banana residential club

A

andyk2

That puts you top of the Christmas Card list!!

Hi Lisa,

I will pass on your comments to Nicky when she returns from holiday next week - thanks. It is the aim to provide an up-to-date service on all the IPIN recommended developments. sometimes this is not always possible, but if they are not on the site, there are other ways of accessing them - just ring up and ask.

Kind regards,

Andy

F

ferriej

hi all

i have also reserved at banana residential and was wondering if anyone knows if they are close to selling out.

believe this is an excellant investment for the money

W

wolfgang

My advice to anyone purchasing here is that you MUST visit and draw your own conclusion.By the time you have added a furniture pack and legals,notay etc your bill will be running at 100k Euros.

Whilst the design of the villa itself is spacious,imaginative and highly appealing and Cumbuco beach is impressive,pay very careful heed to the infamous adage-LOCATION,LOCATION..etc.
What your agent will NOT tell you(even if they knew,as most have never set foot in Brazil)is that the site is very close to the favellas and slums of the City which are located North of Fortaleza.

The road quality is dreadful to dangerous and regretably this area will see no inward investment to improve the infrastructure or facilities,as quite simply,these poverty stricken locals carry no political clout whatsoever.
In marked contrast, to theSouth of the city they are building new dual carriageways,golf clubs,yacht clubs,luxury developments,up market furniture shops opening etc.
Why?Again politics.This is where the wealthy Brazilians (with influence) reside and all the grants and resources are being channelled here.
Despite what you may have been led to believe,Banana,is not a brownfield site.It is basically an existing unprofitable camping site that has been acquired in order to build upon.
I would also strongly suggest that you double check to ascertain exactly what facilities will be on site, as having viewed the masterplan in the main promoting office in Aldeota ,it bears little resemblance.
There are presently no plans to offer a rental scheme;the clue is in the name Banana RESIDENCIAL(residential).

Finally,the area does apparently have an on going crime problem.Nothing ultra heavy- just lots of robberies mainly.The Pousadas in this area and anything tourism/gringo related are regular targets.A Dutch guy informed me that he and his guests had been "turned over" three times in the last 14 months.

Banana Club is a classic and prime example as to why you should NEVER spend your life savings investing in something you have never seen.
Personally,i would not purchase here,but you really must check this out for youself.For the sake of a week off work and an air fare you owe it to yourself and family.

FWIW, i prefered Fortaleza to Natal.Five times the size,more modern,superior infrastructure,lots more to do etc-just be sure you are purchasing in the right area.Basically you need to be somewhere between Eusebio and Canoa Quebrada to maximise rental income and capital appreciation.

D

deedee1

:)Hi all,

Wolfgang- I take it youve been out there and seen for your self!

If you what you say is true then you have confirmed my theories on the project and its location as well as the reason for its low pricing!

See ya D :)

D

Dick Dawson

Hi everybody

Wolfgang, you may be right about the Lagoa Banana, but it's no surprise. The area has poor communications and a lot of fairly isolated property - ideal for the opportunist robber at night.

Don't condemn the whole Cumbuco area. The beachfront is as safe as it's possible to be in Brazil, with good communications and properties in condominiums where constant occupation makes it more difficult for the criminally-minded. Cumbuco is the best tourist resort within very easy reach of Fortaleza's interniational airport

This is Brazil. Where the very poor are forced into confrontation with the very rich (that's us foreign visitors) there will be crime. The secret is to take that on board and be sensible. No different from some inner cities in the UK, really.

W

wolfgang

Banana/Brazil

Sure.Got back late on Monday.There is just too much at stake to buy sight unseen.
I visited the two "hotspot" areas Natal and Fortaleza and literally drove from Natal to Touros along the coast until i ran out of road viewing as many developments and areas as i possibly could over a 3 week period.Then in Fortaleza i drove as far South as Canoa Quebrada and North to Jericocoara!
A few developments display excellent potential whilst others are vastly inferior Shame about the Banana location as on paper this was the best deal in N.E.Brazil.

