Which country should I buy in?

A

Aegean

I always thought that that was on of the problems to little or too much concrete and steel. Japan is really leading the way int this venture.

The current prediction is that a major earthquake will happen in Istanbul, knock 50,000 buildings and kill thousands with a magnitude between 6.5 and 7.5....very grim message but thats what is predicted.
Some of the beautiful historic old buildings and national treasures have undergone huge work in the foundations to pertect them but the city is at risk. And the government is still at the preliminary stages if action.

Also "About 12 percent of the city's buildings are "commercial mixed," meaning the ground floor is commercial and the upper floors are residential.

"These types of buildings are especially vulnerable to collapse because they have few walls on the ground floor to resist earthquakes," sciencedaily.com
I agree they will have major issues with many of the older building and many built prior to the Izmit earthquake. However, sice then they have really tightened the regulations.

M

mickthepropertyguru

I agree they will have major issues with many of the older building and many built prior to the Izmit earthquake. However, sice then they have really tightened the regulations.
ya the real investment here will be the developments that can withstand this sort of magnitude. Because it will happen soon. But its meant to happen in the next 30 years. The pressure points seems to be 15 km south of Istanbul. Good selling point here for Developers in proving earthquake proof Developments. It is meant to be a super quake.

Last edited:
A

Aegean

ya the real investment here will be the developments that can witstand this sort of mafnitude. ecause it will happen soon. But its ment to happen in the next 30 years.
There was a earthquake in Greece the other day - Think this area of the world is on a major fault line.

But as long as the developers follow the designs worked out by the civil engineers and don't cut corners think there will be no issues.

But where in the world is safe if a super earthquake happened - Most places have issues - some with rising seas - others turning to desert.

M

mickthepropertyguru

Well there are some predictions that by the end of this century the sea may rise by a metre but it may be an exaggeration. Flood Maps will give you a basic diagram of where would be affected most. The Netherlands though will have huge issues though.

M

mickthepropertyguru

Does anyone have any opinions on the Philippines and Cambodia?

N

nancyarora2020

If anyone out there is interested in investing in Asia real estate.I would like you to give a thought to India.The Indian economy and the real estate sector in particular are high on its ride to prosperity. As India’s economic growth curve rises, real estate India has emerged as one of the most appealing investment areas for domestic as well as foreign investors. Indian real estate has huge potential demand in almost every sector, but especially commercial, residential, retail, industrial, hospitality, healthcare etc. Selling and buying Indian property is now considered as the most profitable and attractive business opportunity in the present real estate scenario in India.Indian real estate is heating up big time no doubt. It is estimated that Indian real estate is presently growing at 30 % per annum and the property industry boasts of a wide range of products that includes property prices which would suit even the people of the low-income group. Indian real estate industry is expected to grow beyond $100 billion in the near future.Moreover,in the league of the most preferred property market among foreign investors globally India is ranked amongst the first three.The result is quite vivid now; we can see big foreign players investing in Real Estate India. Major cities in India such as Delhi, Gurgaon, Pune, Bangalore, and Mumbai have seen tremendous growth in the real estate sector. Spanking malls, commercial establishments, residential apartments and improved infrastructure speak the success and accomplishments of Realty sector in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
tylerbabe

tylerbabe

I think you should buy in Turkey as the best investment. I am selling a property.

R

rowlandsbb

When the credit crunch is really just starting to bite, then the best place to buy is in established markets, that clearly includes UK but also Spain and other established EU countries
At times of problems it is best to avoid the so called ' emerging markets'
Anyone buying has to be selective with location and developer
The good thing about Spain is that it is easy to get to from UK amd most other EU economic developed countries so there is always a demand in the medium to long term from those seeking a Life Style purchase in the sun

I

Investy

When the credit crunch is really just starting to bite, then the best place to buy is in established markets, that clearly includes UK but also Spain and other established EU countries

Yes, but only if the developer will take a deep 30 - 40% discount to reflect the new times and to get the yield to where it should be.

Paying top money for a muppet Polaris World property with a 2% yield is about as bad an investment as one could make.

O

ovidiu

Romania is the place

I have just sold a property in New Zealand and am looking for a new home for my money.

I am pessimistic about property prices in US, UK, Australia and New Zealand.

I wonder how much further Eastern Europe will rise or whether it is peaking.

My gut feeling is that Asia is the best place for risk/reward at present.

Which country do you think I should invest in and why?
hey,

I made a lot of money investing in Romania near Bucharest and black sea coast.
there is companies there that purchasethe land and then sell it for you given you the profit, and after if you whant they reinvest your money.
I made a lot of money doing that **** over the last 3 years.
But you have to be carefull and is best somebody to recomand you a company to work.
take care

tylerbabe

tylerbabe

Well I say Turkey as we live here.Beautiful country and great for investment but when I quote this people seem to have a go at me. The complex I live on rent their apartments from may to november for £350 a week good income :)

R

Rammah

Well I say Turkey as we live here.Beautiful country and great for investment but when I quote this people seem to have a go at me. The complex I live on rent their apartments from may to november for £350 a week good income :)
350 a week for what type of apartments [1 bed? 2 bed? 3 beds?]?
What's the selling price of those units?
What's the rent rate between december and april?

