When is a square metre not a square metre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave99

Honest contracts / fair treatment essential

I put in my contract that if size differes for more than 3% of the one stated in contract developer needs to return money or I need to pay additional sum. Developers return full price per m2, I pay only 80% of original price per m2.
I can see some value in a variance clause for unit size, however you have to be more realistic than 3%. If you are not carefull you'll start arguing about whether built in furniture counts or not, or the the space for ever intruding column, or thickness of the interior walls, etc.

It is important that you accept the total package, and put a realistic value on what you beleive has been lost.

Major changes though (lost balcony) must merit a contract change / price deduction.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
You need to look at the small print; it is quite normal in Egypt for the stated unit size to include 15% for public areas and balconys. You should check with the Developer what is the policy in your Development. Your agent should also know this. However, this is no excuse for not having a balcony that you were told you would get. Was it shown on the plans? If so, and it is not there you should definately be seeking compensation.

M

mtrtnik

Also developer added to cotnract that 20% of size are public areas. What percentage did others get?

M

mtrtnik

I can see some value in a variance clause for unit size, however you have to be more realistic than 3%. If you are not carefull you'll start arguing about whether built in furniture counts or not, or the the space for ever intruding column, or thickness of the interior walls, etc.

It is important that you accept the total package, and put a realistic value on what you beleive has been lost.

Major changes though (lost balcony) must merit a contract change / price deduction.
I agree, next time I should put at least 5% maybe even more. That article was taken from one other contract when I purchased apartment in Montenegro and maybe there are more accurate when it comes to this :)

L

lizzy2u

i have enclosed a 1 bedroom plan thats used in many 1 beds on elraids developments the contract says
"the flat consists of one bedroom reception,open type kitchen and bathroom and has a surface area of 73 m2 "
i have enclosed the plan and its net down to 65m2 is that normal ? . but i can only get it to about 51m2 as you can see the plan does not show that it includes the balcony and the contract does not mention this but i would apreciate your comments on this and check my figures

Attachments

G

grays4u

i think this will need looking at as the apartments complete and the comments of our forum members would help to clarify this

D

dave99

Great idea to show a sample - my calcs are

i have enclosed a 1 bedroom plan thats used in many 1 beds on elraids developments the contract says
"the flat consists of one bedroom reception,open type kitchen and bathroom and has a surface area of 73 m2 "
i have enclosed the plan and its net down to 65m2 is that normal ? . but i can only get it to about 51m2 as you can see the plan does not show that it includes the balcony and the contract does not mention this but i would apreciate your comments on this and check my figures
I calculate this to be about 50 sqm of usable internal space, with about a further 6 sqm of usable balcony. If you then add on the "common space" using a 20% gross uplift you get around 66sqm, hence the 65.5 on the plan.

No way is this ever going to be 73 sqm - bit of a mis-representation I think.

D

dave99

From my web-site home page

Also developer added to cotnract that 20% of size are public areas. What percentage did others get?
The text below is on the front page of my web-site for all to see.

"Floor space includes around 15% of common area:
this includes:
- corridors, lift, stairs, entrance hall, vents, garden etc
- this is the accepted way to quote floor space in Egypt
- this will allow you to compare with other developments"

My detailed information sheets quote both gross and "usable" space
- eg:
"3 Bedrooms:- Unit (D) 3 balconies, 1 bathroom, plus 1 en-suite shower room
On the Upper level plan: - about 116 sqm (including 15% common space),about 100 sqm usable"

The contract for this apartment quotes:

"which consists of a living area, two bathrooms, a kitchen area and three bedrooms with a total surface area of approximately 100 square meters"

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
OHH God Not all developers eat your space in such massive way you see now you can realize sometimes why the price is too good to be true

J

Johh C

I started this thread a couple of months ago. It really does concern me how much potential misrepresentation there could be. A lot of people will not find out what the true dimensions are until they get the keys. Ime sure not all developers take it to extremes , but some obviously do. can be gross mis representation , the honest developer can lose out on his sale to the developer whose prepared to bend the truth.the buyer gets a much smaller product than envisaged.... probably wouldnt get away with it in Britain.

I think there should be a degree of self regulation on the part of developers to ensure a fair playing field for all...... dont suppose it will happen though!!!:(

L

Leila

I've certainly seen 2 flats in DP1 both quoted as being 73sq.m but one was quite a bit bigger. The smaller flat was next to the lift shaft and my 'theory' is that this is part of the communal space for this flat! Both nice though, the main difference was the size of the bedroom.

A

Aegean

I have read this thread with interest and have the following comments:

1. The buyer should ensure they know the closed area, the usable area, and overall area of a property.

2. That these are in the contract and that a floor plan is attached to it and signed off.

3. Can't accept it is acceptable for contracted areas can go down by as much as 5%. How is that if you have qualified engineers overseeing the construction. How often do they give you more area?

Status
Not open for further replies.