jobs I had until I really found my goal in Insurance at the age of 32 ish give or take. Insurance has been the longest industry that I have stayed in. Starting from selling and working up to Underwriting and Team Leader. Every day / call / enquiry / need for help differs. Some find it boring but not me.

J

Jeremy Sturgess

Teach your kids a trade - hubby is in the building trade and our son has worked with him from the age of 17. Paul has never in 27 yrs been out of work in the UK ( everyone needs houses built, repaired, roads repaired, pipes re - layed ) and he has worked for the same firm from the age of 16. I am a Motor Insurance Underwriter and so is my daughter, this is compulsory in the UK, every needs to eat and everyone needs their hair cut.
Sometimes kids can go to Uni for yrs and still be unemployed at the end of all their hard studies. Get a City and Guilds in plumbing and you won t go far wrong.
What does our youngest want to do!! dont know?????? I try to tell her to look at what Mr Average needs but it falls on deaf ears. She just doesnt know and I think there are so many choices out there for them but they need to be realistic. She really likes media, photography and graphics but what are her chances of working for a magazine or newspaper??? Chances are she wont go to Uni. She has said she wants to work in childcare but I desperately am trying to talk her out of that one / or it will be chef!! even worse. Choices choices - just glad Im not a teen and Im in my 40's looking to live the dream in Egypt!! xxx
Queenie youre right. If they dont like real estate then they will never go hungry if they have a trade and you can live anywhere in the world.

My son wants to be a footballer for now and famous. Keeps saying to me why arnt you famous daddy ? When I ask why do you want me to be famous he replies -so we would be rich !. I think he gets it from his mother !

Oh to be 8 years old again.

queenie40something

queenie40something

LOL too true Jeremy. My dad was a goalkeeper and was about to sign a contract with a league team in the late 50's early 60's but just before he signed he done his back in. Que sera sera - could have been a daughter of a member of the 66 world cup squad!! Still Bobby Moores son Dean was landlord of our local for a while a few yrs ago and we had many a lock in sessions with him!! and I sat on his dads directors chair from Escape to Victory - thats my claim to fame LOL x

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Queenie youre right. If they dont like real estate then they will never go hungry if they have a trade and you can live anywhere in the world.

My son wants to be a footballer for now and famous. Keeps saying to me why arnt you famous daddy ? When I ask why do you want me to be famous he replies -so we would be rich !. I think he gets it from his mother !

Oh to be 8 years old again.
I don't blame your son jeremy if the football or sports start are so dam rich and they just play a game they love why not do the same ??? :rolleyes:
we here run the whole of our day working and we don't do half of what they earn so I think he got a point LOL :)

N

not_terry

Does anyone know how much it costs to buy a motor bike in egypt.

Also what is the best way to buy food, especially fresh food at good or even egyptian prices. SShop / supermarket prices seem to vary so much

How much should I expect to pay for Milk, bread, eggs, fish, meat etc

queenie40something

queenie40something

Also what is the best way to buy food, especially fresh food at good or even egyptian prices. SShop / supermarket prices seem to vary so much

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum. I am having problems getting connected and am currently sitting in my local with my laptop using their internet!

Have you seen this thread http://www.totallyproperty.com/egyptian-lounge/5249-supermarkets-shopping-egypt-2.html where there is a link to the Metro supermarket where you will get an idea of some of the prices. It will be cheaper if you find local markets and make friends with a local and take them shopping with you as they will then get cheaper local prices for you.

Regards

Alison

L

Lsab

Can't help you with the motor bike Kerry, but post #52 on this thread lists the prices of lots of basic foods.

I

Ira

great to get the views of non Egyptians who have moved to the country permanently.

Is your standard of living better or worse than your home country and how much would you say you need to live well for a month? See poll above
I live in Egypt 3 years. Have good work, rent flat. Living standats higher then in my country. NOt planning to go back. everything is cheap here. Llife is simple, climat is good. don't miss anything from my country.

L

Lsab

Hi Ira and welcome to the forum. Do you live in Hurghada? If so, can I ask where? It's always good to have input from members who actually live in Egypt. Any further contribution you can make will be most helpful e.g. where in your opinion are the best places for eating out, shopping etc?

Best wishes
Linda

I

Ira

where in your opinion are the best places for eating out, shopping etc?
Hi Linda. In Hurghada you have great oportunity to choose any restaurant from oriental to european. you can find here even russian restaurant. I prefer egyptian food in some of small restaurants on Sherry street.
Shopping, depends of what you want to buy. food - Abu Ashara market, frutes, vegetables - market in Dahar.

Clothes a lot of shops on Shery street. One thing is difficult for me, to find european cloth for me. I can't wear egyptian stile. But still possible to find some nice things

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi Linda. In Hurghada you have great oportunity to choose any restaurant from oriental to european. you can find here even russian restaurant. I prefer egyptian food in some of small restaurants on Sherry street.
Shopping, depends of what you want to buy. food - Abu Ashara market, frutes, vegetables - market in Dahar.

Clothes a lot of shops on Shery street. One thing is difficult for me, to find european cloth for me. I can't wear egyptian stile. But still possible to find some nice things
in Hurghada you can find shops for Puma, Addidas, and timberland and other international brands so no worries about clothes

L

Lsab

Hi George - Ira has lived in Hurghada for 3 years now but can't find the sort of clothes he'd like. Someone needs to open a very smart clothes shop:)
When are you back from Cairo?

I

Ira

European cloth

in Hurghada you can find shops for Puma, Addidas, and timberland and other international brands so no worries about clothes
I forgot to mention that I can find egyptian stile and sport stile. I am interested more in normal everyday cloth, wich I can wear for work in the office. So... Puma and Adidas is obviously not what I am dreaming about

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi George - Ira has lived in Hurghada for 3 years now but can't find the sort of clothes he'd like. Someone needs to open a very smart clothes shop:)
When are you back from Cairo?
hI ISAB
THERE IS Guy La Rouch just opened last year, and there is concrete shop in the promenade, and there is Daly Dress which is realy amazing as well So i hope this covers your needs IRa for working cloths i wonder how 3 years and don't find

ScottyMac

ScottyMac

Hi all,

Whats the best option for me getting around Hurghada? Is it small enough to walk everywhere? should i hire a car or are taxis readily availible?

cheers

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi all,

Whats the best option for me getting around Hurghada? Is it small enough to walk everywhere? should i hire a car or are taxis readily availible?

cheers
hello
taxis vilable but i think you should hire a care there is company called any time limo for 30 Euro per day inside the town with driver so its much beter than taxi

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi George it is 36 Euros a week or 15 a day with unlimited use 24hrs a day.