W

wolfgang

Banana

Dick,
There is some merit in your views though i would not entirely agree with your prognosis that Cumboco is the best resort within easy travel of the airport.As the access roads to the South from Pinto Martins airport are brand new dual carriageways (as opposed to single lane potholed surfaces) it is possible to access beaches as far South as Praia Dos Fontes and even Morro Branco( which (imho) are superior to Cumbuco) in exactly the same travel time.

Neither must we accept and dismiss crime as an integral component of the decision to purchase in the Fortaleza area.We have the luxury of informed decision making and above all ,choice.Just a 30 minute drive South of the city into the more affluent suburbs and the area is charactersized by virtually zero crime.

G

garytarifa

cumbuco compared to the rest

Hello All,

With regard to the argument over where to invest, bannana club-cumbuco-taiba-morro blanco, inland or beach front ect.
WELL ITS SIMPLE.
The land and development companies that bought up the land for development years ago they are the ones that can have the high risks by buying up lakes,back waters and muddy fields ect. As far as they are concerned "crime,what crime? well they can sit and wait and install there own roads and even police if they want"!!
As far as us lesser mortals are concerned we are spending our perhaps live savings and we need security and track records so we can sleep tight at night regarding our overseas investments.
Beach front properties are always HOT investments normally located around other beach front properties also with the same visions easch with there own security awareness.
Why do people like to live in expensive neighborhoods? Perhaps because its safe?
Beach front is not just expensive because its front line.
Regarding Cumbuco- why are Vila Gale (the big golf project) investing in beach front and not in a muddy pound?
If you want something cheap and with possible local security issues go inland where theres nothing.
If you want to be sat on your terrace safe and able to walk along the beach watching the sunset, well.....come on.
So I suggest DO YOUR HOMEWORK look at the area in depth, take chit chat with a pinch of salt. "Go with your gut feeling and go ahead buy your DREAM".
"GaryTarifa" is a multi property owner in Cumbuco-Dominican Republic and Spain.
with over 20 years knowledge of overseas investments.

K

k1elec

Has anyone had any plans for the villas with the sizes for the rooms or plans drawn to scale?

Karl

I

IPIN

A considered response to Wolfgang regards Banana Club

After deliberation and research, IPIN would like to offer this considered response to the post made by Wolfgang regards Banana Residential Club.

The Site
Firstly, Banana Club has never been a camp site. It has a camping area for the kids to camp out on weekends, but nothing which has ever been intended to be an ongoing concern. Banana has taken 4 years to be approved and you can see from the Google Earth co-ordinates that previously there was nothing here (Google Earth has only been a tool available for a couple of years). The infrastructure which can be seen on the site at this time has been created exclusively for the Banana Residential Club project.

Project Plans.
On investigation, the previous post can be confirmed as correct when stating that different plans have been put on display in the local office. These are old plans which should have been replaced with the details confirmed to buying clients.

The plans as offered by the European promoters and advisors are 100% correct. We have indeed received negative feedback in relation to the inspection tour, which we are addressing with those concerned in order to encourage a far better experience for everyone visiting the site.

To this point, the developer has only had experience of visitors from its local market and at risk of sounding blasé; these locals don’t necessarily look for the ultimate tour experience! As the likes of these forums are quickly showing local developers, we westerners are a far more demanding clientele and to encourage these parties to invest, they do indeed need to raise their game on the ground. However, the product and investment should remain as the main focus.

Similar experiences can be seen in the likes of Morocco, Cape Verde, Egypt, etc. The common denominator being that they are ALL emerging markets, who are all still finding their feet in terms of service levels and organisation. Factors such as this should always be taken into consideration when looking to invest in an emerging market.

However, these points do not take away from the fact that Banana Club Residential ticks many investment boxes. An investment should not be judged on how ‘westernized’ the tour experience is, but on the vital statistics and solid facts.

