Furniture in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lovesquadsue

Yes all tv's arrived safely and there was no damage to anything - I just asked for Fragile stickers at the check in desk and stuck them on everything!! Got quite a bit of stuff in with shauns golf clubs in the travel bag as well - there was loads of room in it so packed it out with towels, bedding and twigs/bitsnbobs etc - there is no weight restriction on the golf clubs either (as long as they arent over the 30kg allowance per single item) so thats a good way of getting extra stuff over for just £20!
I didnt even package the tvs in their original boxes just wrapped them in duvets/bedding/towels and they were fine. Put 1 x 19" and 1 x 15" into the same big case and the larger 26" tv I bought a huge cricket bag for and just packed it out with duvets!

V

vix

Thanks to both of you for the advice, planning on taking quite a bit over next time.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Got some bargains from Kempton Market yesterday. Slimline DVD player ( as sold in Argos ) for £8 - they had recordable ones for £20, also Cookworks silver toaster and sandwich toaster for £4 each. When I went a couple of weeks ago I got some of those Solar lamps for the garden - 4 for £5.

J

John111

Furnishing the apartment.

We take possession of our 2 bed apartment in Naama Bay on 1st July 2008. We need advice on where to go for furniture and all the other things such as white goods and linen etc. Contact numbers for these will be helpful. What do we need to take from England? Any other tips and all advice appreciated as we plan to go out on the 7th July.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi we got ours from Mostafa at Idea4furniture at Nabq. See pics on this thread a couple of pages back and I have also put a vid on youtube. Mostafa was brill and the furniture pack is fab. He will do what u want. His pack includes mattress, pilloes, linen, towels, kitchen, air con, water heater, kitchen, crockery, cutlery, sofa, tv, etc etc See a few pages back. Basically turn key - his pack includes everything.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Not bought in Egypt - but Lidls have door fly screens for £3.99. Also went into Primark today and bought single mattress protectors for £3 each, £4 for double and £3 for 2 pillow protectors.

W

wayne_harris

Hi Alison, thanks for the info.

Hi Lyndsay, Does your fridge in RT have a freezer compartment?

Cheers Dawn -x-

Georgina

Georgina

Primark today and bought single mattress protectors for £3 each, £4 for double and £3 for 2 pillow protectors.
Excellent idea, especially if you are renting out. I used to rent out my apartment before I moved here permanently. Then once I was living here I still had some bookings so used to move out again and spend the money exploring Egypt. But it was the thought of strangers sweating all night in my bed that put me off :eek: At least you can wash mattress protectors easily and they are dry in the hot sun before you get back inside :)

W

wayne_harris

Excellent idea, especially if you are renting out. I used to rent out my apartment before I moved here permanently. Then once I was living here I still had some bookings so used to move out again and spend the money exploring Egypt. But it was the thought of strangers sweating all night in my bed that put me off :eek: At least you can wash mattress protectors easily and they are dry in the hot sun before you get back inside :)
Hi, I agree thats a really good idea for the mattress protectors and the thought of that puts me right off. I have written that down on the list I have just started as things to take over with us. Has anyone got any other ideas for things we should take ie: What are the sheets and towels like over there as in quality and cost?

Cheers Dawn -x-

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Georgina - thats what I thought lol. They are easy to wash and put back on. Also Matalan do some very reasonably priced Egyptian cotton bed sets.

Hi John

As said earlier I have bought the furniture pack from Idea4furniture which included mosts things.

Here are some extras that I need that are not included but I have bought to take over. Some things that I have listed are not always easy to find or are more expensive.

