Furniture in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PineNut

Thanks Alison, he sounds like a good person to know! I'll keep an eye out on this thread to see what happens!

Thanks again:)

queenie40something

queenie40something

Your welcome - I will take lots of pics - if I can work out how to work my new camera!!

N

nini20498

We came out a year ago to live here and had the same problem having bought 2 properties here.The only furniture shops here have limited choice and you buy the stock that they have on display in the shop.We found the quality not to UK standards especially furniture constructed from wood (as here they use mdf and paricle board).
So we search out a carpenter with a lagre well equipped workshop who made all our furniture by hand from solid wood from our designs at the fraction of the cost .This also included a kitchen custom built.
He let us visit the workshop many times to see the progress and we took many photos.
We are pleased with everything he has made including the sofas,beds,wardrobes dressing tables and kitchen.

Pm if you want any info

Ex-Boltonian living in Hurghada
Hello,
I also bought 2 appartments in hurghada and will be going to egypt,end of july to furnish them.I would like the nae and the telephone nummber from the carpenter,is he In hurghada?how much did u pay for the totaal package?how long did it take him to finsh it?
Thankx

Georgina

Georgina

Egyptian style

I went for a more Egyptian style. The wooden chest was brought from a poor market in Cairo and restored. Curtains are found easily in Hurghada. Chairs were made in Hurghada for 40 pounds sterling each including cushions. They have Arabesque detail on the front. Chandelier from Glamour Gallery in Hurghada. Jug on copper table from a souk in Aswan. It was black and took me days to polish. And hours to haggle over the price. Paid 20 quid. No idea if I was ripped off or not!

Attachments

L

Lsab

Hi nini,

The person you asked the question to, is no longer a member of the forum. Have a look at some more recent posts on the thread as I'm sure that other members will be able to help.

Best wishes

Linda

D

distant dreamer

We've had the pleasure of staying in Georginas apartment (hi Georgina!) and its wonderful. It inspired us to purchase in El Gouna, which we did do, but unfortunately nothing we saw there quite matched Georgina's. She has a roof terrace with possibly the best 360 degree views of El Gouna which is simply priceless!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Electronic safe

Hi all

I have just been to Aldi to buy a couple of 2 GB SD memory cards for just £6.99 each and saw that they were selling safes so bagged a bargain.

They weigh 10kg and measure H 250mm, D 250mm and W 350mm ( too big to go as hand luggage ).

It is AA battery operated and is like the touch pad ones you get in the hotels so guests can tap in their own number. You also get 2 back up keys if the batteries die. It can we wall or floor mounted and comes complete with bolts etc. It was only £14.99 so even if you have to pay 10kg excess baggage most airlines you can pre book for about £5 per kg making it another £50 so I still think at £64.99 it is a bargain. There are 4 of us going in June so Im sure we will manage between us to travel a little lighter.

Similar to this one Keyguard Electronic: Winterfield Safes - The Largest Selection Of High Security & Fireproof Safes Online

V

vix

Hi all

I have just been to Aldi to buy a couple of 2 GB SD memory cards for just £6.99 each and saw that they were selling safes so bagged a bargain.

They weigh 10kg and measure H 250mm, D 250mm and W 350mm ( too big to go as hand luggage ).

It is AA battery operated and is like the touch pad ones you get in the hotels so guests can tap in their own number. You also get 2 back up keys if the batteries die. It can we wall or floor mounted and comes complete with bolts etc. It was only £14.99 so even if you have to pay 10kg excess baggage most airlines you can pre book for about £5 per kg making it another £50 so I still think at £64.99 it is a bargain. There are 4 of us going in June so Im sure we will manage between us to travel a little lighter.

Similar to this one Keyguard Electronic: Winterfield Safes - The Largest Selection Of High Security & Fireproof Safes Online
Hi Queenie, we took an electric hob weighing 10kg, kettle and other bits and bobs over, just incorperated them into our luggage, making sure we had the full allowance of hand luggage. Microwave going next time n that weighs 18kg.

Y

yorkshire boy

Yea I would have liked to have gone with it but I think 7K to furnish a 2 Bed is just far to much. I think I could do it pretty easy for about 3 and I would have paid up to 5 for the package they have done just to save the hassle but I couldnt afford 7.
you can furnish a 2 bed for alot less than 7 grand. we had a look round furniture shops whilst there and priced up stuff.
we got quotes for L shaped setee, dining table n 6 leather chairs, cofee table to match, king size steel frame bed, 2 single beds, tv cabinet. oven, electric hob, fridge/freezer, (all in silver) washing machine, 26" sharp tv (not lcd) and 3 air con units (fitted) for just over 4 grand. and its all really nice gear.
so budget on top of that for pots pans and bits n bobs to finish off and i will do it for 5 grand tops, and that includes air con.