Where in turkey is this?

Rammah

tylerbabe

tylerbabe

There are 2 & 3 beds in total 34 apartments. Some are rent out in the winter but not as much rent. We are Hisaronu,Ovacik have you heard of the famous Blue Lagoon Ouldeniz clear blue waters. The mountain Babadag were all the paraglidgers jump of we watch this from our back balcony.:rolleyes:

I

intercepta

I've just come across this forum and am impressed by the activity. Looking at the original request however, I am amazed at the amount of 'advice' that has been offered with so little being known about the originator. What is your attitude to risk? How much are you looking to invest? How long for? Do you want personal useage? Are you looking for a rental yield? Without these basics being answered the comments offered are interesting but of little value.

gsinker

gsinker

Panama is worth looking at

Panama is still a growing market with 25% appreciation in the last 2 years. Rental yields remain strong around 12%

Strong economy, Stable government, and the currency is tied to the US dollar at 1 - 1 so your money goes much further.

PM me for details on our Caribbean Beach Front Resort called Bala Beach.

Great low pre construction prices:)

R

romanianoffer

I would say, look at Romania, it has tremendous potential. I have been on this market for some time now and can explain the reasons why it makes a perfect investment.

N

neustria

Does anybody here have any information and or experience on real estate investment in Serbia or Bosnia? There is almost no information available, certainly because most everybody still considers these no go regions after the recent ethnic violence. I would be interested in hearing from anybody with information on these countries.

Neustria

I

Investy

Neustria

Serbia featured on Channel 4s a Place In The Sun recently. They described the capital as having lots of culture, but as you say the risk is generally considered high.

I used to try and find locations like this, but have come to the realisation there is little point taking excessive risk when there are much less risky opportunities that still have lots of potential upside. Among my overseas investments I consider the mega Government backed Plan Azure developments on the Med Moroccan coast to be the best. Saidia is the spearhead of the Govt Plan Azure scheme. Forget any previous conceptions you have on Morocco, these developments really are a must for the thinking investor.

N

neustria

Reply to Intercepta (above)
Forums generally do not provide tailor made advice, but rather enable people with different experiences to share the information that they have gathered with others. When something sounds like it could correspond to what one is looking for, then the first step would certainly be to make a trip to the region that the person are interested in, and then make an investment decision taking into account all of of the parameters of his specific profile.

To Investy (just above)
Thank you for your reply and the news that Channel Four had actually done a feature on the region.
I think that for most of us a region has to "feel right" to begin with and, as for me, I don't think that I would feel like taking on a place like Morocco (I can see you raising your eyes upward and thinking 'yes, but then he considers war-torn Serbia/Bosnia??')
I visited Morocco quite a few years ago and found it a very interesting place and the people generally friendly.
When I accept a high level of risk I generally moderate my investment appetite so that, if all goes wrong, at least I am not out of a retirement...

Neustria

Last edited:
I

iom_keith

My thoughts for what they are worth...

Four years ago I was in a position to invest. I gave consideration to Cape Verdi but felt I would have to flip the property as it would soon be saturated and I believed that air travel would eventually become very expensive (and I still do). At that point, who will go to Cape Verdi? If I had bought there, I would have been out again by now.

I would have loved to invest in Vietnam and if I had enough spare cash, I still would. Difficult for foriegn investors but possible and getting easier. Stable, all be it, non-elected government. No religious violence now or likely. Beautiful, friendly, developing fast, it will soon be a tourist destination of choice IMO. One more bomb in Bali and the Australians will be flooding there. I chose against it because of the difficulties, especially from the UK, due to distances to get there regularly enough to keep an eye on the place. If you've not visited Vietnam, it's well worth it.

I actually bought in Cabarete, Dominican Republic. I've seen that Dom Rep has been mentioned in this thread already. Cabarete itself is a boom town and I'm delighted with my purchase as I am looking for a seven to ten year minimum ownership (I'm too lazy to keep selling & buying!) Dom Rep tourism was begining to boom about five years ago and more tourists were going outside of the All Inclusives. The USA had discovered the charmes right on their doorstep and while Canadians & Europeans are still the majority visitors, those tourists from the US will probably pass the Europeans this year. This ties in nicely with my rising fuel concern. In a couple of years time, I might not be visiting Cabarete from Europe but even more Americans will be (I hope!) Cabarete itself is still booming, with lots of building still going on (and selling). I think there is still worthwhile investment to be had there but the big profit would have been a few years ago. Sosua is a town that is much cheaper than Cabarete still. It's the next town along the coast from Cabarete and has a lot of prostitutes and a reputation for attracting "that type" of tourist, which is why I dismissed it when I chose to buy in Dom Rep. That said, I think that if the town gets its act together (and there are signs that it might) it has the potential to move upmarket, in part because Cabarete will be full. The East coast is a different market all together.

I have a property in the UK which I kept being tempted to sell, and then buy in Sosua, especially as the property prices in the UK were obviously going to dip, but I have a good, long term tenant in the property and I decided against putting all (both!) my eggs in one basket. If I had decided to sell, Sosua would have probably been where I would have purchased.

That's my opinion... worth the paper its written on! :rolleyes: