Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
queenie40something

queenie40something

So is that a car with a driver or just a hire car?
Hi it is car and driver. Basically once you pay either your daily, 3 day or weekly fee they give you a membership card with their telephone number. You can then call them as many times as you wish ( day and night 24 hrs ) and they will come and pick you up. They will be with you in around 20 mins and this covers a family of up to 4 which I think is excellent value. See http://www.totallyproperty.com/egyptian-lounge/5786-hurghada-transportations.html for their website which will give you more details including geographical limits etc.

N

not_terry

Can someone advise me on telephone costs to uk and best way of accomplishing this. ie Phone booth, hotel, or what.

Also I intend to purchase an Egyption mobile since using a uk one out there is not only expensive but i also pay for incoming calls.

How would I go about getting one and what sort of costs for purchase of phone

what charges can i expect to uk

Can i do pay as you go

any other advice

tnx

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Kerry see this thread http://www.totallyproperty.com/egyptian-lounge/6454-egyptian-sim-cards.html you can buy the simcards from Mobinil and Egypt Vodaphone - there is a shop in Naama bay but will be cheaper in Hadaba and Old Market.

To call another country from Egypt dial your country code then area code then the number. To call Egypt from abroad the dialling code is 002.
Local dialling codes are
Sharm 069, Hurghada 065, Luxor 095, Cairo 02, Alex 03, Aswan 097.
The cheapest time to call using a landline is after 8pm. If you want to make an International call then you can buy a Mena Tel card for around 20le and it will give you around 3 mins worth of calls anywhere around the world. The hotel room phones are very expensive so avoid

I think the sim cards are valid for 30 days and can be topped up.

Hope this helps

Alison

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Can someone advise me on telephone costs to uk and best way of accomplishing this. ie Phone booth, hotel, or what.

Also I intend to purchase an Egyption mobile since using a uk one out there is not only expensive but i also pay for incoming calls.

How would I go about getting one and what sort of costs for purchase of phone

what charges can i expect to uk

Can i do pay as you go

any other advice

tnx
cost per minute to al Uk from Egypt around 3.5 to 4 L.E per minute and rest of your questions queenie already answered

N

not_terry

I was going to buy a phone in egypt complete with sim card good idea / bad idea ?

G

GM43

Banned
To call another country from Egypt dial your country code then area code then the number. To call Egypt from abroad the dialling code is 002.
Egypt is 020!!!
We also have Etisalat. But I think Vodafone has the best coverage. I think when you purchase a line ask if you can call abroad.

L

Lsab

No - it's definately 002 :) For Cairo, which we phone all the time it's 002 02 but don't know other area codes!!

M

M Butler

I was going to buy a phone in egypt complete with sim card good idea / bad idea ?
Buy a sim card for your UK phone. Phones are more expensive here, at least they were when I bought mine.

Margaret

G

GM43

Banned
No - it's definately 002 :) For Cairo, which we phone all the time it's 002 02 but don't know other area codes!!
Egypt is (00)20, or +20, then you remove (as everywhere) the 0 from the city!
so Cairo is +202...., Hurghada +2065....
If you call London from England: I think you dial 020.... but if you call it from abroad it is: +4420.....

Take a look at this website: International Dialing Codes - how to call from Egypt - Cairo to U.K. - England - London
Here: International Dialing Codes are all the international dialing codes.

A

Agnieszka Egypt

ITS A VERY GOOD IDEA. THE PHONES ARE VERY CHEAP AND THE CALLS EVEN CHEAPER. PLUS ITS THE SAME COST TO CALL ANYWHERE IN EGYPT

N

not_terry

Weekends ???

Hi
Are weekends in Egypt as in UK, in particular is the passport office at El Tur closed on Saturday or Sunday, do businesses close any particular days or times of days for 'siestas'

Cheers

L

Lsab

The weekend is friday/saturday. Not sure about general working hours.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
The weekend is friday/saturday. Not sure about general working hours.
for us who live and work in Sharm or Hurghada, there is no week end, it depends, when we can take day off, we work seven days a week, even if you own your business this doesn't mean you can control it as you will work more
But in cairo it friday and saturday

L

Lsab

Kerry would like to know about the passport office, George, plus other official places of work.