Rentals
In relation to rental potential, a few points. Rental yields of 10% are justifiable provided the owners are sensible and charge domestic rents to the domestic market, as well as trying to appeal to an international market. For example, £250 per week for a three bedroom villa in Brazil sounds ludicrously cheap at first, but makes sense in the context that properties in Natal and Fortaleza will charge 3 to 4 times that amount and drive the domestic market into the less established resorts like Cumbuco. As a reminder, the price for one of these 3 bed Villas is currently under £60,000. Based on £250 per week rental returns (£1000 per month) via longer term local rentals, balance sheets should look healthy within a short space of time.

Reasonable capital growth will be obtainable in a booming area, as these are still attractive properties in a good location which will be appealing to end users/investors on completion (domestic and international). They may still have a use to the lifestyle investor as the infrastructure and general wealth of the area improves (look how the construction boom in Spain has filtered down to the Spanish community),although this may take a few years of course.

To further add strength to the debate surrounding rental potential, it is very rare that any developer has a solid rental management office finalised at the early stages of construction. Off-plan investment means just that. Plans are in place for rental management on site, although the mechanisms used to promote and facilitate are yet to be confirmed. Even in an established market, detail such as this is rarely confirmed until closer to completion.

Finally on rentals, as an IPIN recommended investment, exposure will be given for future rental promotion automatically. IPIN has signed an agreement with a global rental entity, designed to promote its members buy-to-let investment properties for maximum exposure.

Infrastructure and Ongoing Investment
The road leaving Fortaleza is a toll road and takes you directly to Cambuco, and to under a kilometer away from the gates of Banana Club. This is named Sunset Road, and can again be viewed within Google Earth. The access roads into the resort have plans in place to be upgraded to provide smooth access to the project, in line with additional investment for the immediate area including 2 golf courses (1 planned 1 nearing completion).

According to the developer, the roads leading into Cambuco are in a good condition, and even better than the likes of the main highway around Marbella, Spain to give some perspective.

Location, Favellas & Crime Levels
Our own web research is inconclusive. According to wikipedia, there are currently NO official Favella in Fortaleza. Please refer to this up to date list of Brazilian Favela’s at Wikipedia.com, and also the link to its source at the bottom of the page where you will find no mention of Fortaleza at all.

However, I found other sites such as TVE.com and their ‘hands on’ report of January 2006, which refer to The Palmeira District in the South of the city (not the North close to Cambuco as suggested in the previous post) is Fortaleza’s Favella, close to Porta das Dunas, which is actually Fortaleza’s most prestigious beach area, and where property is most highly valued. Investors should carry out there own research and draw their own conclusions, although I would recommend making a Google Earth comparison between one of Rio de Janeiro’s Favellas at Rocinha, and the Palmeira District in Fortaleza.

A sense of realism is needed in response to the point relating to poverty and existing infrastructure. Some of the best beaches in Brazil can be found to the North AND South of Fortaleza, which is why the city has been such a popular domestic and international tourist destination for years. In the interest of balance, as well as those beaches pointed out as being to the South of the city in the previous post, Cumbuco, Taiba and Munduau beaches are highly regarded as being top quality, and are all to be found to the North of the city. When all said and done, Brazil would not be considered as an emerging market if it was comparable to somewhere such as Florida or Marbella in Spain for example.

REMEMBER: BRAZIL IS STILL CONSIDERED AS A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, SO POVERTY IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS SHOULD BE EXPECTED FROM DAY ONE OF YOUR RESEARCH.

Take a look at Cape Verde as a comparable market for example. Poverty levels and lack of infrastructure here are far worse than in Brazil. Cape Verde has no resorts which even come close to being mentioned in the same breath as Fortaleza at this time, and availability of access into the islands via international flights can also not be compared. However, investors flock to Cape Verde in their hundreds due to its potential as an international tourist centre. This is the nature of emerging market property investment.

While we accept that Fortaleza as a city suffers from its fair share of crime, these statistics are reflective of any heavily populated city in Brazil and indeed South America as a whole. The previous post mentions meeting a resident who had been the victim of crime 3 times in the previous 18 months. However, does this person reflect the experiences of the whole Cambuco community? Do we know anything about this person?

