The January 2010 Storm

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

We have been in touch with our insurance company and they have asked if there is any press coverage of this event.

As yet we don't know if there is much damage but need to be prepared.

Can someone e-mail anything to us so we can complete our claim.

Cheers

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

Cheers, it works fine.
Would be better if it mentioned Hurghada though.

(never satisfied) ;0)

J

johnwayne

Banned
good luck. what about georgina's photos, would they help? how much damage have you had?

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

good luck. what about georgina's photos, would they help? how much damage have you had?
They are ok but the insurance need newspaper dates and weather station reports (you know what they're like)
As for damage, not sure yet as awaiting a report from a friend of ours. I'll be surprised if there isn't any damage. The problem is that we have guests staying there at the moment and I can't contact them.

Georgina

Georgina

CAIRO/EL-TOR: Four people died, 13 were injured and dozens went missing as a result of flooding caused by heavy rain in Central Sinai Sunday night and Monday.

The area of Wadi El-Amr, near Al-Oja Crossing, was the hardest hit, and entire villages in the area have been evacuated.

Electricity has been cut in the most affected areas and some houses have been destroyed by the flooding, while others have been immersed in high levels of water.

Other reports indicated that the Ras Sidr area on the west coast of the peninsula saw the heaviest flooding on Sunday night, and according to news agency Agence France-Presse, rescue services used rubber rafts to search for the injured and those trapped in their homes.

The four confirmed deaths were all from the Bedouin Tarabin tribe, North Sinai Tagammu party member Khalil Jabr Sawarkeh told Daily News Egypt. Army rescue services have been placed on high alert throughout Sinai.

Government offices and other buildings in Al-Arish, 40 km from the Gaza border, have been evacuated as the floods descended on the outskirts of the city.

The Sinai governor’s office, which was due to host meetings with prominent Bedouin leaders Monday, announced that it had set up an operations room to combat the effects of the flood.

Flooding blocked main roads in the resort town of Sharm El-Sheikh and heavy rain brought down the ceiling in a part of the airport, an AFP correspondent said.

Parts of Sinai including Taba, Nuweiba and Sharm El-Sheikh experienced power cuts as thousands of tourists in the popular diving resorts spent the night by candle light, in the worst flooding to hit Sinai since January 1994.

Five ports were closed due to bad weather on Monday including Sharm El-Sheikh and Sokhna ports on the mainland.

Sinai is susceptible to torrential rainfall at this time of year, and due to poor or absent drainage, streets are often flooded with water.

Additionally, being a mountainous region, with sharp inclines and declines on the road, the un-drained water travels over large distances.

“There is a sense of dissatisfaction amongst Sinai residents that authorities once again are failing to deal with the flooding appropriately,” Sawarkeh said. –Additional reporting by AFP

Source: http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/art...rticleID=27197

El Gouna Property

El Gouna Property

Banned
CAIRO/EL-TOR: Four people died, 13 were injured and dozens went missing as a result of flooding caused by heavy rain in Central Sinai Sunday night and Monday.

The area of Wadi El-Amr, near Al-Oja Crossing, was the hardest hit, and entire villages in the area have been evacuated.

Electricity has been cut in the most affected areas and some houses have been destroyed by the flooding, while others have been immersed in high levels of water.

Other reports indicated that the Ras Sidr area on the west coast of the peninsula saw the heaviest flooding on Sunday night, and according to news agency Agence France-Presse, rescue services used rubber rafts to search for the injured and those trapped in their homes.

The four confirmed deaths were all from the Bedouin Tarabin tribe, North Sinai Tagammu party member Khalil Jabr Sawarkeh told Daily News Egypt. Army rescue services have been placed on high alert throughout Sinai.

Government offices and other buildings in Al-Arish, 40 km from the Gaza border, have been evacuated as the floods descended on the outskirts of the city.

The Sinai governor’s office, which was due to host meetings with prominent Bedouin leaders Monday, announced that it had set up an operations room to combat the effects of the flood.

Flooding blocked main roads in the resort town of Sharm El-Sheikh and heavy rain brought down the ceiling in a part of the airport, an AFP correspondent said.

Parts of Sinai including Taba, Nuweiba and Sharm El-Sheikh experienced power cuts as thousands of tourists in the popular diving resorts spent the night by candle light, in the worst flooding to hit Sinai since January 1994.

Five ports were closed due to bad weather on Monday including Sharm El-Sheikh and Sokhna ports on the mainland.

Sinai is susceptible to torrential rainfall at this time of year, and due to poor or absent drainage, streets are often flooded with water.

Additionally, being a mountainous region, with sharp inclines and declines on the road, the un-drained water travels over large distances.

“There is a sense of dissatisfaction amongst Sinai residents that authorities once again are failing to deal with the flooding appropriately,” Sawarkeh said. –Additional reporting by AFP

Source: http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/art...rticleID=27197
Any Pictures from Hurghada??????????? start to worry about my apartment as we are in cairo at the moment and don't know if safe for my husband to drive to Hurghada??????????????????? :(

W

wellheld

Any Pictures from Hurghada??????????? start to worry about my apartment as we are in cairo at the moment and don't know if safe for my husband to drive to Hurghada??????????????????? :(
I have pics but don't know how to upload them, they're on my hard drive, phone and facebook. Most of the flood water has gone now, just the odd damp patch, the authorities arranged water tankers to pump out the water from the main street, well Sheraton Rd at least.
It wasn't so bad for most people, I sure your tenants would just have mopped up and laughed at the experience, it's a rare occurance here, and having tiled floors means of course less damage than to wood or carpet. A few roof/ceilings sagged/collapsed that I know of. Oh and the loss of electricity..... well with external wiring what do you expect. Where I live is fine, no water came in and the power was only off for a short time.
Helen

Georgina

Georgina

Saw this on You Tube!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxxnTDL-Two&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‫???? ????? ?? ??????.?? ????????????‬‎[/ame]

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

It seems the internet service in Hurghada is still "interupted"

S

Steveand Christine

Heavy rain shower forecast for Wednesday according to BBC weather web site.

Georgina

Georgina

No rain according to Wind Guru and Accu Weather. Let's hope the BBC is wrong!

S

Steveand Christine

BBC website now says sunny for Wednesday in Hurghada

W

wellheld

And I heard it's snowing/hailstoning in Cairo. What is going on???????

D

dee24456

Yes! The Egyptian TV news showed pictures of what seems to be hailstones in Cairo yesterday. We heard reports of rain throughout Sinai, apparently Dahab had heavy rain and in Sharm we had a short heavy shower in the afternoon . And, looking at my car this morning, it seems there was also some rain overnight. Not heard of any damage though , thank goodness!