S

simonjwatts1

re furniture

but can you get it delivered,installed and checked in the same week?? it is ok if you are over for 2 weeks min but good luck with it
you can furnish a 2 bed for alot less than 7 grand. we had a look round furniture shops whilst there and priced up stuff.
we got quotes for L shaped setee, dining table n 6 leather chairs, cofee table to match, king size steel frame bed, 2 single beds, tv cabinet. oven, electric hob, fridge/freezer, (all in silver) washing machine, 26" sharp tv (not lcd) and 3 air con units (fitted) for just over 4 grand. and its all really nice gear.
so budget on top of that for pots pans and bits n bobs to finish off and i will do it for 5 grand tops, and that includes air con.

Y

yorkshire boy

but can you get it delivered,installed and checked in the same week?? it is ok if you are over for 2 weeks min but good luck with it
i have found a guy who will organise the deliveries and make sure it all goes in the appartment, he will also put me in touch with people to fit the electricals/ lights etc.
yes it may take a week out there to sort out but i think it will be worth it.
you can easily find people out in egypt who can help, if not they know someone who can.

B

Bingers50

Hi all again, just to let know there is a Habitat opened imediatley across the road from the resort, run by Hasem.
He is real nice speaks good English and lives by his word, i bought 8 beds from him and he promised 2 day delivery which was spot on. he does some nice wicker patio furniture, which to be honest is cheapest around 4 chairs plus table around 165 pounds, and we found that his chairs being sold at 350 each were being bought by a couple of local stores and being marked up to 750 le, bit naughty so buy from Hasem.

V

vix

i have found a guy who will organise the deliveries and make sure it all goes in the appartment, he will also put me in touch with people to fit the electricals/ lights etc.
yes it may take a week out there to sort out but i think it will be worth it.
you can easily find people out in egypt who can help, if not they know someone who can.

Most of the shops will arrange next day del. if not immediate.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

vix

Hi all again, just to let know there is a Habitat opened imediatley across the road from the resort, run by Hasem.
He is real nice speaks good English and lives by his word, i bought 8 beds from him and he promised 2 day delivery which was spot on. he does some nice wicker patio furniture, which to be honest is cheapest around 4 chairs plus table around 165 pounds, and we found that his chairs being sold at 350 each were being bought by a couple of local stores and being marked up to 750 le, bit naughty so buy from Hasem.
Yes great, had asked for info re Habitat, so this is good news. Many thanx.

L

lovesquadsue

Hi Bingers!
Great info thanks a lot! We have alos bought on BR - appt 442 and are going over on 13th June to get the place furnished etc! The info on the furniture shop Habitat over the road is great! Would you mind me asking how much the beds etc were and what sort of style they were? When we were there in Feb we only managed to find 2/3 furniture shops so I'm hoping there will be more choice now when we go over in June! Also, good to hear they deliver quickly as time will be of the essence as we are only there for a week - although the 2 week option is looking more likely now.... need to book the flights but like you say its a second mortgage job at the moment!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Bingers glad your trip went well. There are a few tha are concerned about the new open air disco. Did you hear this on site??

P

PineNut

Hi bingers - glad you had a good trip. Am really pleased that there is a Habitat there...... I wonder whether Ikea will be next :)

If you've any photos of the development they would be great to see.

L

Lsab

When we lived in Riyadh there was a big Habitat store but it wasn't THE Habitat. Is this one? We did have a real Ikea though :D - wish there was one in Bahrain.

B

Bingers50

Hi all

beds i got were 1 metre by 195 long real good quality divan style matress gbp 50 and bed 60 gbp, for other furniture we bought marble topped tc cabinet and coffee table from arekka across road from seagull in sakala, down near elmina fish resturant on dahar road little side turning a shop call antre supplied our dinning tables, just at start of dahar road 50 meters from traffic light behind marble pyramid you will find options and habitat 2they supplied our sofas and have a good selection of furniture, moving down from there opposite metro is an electrical shop but we bought most our electrics ie cookers and tv,s in zabargad mall b tech they do good deals almost opposite la perla, just pat metro on opposite side is in home or in doors they have good choice but need a longer delivery time. also about another half mile down dahar road is nile furniture but normally they take 2 weeks plus.
be care full when buying cash is best as credit card they will try to pas on 2.5% charge,

The disco if im right may be next to the ten pin bowling which i only heard once when driving past, wasnt to loud and to be honest desert pearl blocks it out from all of phase 1 not sure about phase 2

B

Bingers50

on furniture dont know what style you like but we bought pine bedroom suites which were a nice size for the rooms and they were local made from small furniture family opposite abu ashrar on dahar road next to liteplan well cheap cupboard, dressing table, and bedside cabinet was 200 gbp and they loved us for the biz as they have big competition from larger stores, nice quality and friendly people i will attempt to load some pics

Status
Not open for further replies.