ad

People's experiences of Property Joint ventures (JVs)?

• Thread starter Nicholas Wallwork
  • Start date
Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm keen to hear anyone that's had some experience of doing property JVs with other parties. Financial JV partners, business partners or sourcing partners e.t.c.

Has anyone done a JV with a builder?
Has anyone done a JV with an Investor?

I have done multiple JV's as a property developer and experienced investor myself where I have required funds to acquire and develop sites. This has worked extremely well for both parties and has always been a win/win experience...

Keen to hear about any good or bad experiences you or someone you know has had!

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
While not my personal experience, I have seen friends and colleagues working with “friends and family” in joint venture property deals. How is it that we are all warned about working with friends and family yet many people still do it? Personally, I think it is best to keep your business life away from your personal life and “never the twain shall meet”.

F

FWL

Personally, I think that significant property development is not a one person role. There are many things to take into consideration such as finance, building contractors, estate agents and many more. Bringing together two or more people who each have different skills can prove to be extremely beneficial in the long term. Finding these people, that is a whole different ballgame!

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I have never done an overseas deal yet but I would guess it would be useful to have a joint venture partner in the country where the property is located. How you would find a trustworthy partner - any ideas?

D

diyhelp

This is a road I have looked down a number of times but failed to take the plunge yet. My main issue is trust, the only person I really trust is me. Plus, if I make a mistake I pay the price but in a JV if the other person makes a mistake the all parties suffer. Not quite ready to move in this direction just yet.

NewOrleansHomeBuyer

NewOrleansHomeBuyer

New Orleans Property Investor
I have done JVs on wholesale transactions. This is pretty straight forward and just allows a different wholesales bring a cash buyer and get compensated even though they didn't get the property under contract. I have done these both ways and found them useful.

R

ricky199014

I haven't worked in a joint venture yet, but I'm definitely thinking to work with a partner. In my knowledge (according to what I have researched and get to know from others) Joint venture is a great way for a successful investment, As two minds with different thoughts and skills would be able to brainstorm and get out the best strategies as compared to an individual.
So, I'll definitely share my experience after working in a joint venture. But first I'll have to find a trustworthy partner. Any thoughts or tips on choosing a partner? Please share.

K

KeithR

Like most people who have spent a lifetime in Construction I have a lot of experience in construction materials, methods and project management. Also like most people who have spent a lifetime in Construction I don't have endless funding.

Our BTLs are returning excellent income and profits and I find it frustrating we can't do more deals, so I have been looking into JV deals with investors with no success so far.

Knowing how to structure deals is the first issue and as mentioned above trust is the next.

I am here to learn, so any pointers?

Nick-C

Nick-C

Trust is a hurdle for us all I think, have to get out there and start kissing frogs. If only there was a platform that could facilitate matchmaking JV's.

kissingfrogs.com anyone?

That aside, I found an informative article on yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au "how-to-find-the-right-joint-venture-partner" (sorry not allowed to post the link for some reason a good place to start:

I also made an enquiry about potential partners in this post: looking-for-small-joint-venture-opportunities.40336/ (again cant post link)