Investment
Had Banana Residential Club been located closer to a beach, or nearer to a more exclusive location, prices would have to have reflected this of course. The value for money on Banana Residential Club can not be argued, nor can its potential for future growth and returns. This is a different investment to the prime but more expensive beach front resorts in Fortaleza and Natal, and if comparisons are made, of course a better picture can be created. However, from an objective investment point of view based on value for money, payment terms, plans in place for the local area and growth forecasts for this region and the whole of North Eastern Brazil, Banana Club remains as an attractive option.

An additional investment point to be taken into consideration is that there will be a developer’s mortgage package available to investors upon completion, a feature not common with the vast majority of other Brazilian investments.

As a final point as to the reputability and potential of Banana Residential Club, the first 20 lots were all sold to Lawyers, Businessmen and other locally based professionals, including the Chief Prosecutor for Fortaleza, who we would suggest are the true experts on the local area and the best locations for investment to be found here.

Summary
In summary, I would agree with the previous post that it is always a good idea to view the investment in which you are becoming involved, regardless if that project is in Fortaleza or Fulham! However, an investment opportunity should always be considered on merit based on its own unique features and investment points, and not in comparison with other projects which are not of a similar ilk and pricing structure.

We hope you find this post useful.

If you have any queries regards this response, please feel free to contact us to discuss on Freephone 0800 047 0597 or email [email protected].

Last edited:
B

beenthere

... as an IPIN recommended investment ...
Hold on, you say this is an IPIN recommended investment, but it sounds like neither you nor anyone in your company has even been to see the place!!

So who is it recommended by and why, or is it recommended just because you can get a good commission.

Sorry I forgot to mention:
According to the developer, the roads leading into Cambuco are in a good condition, and even better than the likes of the main highway around Marbella, Spain to give some perspective.
Does that mean that Cumbuca has highways leading into it that you can drive 220 km/h on reasonably safely (yes I know it is illegal)? That is how fast I was driving on the tollway the last time I went to Marbella. What planet are you on? and if the developer is so obviously lying, then why are you selling their products......

M

marsdei

Not a camping site ...

Firstly, Banana Club has never been a camp site. It has a camping area for the kids to camp out on weekends, but nothing which has ever been intended to be an ongoing concern. Banana has taken 4 years to be approved and you can see from the Google Earth co-ordinates that previously there was nothing here (Google Earth has only been a tool available for a couple of years). The infrastructure which can be seen on the site at this time has been created exclusively for the Banana Residential Club project.
Please take a look at www dot bananaresidencial dot com dot br

IPIN could you just please tell us then if your statement is correct and it was never the intention to have it as a going concern then why did they build a pond, volleyball pitch, put camping sign outside (you wouldn't know it was there unless you had been there),build the wooden marquee, laid the lawn, built the wooden bridge etc etc? Surely not facilities for new developenet?

Last edited:
A

andyk2

BT/Marsdei - Is there a point to your post?

I am at a loss to see either the value of your posts, or what point you are trying to make? The site at Cumbuco on which Banana Residencial Club is going to be built may or may not have previously been used as a camp site - at least it was´t a nuclear waste dump! The villa plots were originally put up for sale on an individual basis. They didn´t sell. IPIN was presented with a genuine investment opportunity and alerted their clients. Can you deny that finance at 8% when the base rate in Brazil is 13,20% (and unavailable elsewhere) is a bad thing? Can you deny that by advocating charging domestic rentals in an area where alternative accommodation is certain to be inflated is bad advice? Can you deny that on completion/within 2/3/5 years, these properties are likely to significantly appreciate in value? As I made in my post to "Garytarifa", it´s all about investment - not about how fast you can drive or whether it was once used as a recreational area for kids. If you feel this is a poor investment, then look elsewhere - your attempts to slag off IPIN and the motives behind it are demeaning to yourselves and does nobody else any favours.

