Furniture in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave2u

seems that theres a few new furniture suppliers on the block and its so easy to crititsize other suppliers i would say dd is ok rember they have done it not promised it

G

grays4u

i would agree that dd furniture is about ikea standard and i am happy with the quality.long trem will never last as long as solid wood but lets face it i will proberly want a change in 5 years anyway.for now its good looking functional and renters like it

G

gordies

towels & curtains

I need curtains made-to-measure and a good selection of towels. Is there anyone in Hurghada who can help with this?

L

lyndsay552

For towels, the best place is the Government at the bottom of Dahar.

For curtains you could try Abu Ashra Family market in Dahar but it would probably be better to bring them out from home.

L

Lovetheblueseas

Recommend Furniture

For furniture and furnishings in Hurghada I would thoroughly recommend
'Red Sea Furniture'.

We are just back from our new 2 bedroom apartment in Hurghada, and we are absolutely delighted with everything. Injy from Red Sea Furniture is half-English, so she knows the quality and service we expect.
They delivered everything on-time, the quality is excellent - the carpenter himself was on-site to make sure everything was ok, and re-touched up any delivery scratches etc. The coffee table was slightly wobbly and the carpenter fixed it there and then.
We couldn't afford a full 'kit-out' with our original budget and even though we would have loved the 'Arabesque' beds we were expecting plain pine beds to fit in with our budget, but when the beds arrived, Ingy informed us she found these beautiful teak and wrought iron beds in a sale.

Completely exceeded our expectations.

Ingy even advised us before we came out that it was cheaper to buy towels, sheets, duvets etc here in the UK. I bought towel bales from M&S £7.50 a bale, and sheets etc from Dunelm mills.

K

kinnaber

2 bed appt.

Looking for some broad information before i decide to use agent for furnishing or not? 2 bedrroom appartment due for completion March 09 in Hurghada and unsure what to expect regarding overall costs (average spec) for complete furnishing including air con and kitchen ? Have not been given any agent quotes yet.Help!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Kinnaber - to give you an idea I paid £3900 which was basically for everything including air cons, plasma tv, washing machine, fridge freezer, fitted kitchen, bedding, crockery, black out curtains etc etc. Basically it was turn key. This was for a 1 bed.

K

kinnaber

Thanks Queenie.Unsure of what the agent will charge but im sure it will be more than i could achieve on my own by going direct to the suppliers.Who are the best contacts in Hurghada for quotes for complete supply and fit packages?

L

lannychops

hi all, just back from my trip to sharm. i've bought on sierra and have ordered the furniture package with fashion house furniture. it is all solid wood, handmade in their factory, which they took me too. there were lots of guys in the workshop and all were very busy.
they have lots of designs to choose from, or you can make your own. their website has lots to offer and there seem to be different deals happening all the time.
they kept in touch with me all the time and we went to measure up while i was there. also before i left they told me that most of the furniture had been made (even though my apartment's not ready yet) they have told me they will sort the snag list out. when i went with them to my apartment, they were pointing out things that needed to be fixed. i am due back out in march and have their guarantee all will be ready for my arrival. i paid 50% and will pay the rest when i return. they also said if i wasn't happy with anything, they would change it (and all comes with guarantees) i looked at someone else's apartment (who had ordered it all online )which they had furnished and i was very impressed with the high standard. i kept changing my mind about stuff (typical woman) which wasn't a problem.
both mohamed and walid are great guys.
check out their website
elaine

L

Leo en Manon

give url

hi all, just back from my trip to sharm. i've bought on sierra and have ordered the furniture package with fashion house furniture. it is all solid wood, handmade in their factory, which they took me too. there were lots of guys in the workshop and all were very busy.
they have lots of designs to choose from, or you can make your own. their website has lots to offer and there seem to be different deals happening all the time.
they kept in touch with me all the time and we went to measure up while i was there. also before i left they told me that most of the furniture had been made (even though my apartment's not ready yet) they have told me they will sort the snag list out. when i went with them to my apartment, they were pointing out things that needed to be fixed. i am due back out in march and have their guarantee all will be ready for my arrival. i paid 50% and will pay the rest when i return. they also said if i wasn't happy with anything, they would change it (and all comes with guarantees) i looked at someone else's apartment (who had ordered it all online )which they had furnished and i was very impressed with the high standard. i kept changing my mind about stuff (typical woman) which wasn't a problem.
both mohamed and walid are great guys.
check out their website
elaine

Hi Elaine, do you have an URL??

