Arrivals in January 2008 - Northeast Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KDJX

Mr Broad. You are spot on !!

We have just come back from two weeks in Ponta Negra and I thought it was a fantastic holiday destination. The coast line is awesome and we totally enjoyed the trips that were on offer. Also where else can you swim in a sea that's almost hot ?. The atmosphere in Salsa Street was great with the odd prostitute adding to the entertainment. (The most touristy part of Paris is also the main red light district !!) I saw many families enjoying Salsa street although I admit they were probably long gone before the real fun started !!

There is some tat around for sure but a lot less than in Goa for example or indeed many other prime tourist locations. Some tourists may be shocked initially but after a day or so you hardly notice it.

Beach sellers were a bit of a pain but not as persistant as in some destinations.

Something that few have mentioned it the outstanding choice of good eating places available. Never on a holiday have I eaten so well...even with the poor exchange rates.

I have no doubt that NE Brazil will, in time, become a major holiday destination for both Brazilians and Europeans. I was impressed with the ongoing infrastructure improvements and with the investment levels in Ponta Negra and although the upgrading of the main road to Rio is way behind schedule it is clearly happening.

My real reservation is one of timing as clearly the existing airport is a major constraint to growth and development.Sadly I must conclude that what I thought was a good 5 year investment (Grand Natal Golf) is probably nearer ten years.....too long for me to wait I fear.

K

C

Celt

KDJX,

I second your positive comments regarding Ponta Negra! Rather than off-plan, why don't you consider buying a resale property there, which can be managed through a pool system that is up and running?

Best,

celt

We have just come back from two weeks in Ponta Negra and I thought it was a fantastic holiday destination. The coast line is awesome and we totally enjoyed the trips that were on offer. Also where else can you swim in a sea that's almost hot ?. The atmosphere in Salsa Street was great with the odd prostitute adding to the entertainment. (The most touristy part of Paris is also the main red light district !!) I saw many families enjoying Salsa street although I admit they were probably long gone before the real fun started !!

There is some tat around for sure but a lot less than in Goa for example or indeed many other prime tourist locations. Some tourists may be shocked initially but after a day or so you hardly notice it.

Beach sellers were a bit of a pain but not as persistant as in some destinations.

Something that few have mentioned it the outstanding choice of good eating places available. Never on a holiday have I eaten so well...even with the poor exchange rates.

I have no doubt that NE Brazil will, in time, become a major holiday destination for both Brazilians and Europeans. I was impressed with the ongoing infrastructure improvements and with the investment levels in Ponta Negra and although the upgrading of the main road to Rio is way behind schedule it is clearly happening.

My real reservation is one of timing as clearly the existing airport is a major constraint to growth and development.Sadly I must conclude that what I thought was a good 5 year investment (Grand Natal Golf) is probably nearer ten years.....too long for me to wait I fear.

K

D

Dotty

Banned
Oh glad you enjoyed your hoilday,apart from the GNG disaster.Nice to hear positive comments from tourists .The beaches are stunning and the buggy trips are great for 1st time around,not sure about outstanding restaurants though,but when frequented the novelty soon wears off I guess.Did you get your deposit back ?There is a company that is trying to sort it out.Marben International.Read the thread.Interesting stuff!

K

J

JMBroad

Regarding the restaurants, if you compare what you get at "Camaroes" on Roberto Freire with anything you would get in most European coutries for the same price, and consider service, ambience, food quality and quantity, it's superb.

Again, take the same comparisons and apply them to "Lampioes" in Pipa and I have the same opinion.

D

Dotty

Banned
I adore Camaroes and Sal e Brasa,but really that is it for excellent restaurants (Brasilian style) in Natal . Of course Brasil has amazing food but that does not mean here.Meat restaurants have the same variety,sertinejo.Love pizza but not here.I have searched high and low .
Regarding the restaurants, if you compare what you get at "Camaroes" on Roberto Freire with anything you would get in most European coutries for the same price, and consider service, ambience, food quality and quantity, it's superb.

Again, take the same comparisons and apply them to "Lampioes" in Pipa and I have the same opinion.

J

JMBroad

You have searched high and low for a good Pizza restaurant in Natal but not found one????

How long have you been living there?

Again it's personal frame of reference so a great pizza can be different for me than to you but I had the best pizza of my life in Natal - fresh rucola pizza.

But you probably like deep pan pizza - these were shallow pan just the way I like them :D

D

Dotty

Banned
Have you heard that the government are thinking of building an airport close to Sao Jose Mipibu?

J

JMBroad

You mean Sao José de Mipibu south of Parnamirim in Rio Grande do Norte?

No, I hadn't heard that - where did you hear it from and have you found anything to back it up yet?