B

beenthere

I am at a loss to see either the value of your posts, or what point you are trying to make? The site at Cumbuco on which Banana Residencial Club is going to be built may or may not have previously been used as a camp site - at least it was´t a nuclear waste dump! The villa plots were originally put up for sale on an individual basis. They didn´t sell. IPIN was presented with a genuine investment opportunity and alerted their clients. Can you deny that finance at 8% when the base rate in Brazil is 13,20% (and unavailable elsewhere) is a bad thing? Can you deny that by advocating charging domestic rentals in an area where alternative accommodation is certain to be inflated is bad advice? Can you deny that on completion/within 2/3/5 years, these properties are likely to significantly appreciate in value? As I made in my post to "Garytarifa", it´s all about investment - not about how fast you can drive or whether it was once used as a recreational area for kids. If you feel this is a poor investment, then look elsewhere - your attempts to slag off IPIN and the motives behind it are demeaning to yourselves and does nobody else any favours.
Andy2k, I think your defensive answers speaks volumes about this "IPIN recommended investment".

This is a public forum, so if you choose to promote your products here you have to be able to accept the criticism that may result.

D

deedee1

At the end of the day an investment is based primarily on location- so if you still buy in an amerging market but lack the location factor it doesnt necessarily mean you will make money from it!!!

Brazil is a huge country and many investments to be had but if the location is wrong then it is useless to all!!

What will be your strategy and who are going to be your end users with so much on the market with primary and more convenient locations and security!!

Hi ANDYK2-Hows JDLR doing??? Yet another classic example of the lack of location factor!!
You previously mentioned that the villa plots for banana were on sale before and did not sell- whys this???
Does IPIN have a habit of taking on developments that are in trouble??That are not selling well???
Do you question the reasons why this is ...?? More importantly do you clients question this...??

A

andyk2

It´s still about investment (but in the right location!)

Morning D,

Agree entirely with you about location. The Banana Club is located in an area with a strong existing domestic market. If it were beachfront, "end-users" would experience constant strong winds and currents too strong to swim in (also believe the water is very salty). Most holiday makers (apparently - cos I´ve not been there!) choose to swim in the freshwater lagoons that surround the area, and the Banana Club has two such lagoons in close proximity.

In terms of strategies - IPIN already discussed the BTL aspect and, at such a low entry point, clients wishing to flip before/on completion should have the option to do so (maybe more so than in the larger resorts currently being marketed). The development is a gated community with 24 hour security, so security inside the complex should not be an issue.

JDLR is going well. The preliminary presentations were made earlier this month and the response was very favourable (apparently - cos I wasn´t there either!). There was a newsletter sent out to all the clients who reserved on JDLR last week. I still believe that JDLR and the Banana Club are still good investments. It´s okay to question factors in product that´s presented as an investment, but you cannot deny that IPIN is innovative in some of what it´s trying to do. Look at Porto dos Corais - one of the first Brazilian products to be released on the market. IPIN picked it up, worked through all the contractural issues, overcame problems with the transfer of funds and legalities (previously clients had to fly to Brazil to do their own snagging). Now, clients that invested at the earliest stage are seeing capital growth on their investments of 40% within 9 months.

The only reason that the Banana plots did not initially sell well was down to marketing. Even the best located opportunities need a nudge to bring them into the public spotlight. Believe I mentioned before that IPIN were presented with an opportunity, saw its potential and offered it to its clients. Any client who acquired a prime located unit on release can go to PPC now and resell with a 50% gross gain - such is the limited availability.

Rather than rescuing ailing developments, IPIN are exploiting investment opportunities for the benefit of its members - "building wealth through intelligent property investment" - 40% at Porto dos Corais & 50% at The Banana Club. When outline planning is awarded at JDLR, clients should looking at gains of over 100% - that´s not a bad track record.

Any questions - the numbers etc are on the IPIN post.

Andy

D

deedee1

Andy -I appreciate some of your comments but unfortunately for mr I am struggling to see " WHO " The end users will be ???

I have also heard that the lagoons are not as fantastic as people are making out and infact are ridden with mossies, sludge and nettles!!But there are those who are trying to sell off the back of them to compensate for the lack of being beachfront OR lack of ammenities nearby!!