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Elaine dont forget to post some pics when its all done xx

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

For furniture and furnishings in Hurghada I would thoroughly recommend
'Red Sea Furniture'.

We are just back from our new 2 bedroom apartment in Hurghada, and we are absolutely delighted with everything. Injy from Red Sea Furniture is half-English, so she knows the quality and service we expect.
They delivered everything on-time, the quality is excellent - the carpenter himself was on-site to make sure everything was ok, and re-touched up any delivery scratches etc. The coffee table was slightly wobbly and the carpenter fixed it there and then.
We couldn't afford a full 'kit-out' with our original budget and even though we would have loved the 'Arabesque' beds we were expecting plain pine beds to fit in with our budget, but when the beds arrived, Ingy informed us she found these beautiful teak and wrought iron beds in a sale.

Completely exceeded our expectations.

Ingy even advised us before we came out that it was cheaper to buy towels, sheets, duvets etc here in the UK. I bought towel bales from M&S £7.50 a bale, and sheets etc from Dunelm mills.
We also have had dealings with Injy, in fact she was the selling agent when we bought on Mubarak 7. We found her to be as honest as the day is long and prepared to go that bit further to ensure you get exactly what you want.
We thouroughly reccommend her and her company.

L

lannychops

hi Leo,

looks like Queenie beat me too it!!!
thanks Alison.

i will post pics when it is all done and dusted.
Elaine

J

John111

In response to Elaine's message re furniture, we have also ordered fitted furniture for 2 bedrooms from Fashion House which should be delivered and fitted the last week in February09. So far we have found Mohammed and Walid very good and they keep in touch and follow up all our e-mails promptly. I have seen some of their work and the quality and finish looks very good. We will let you know once we have our furniture.
Colin.

Ewa Koźmińska-Badr

Ewa Koźmińska-Badr

Hello,
one of the best places to buy TV is a little shop in Dahar called Gadalla Group, between Metro and Abu Ashara Market. They sell all kinds of plasma TV and will help you if you need something special. The speak good English as well. You can pay by credit card but they will charge extra for that :) So I prefered to walk few meters to the nearest ATM :)
We bought from them few things already and were always happy with their service. Eventhough the service guy came to make our laundry machine and 1 am, as we pushed them to fix it before holidays :)

K

kinnaber

2 Bedroom furnishing pack

In response to Elaine's message re furniture, we have also ordered fitted furniture for 2 bedrooms from Fashion House which should be delivered and fitted the last week in February09. So far we have found Mohammed and Walid very good and they keep in touch and follow up all our e-mails promptly. I have seen some of their work and the quality and finish looks very good. We will let you know once we have our furniture.
Colin.
Can anyone give me a price range for 2 bed pack?

G

gordies

electrical goods into Egypt

I want to take a couple of LCD tv's into Egypt.

Has anyone managed this or have you all been caught at customs?

thanks, Gordie

J

johnwayne

Banned
Hi - I think the smaller ones can get packed into a case. some people have wrapped them in duvets, towels etc and they have been ok.
we thought of buying the larger ones, but keeping them in their boxes as most of them have their weight listed on them and putting black plastic bags around them. On check in, they can be labelled as fragile if you ask them. hope this helps - any other thoughts from people who have taken tvs over please?

D

dave99

Customs Police here

Gordon

If you're going through Hurghada I would think you would get away with one for own use if inspected, but two might be seen as "trade".

If you look like a tourist you should not get stopped (wear that big cowboy hat). I've been stopped once and had cases opened probably because I've got lots of Egypt stamps in my passport and obviously look shifty.

I'm not sure why you would want to risk it anyway. The potential for damage and the loss of luggage allowance, no way to get warranty service etc, does not really make it worthwhile, plus if you get caught you could be "banged up" for a week.

Hurghada has a good choice of LCD TVs and prices and not too bad, but are more expensive due to exchange rate drop.
Suggest you consider taking other things not as easy to get in Hurghada which are smaller and safer - DVD players maybe, £15 from Tesco and very small.

I want to take a couple of LCD tv's into Egypt.

Has anyone managed this or have you all been caught at customs?

thanks, Gordie

Status
Not open for further replies.