FCZ

FCZ

Free riding

JMBroad , you put together quite impressive comments. You clearly know what you are talking about. Thanks also for the KDJX and Celt additional comments. Dotty thank you too for… just thanks.
It’s kind of awkward a Brazilian learn from foreigners, but I’ve been away for so long. My last visit to the NE was 10 years ago, Salvador, in which I’m not particular interested at this point. I’m not looking for a property for investment, I do have some stocks & bonds which I’ll not tap in. I’m just looking for a reasonable summer villa (preferable) for my children feel some ground under their feet. I should stop travel a bit, for their good. If it appreciate in value, it will be a welcome +. If I buy off-plan is ok, if not, it will stay closed at least 10 months a year, but that’s ok too. I’ll sell my apartment in the South, where the weather is usually windy and cold during my vacations (July or August) and buy in the North-East. This coming Summer I should have, at most, 10 days to travel around NE. We’re planning to land in Fortaleza and drive to Natal. Not particular sure if I’ll buy something this year, short stay, or just look around. Anyone have any particular suggestions in terms of beach that doesn’t stay more than 50km from the capitals? I saw some pictures of Ponta Negra, I’ll look at it. Any other neighborhood in Natal, close to the beach, that still has reasonable prices and is really nice?
Dotty…
Sorry for the free riding.
P.S.: If anyone would like to adivice any other state, it is ok, but I just don't have time to visit all this year.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
JMBroad , you put together quite impressive comments. You clearly know what you are talking about. Thanks also for the KDJX and Celt additional comments. Dotty thank you too for… just thanks.
It’s kind of awkward a Brazilian learn from foreigners, but I’ve been away for so long. My last visit to the NE was 10 years ago, Salvador, in which I’m not particular interested at this point. I’m not looking for a property for investment, I do have some stocks & bonds which I’ll not tap in. I’m just looking for a reasonable summer villa (preferable) for my children feel some ground under their feet. I should stop travel a bit, for their good. If it appreciate in value, it will be a welcome +. If I buy off-plan is ok, if not, it will stay closed at least 10 months a year, but that’s ok too. I’ll sell my apartment in the South, where the weather is usually windy and cold during my vacations (July or August) and buy in the North-East. This coming Summer I should have, at most, 10 days to travel around NE. We’re planning to land in Fortaleza and drive to Natal. Not particular sure if I’ll buy something this year, short stay, or just look around. Anyone have any particular suggestions in terms of beach that doesn’t stay more than 50km from the capitals? I saw some pictures of Ponta Negra, I’ll look at it. Any other neighborhood in Natal, close to the beach, that still has reasonable prices and is really nice?
Dotty…
P.S.: If anyone would like to adivice any other state, it is ok, but I just don't have time to visit all this year.
Hi FCZ,

Have a look at Pipa 80km south of Natal (so outside of your range of 50km, but worth a look in my opinion). There is plenty of information about it on www.pipa.com.br and a multitude of other websites.

Regards,
Rob.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks Rob,

I'll stop by; who drives 50km can drive 80km. Site is quite nice.
I appreciate that.
The place sells itself. If you want to look at any developments there let us know before you go and we will arrange some meetings with the developers for you.

K

KDJX

Dotty…
We looked at the strangely named Jacuma Golf Village 35Ks north of Natal. Strange because it is clearly banking on the Grand Natal Golf development to provide the golf !!....however it is 90% complete,we were able to see the furnished showhouse and to meet some of the other residents. Also I have never seen so many workers on a building site at one time.

Unfortunately for us all the 2 bed bungalows were sold in phase 1 and the 3 bed houses were a bit too expensive given current exchange rates. We will definately keep an eye on phase 2 though. This development is small and impressive and the Scandanavian developer enthusiastic about what he is trying to achieve. We rolled in to his office in Ponta Negra and he happily took us around the site.

K

D

Dotty

Banned
Yes,considering it does not have a golf course,but a small development that advertises something that does not exist(golf course close by....).I visited there,but found the pool area in the wrong place. and the land area to small and a little over priced in reais terms aswell.
We looked at the strangely named Jacuma Golf Village 35Ks north of Natal. Strange because it is clearly banking on the Grand Natal Golf development to provide the golf !!....however it is 90% complete,we were able to see the furnished showhouse and to meet some of the other residents. Also I have never seen so many workers on a building site at one time.

Unfortunately for us all the 2 bed bungalows were sold in phase 1 and the 3 bed houses were a bit too expensive given current exchange rates. We will definately keep an eye on phase 2 though. This development is small and impressive and the Scandanavian developer enthusiastic about what he is trying to achieve. We rolled in to his office in Ponta Negra and he happily took us around the site.