I am not saying that a great investment is a beachfront one at all- but like I ve mentioned before brazil is a HUGE country and I would rather be in a location that I know about and where others are located aswell than rather than one I dont know ANYTHING ABOUT??? Who knows where youll end up??

The banana is a great development I dont doubt that- but your clients have to be aware that there may be pitfulls in the long term i.e- selling on, rental incomes, transportation, market choices!!!

As for JDLR- Still dont share your enthusiasm Im afraid as this definately is the case of "WHO & WHAT ARE YOUR END USERS??? Taking into consideration the spainish markets decline and oversupply!!!

Its not a personal attack against you personally Andy so dont be offended its just my personal opinions and thoughts on the subjects- thats what the forums for -right!!!

L

LisaUK

Short Term -v- Long Term

The banana is a great development I dont doubt that- but your clients have to be aware that there may be pitfulls in the long term i.e- selling on, rental incomes, transportation, market choices!!!
I think these pitfalls relate mainly to the short-term so they could be a worry for anyone looking to make a fast buck or anyone banking on an immediate rental income. In the long term (15-20 years) my own feeling is that the areas which stretch North and South of Fortaleza will be one long urban sprawl stretching inland, with little to differentiate the localities. I think that in this time-scale the landscape will be completely different - lagoons will be cleaned up, roads will be surfaced, amenities will be developed, etc.

Personally I am in it for the long haul (10 years plus) and I am looking at it as speculation rather than investment, i.e., capital appreciation as opposed to rental income. I guess people would argue that if I purchase beach-front I can have both but I am sceptical about rental returns in NE Brazil in the short-term. I base this on the lack of tourists around in Fortaleza and Natal in April and comments made to me by locals and ex-pats. My £50k (I am not ordering the extras because I am not expecting any rental returns) still gets me a 3 bed villa as opposed to a 1 bed apartment which I am happy to sit on for the next decade, at least. My only concern is that the site remains secure for this period of time as I was warned about vandals and squatters who target empty properties.

These are just my opinions, which I base on my own circumstances – who knows, in a few years tourists could be flocking into this area all year round. I am relatively new to forums and I think the great thing about them is that you are exposed to a diverse range of views and opinions. Another great thing is that people like Wolfgang take the time and trouble to post candid on-the-spot-reports even though he is no longer personally interested in the development – thanks Wolfgang!

Andy – at the end of the day you are an agent so it's not surprising that people take what you say with a pinch of salt. Any agent would be doing their client (the vendor) a great dis-service if they pointed out the negatives on a development.

R

rossi2006

banana club

Dick,
There is some merit in your views though i would not entirely agree with your prognosis that Cumboco is the best resort within easy travel of the airport.As the access roads to the South from Pinto Martins airport are brand new dual carriageways (as opposed to single lane potholed surfaces) it is possible to access beaches as far South as Praia Dos Fontes and even Morro Branco( which (imho) are superior to Cumbuco) in exactly the same travel time.

Neither must we accept and dismiss crime as an integral component of the decision to purchase in the Fortaleza area.We have the luxury of informed decision making and above all ,choice.Just a 30 minute drive South of the city into the more affluent suburbs and the area is charactersized by virtually zero crime.
I have just returned from Cumbuco and to not agree with your post
Did you really vist as i was told that i was the only other person to visit to date from the uk. and the other was not you his name was oliver.

The Roads are fine and new leading to the development this you can see
from the fotos.

You visited Porto dos Corais i see from this Forum you prefer the situation there work stopped broken down digger and no road access is this because you sell and recive commisions from them.

L

LisaUK

Any Further Info?

I have just returned from Cumbuco
Hi Rossi

Maybe you could expand on your post regarding your impressions of the location of the site? Also, did you meet any representatives of the developer? If so, is there anything of interest that you would like to share?

Were there many domestic and / or international tourists around in Cumbuco? Did you notice much in the way of activities on the Banana lagoon?

Any info that you feel you would be able to share would be appreciated.

Thanks.