Mattress and pillow protectors ( he does sell these as well )
DVD player and Wii console
Tea, coffee, sugar cannisters,
Cutlery holder/drainer
Door mat
2 Extra sets of towels ( you get 2 sets with the package but you cant have too many )
Corkscrew bottle opener
Outdoor non breakable oval plates, round plates, bowls, salad bowl, jug and tumblers. ( cutlery, crockery eg plates cups, bowls and glasses along with knives in block and kettle come in the pack - so does ashtray and trash bin )
Collapsible washbin
Coasters and placemats
Wooden spoons
Cooking utensils ( slatted spoon, fish slice etc )
Pizza tray for oven and 2 oblong oven trays ( full size elec oven and 4 ring gas hob come and washing machine and tv come with pack )
Plastic containers and lids ( 10 cubic ft fridge / freezer is part of pack along with micro and kettle )
Toaster and sandwich toaster
Pot Pourri type stuff
Coat hangers
Was going to buy the bathrom sets ( the ones that go round loo and bathmat but decided against it )
Outdoor solar lights for the garden
Light set that goes on outdoor table
Ice cube trays
Grater

This should give you an idea. Mostafa will need around 60 days from order to delivery and installation. His email is [email protected]

We ordered when we were there recently - he was very helpful and we spoke about the various options ( he has lots of choice and the electricals are makes such as Sharp etc ) he drew up the contract and it will be all installed by 8th Aug. Hopefully ready for when we all go out in October.

Where in Naama have you bought?

L

lyndsay552

Hi, I agree thats a really good idea for the mattress protectors and the thought of that puts me right off. I have written that down on the list I have just started as things to take over with us. Has anyone got any other ideas for things we should take ie: What are the sheets and towels like over there as in quality and cost?

Cheers Dawn -x-
Hi Dawn

The sheets and towels are really good quality. We are bringing out our own quilt covers and buying quilts out there.

Things like oven trays can be expensive so we have packed them. Pyrex dishes and jugs are also very expensive.

Argos have small DVD players for £20.

Pictures are also expensive so if you can pack some light weight canvas ones it would be good.

Tea towels

Can't think of anything else now but i'll let you know anything else that i can think off.

Lyndsay

queenie40something

queenie40something

..forgot about tea towels bought 3 packs of 2 towelling ones from Primark as these wash well for £2 for 2 and another 1/2 dozen from Ikea ( glass ones ) 19p each!

L

lyndsay552

I have packed a hoover into my hand luggage!!!

It cost us about £100 a few years ago and is excellent.

We wouldn't have got very much selling it and it fits perfectly into my small cabin case.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Thats a good idea. I was looking at buying a new one to take over. Even better if you can get one to go in the hand luggage and not pay extra excess. Irons are quite heavy and I believe you can get them for about £7 out there.

L

lyndsay552

Irons are pretty cheap, we're not bothering to bring ours.

STill in discussion about the PS3, think i might lose this one!!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Lol - we will prob only take the Wii as it is quite small and doesnt weigh alot. We will buy things like ironing board. airer, washing line etc in resort. I bought a camping extractable line that we can put on our balcony. I also bought air fresherner that lasts 3 months.

Please dont take the plug in ones because these have been known to start house fires.

D

distant dreamer

Hope you've remembered a broom, or a dust pan and brush - its amazing where sand gets, and sometimes when the wind gets up the inside of our apartment gets covered in a layer of sand!!

J

johnwayne

Banned
hi - queenie40something - which one is the air freshener that lasts 3 months?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hope you've remembered a broom, or a dust pan and brush - its amazing where sand gets, and sometimes when the wind gets up the inside of our apartment gets covered in a layer of sand!!
As long as you dont want a certain colour and matching you can but those type of things in resort.

queenie40something

queenie40something

hi - queenie40something - which one is the air freshener that lasts 3 months?
The Neutrodol ones last 3 months as long as the temp is around 20 or below in the apartment. I have got a few to take to keep in the cleaning cupboard. Things like cleaning cloths, dusters etc can be bought in resort.
I was going to get a loo brush and holder and again decided against this ( same reason as bath mat etc ) for health reasons and harbouring germs. I will get the toilet duck loo cleaners that flush away after you have cleaned. I havent looked in Metro and 24 /7 but will also take the fridge freshners and the lemon things you hang in the dishwasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.