K

K

KDJX

Yes,considering it does not have a golf course,but a small development that advertises something that does not exist(golf course close by....).I visited there,but found the pool area in the wrong place. and the land area to small and a little over priced in reais terms aswell.
Dotty. Yes I agree although we didn't go in to negotiation mode !!!. I hadn't really thought about the pool but on reflection it would have been better nearer the café bar. It was also a bit small.

Still. I'll keep a close eye on phase 2.

Probably getting a bit off thread here.

k

FCZ

FCZ

Dears KDJX & Dotty,

Thanks for your comments. That is exactly what I'm looking for; though, for the listed price of 2 bedrooms, I think I can find something with 3 around Fortaleza or Natal; at least from the internet (far away...I know) and looking into several real states ads. But I need to go down there to check it out.

Once again, thanks!

D

Dotty

Banned
You get more for your money in Forteleza right now and there are much more interesting things to do and see.Pipa is ok (if a little over hyped)but that soon wears thin .Nice beaches except for the cramped small beach at the bottom of the high street which is a bit like Woolworths on a Saturday afternoon!
Dears KDJX & Dotty,

Thanks for your comments. That is exactly what I'm looking for; though, for the listed price of 2 bedrooms, I think I can find something with 3 around Fortaleza or Natal; at least from the internet (far away...I know) and looking into several real states ads. But I need to go down there to check it out.

Once again, thanks!

S

surfingbrazil

JM, you sound like a politician! Everything is fine!

A while back GW and Surfing offered their opinion that tourism was generally bad in Natal at the moment based on the number of tourists they saw over there during their stay (not sure if Surfing is based in Brazil or not but know GW isn't).

First off, the top 4 (Recife, Salvador, Natal and Fortaleza) represented 83% of all incoming passengers to the Northeast in January 2008. The average remained constant over the past 5 years and they still receive 96% of all international arrivals.

Natal saw 15% less international arrivals in January 2008 when compared to January 2007. So yes, there was a significantly lower number of international arrivals, which is probably why GW and Surfing said that they noticed less tourists around. On the other hand though, there was a 20% increase in domestic arrivals. As the number of domestic arrivals is by far superior to international arrivals, the end result was an overall increase in passenger arrivals of 13%.

First of all, I knew about the slowdown in tourism in Natal and I told that, not just because
“ I saw few fellows around”.
I have information and now you see I was right.
I was the first one to inform about the pull out of Air Comet and the mess in GS Natal Golf and to anticipate that “THE RABBIT” is against the ropes.

So, indeed, I know some things.

Then again you engage in fruitless discussions.
Think about this:

International arrivals to Natal airport are mainly for tourism. A few might come to work, to sail or in transit but the majority are coming for holidays.

Domestic arrivals, on the contrary, are mainly for all kind of purposes (work, universities, family visiting, transit…) and some of them for holidays too.
You cannot simply mix them to redress your figures. This is politician crap to try to hide that international arrival are dropping like a stone (and more to come, just wait).

The fact that domestic arrivals are increasing is not surprising: RN and its economy are growing and Brazilians have more money to spend and flights are an alternative to busses.

This is happening is Manaus as well................

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member

First of all, I knew about the slowdown in tourism in Natal and I told that, not just because
“ I saw few fellows around”.
I have information and now you see I was right.
I was the first one to inform about the pull out of Air Comet and the mess in GS Natal Golf and to anticipate that “THE RABBIT” is against the ropes.

So, indeed, I know some things.

Then again you engage in fruitless discussions.
Think about this:

International arrivals to Natal airport are mainly for tourism. A few might come to work, to sail or in transit but the majority are coming for holidays.

Domestic arrivals, on the contrary, are mainly for all kind of purposes (work, universities, family visiting, transit…) and some of them for holidays too.
You cannot simply mix them to redress your figures. This is politician crap to try to hide that international arrival are dropping like a stone (and more to come, just wait).

The fact that domestic arrivals are increasing is not surprising: RN and its economy are growing and Brazilians have more money to spend and flights are an alternative to busses.

This is happening is Manaus as well................
You seem to have neglected to mention the replacement for Air Comet, Club Vacciones are still flying to Natal so they need someone to get them there.

D

Dotty

Banned
Oh dear, there are fewer international passangers coming into Natal at least 20% sofar and we are only in April and to make matters worse we were hit with the bad news that sales were also down on buyers investing in Natal(quote from the Madrid Property fair it has been very quiet because of the weak dollar!!)
The good news is Brasilians are able to see their country and travel more for the same price as a bus(well almost!)and even travel more frequently overseas as the fares are cheap as the dollar is so weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.