Lawyers, Bank Accounts, Making A Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SuziQ2708

Hi Steve,

If you go to the HSBC site, then international choose Egypt. There is a map showing all the HSBC banks in Hurghada, there are quite a few! You will need to provide an address in Egypt if you are opening the account at a branch in Hurghada, maybe you can use one of your apartment addresses??? Alternatively, you can complete the online application form, print it off and take it to your local HSBC business centre in the UK, then you can use your UK address. Either way, you will need to show your passport and some other form of identification. You also have to credit the account with $200 USD in order to open it, I did query this if opening in the UK and the customer service advisor believes you can use £100 GBP.

HSBC Egypt - International Services

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mgsteveb

Banned
Thanks Suzi

On the address part of the bank account. Is it like in England? Will a card and paperwork be sent to the address if I use one of the appartments? Problem is the apparmments are a new build and I wont be using them just a hotel or appartment in Hurghada.

S

SuziQ2708

Thanks Suzi

On the address part of the bank account. Is it like in England? Will a card and paperwork be sent to the address if I use one of the appartments? Problem is the apparmments are a new build and I wont be using them just a hotel or appartment in Hurghada.
Yes it is the same, but apparently you can request that no post is sent out and arrange for you to collect it directly from the bank :)

M

mgsteveb

Banned
Thats brill as there must be lots of business people with no perm address! I'll have a go on the website and let you know how I get on. I'm so so thankfull I stumbled accross this website!

S

SuziQ2708

Thats brill as there must be lots of business people with no perm address! I'll have a go on the website and let you know how I get on. I'm so so thankfull I stumbled accross this website!
Your welcome Steve, let me know how you get on, haven't opened our account yet :)

L

Lsab

e

Keep us posted Steve. Lots of us are keen to know how it all works out.

M

MILKO

Wills .

Just a thought .....has anybody made a will incase of the worst case, it could be a problem if anything happened.....sorry for being depressing but you never know.
Ian and Julia Shaw b204

L

Lsab

Coincidentally, we were discussing the same thing today! When I think of where best to put it, I'll move this post to a thread where more members will see it. (If that's OK with you?).

M

MILKO

Coincidentally, we were discussing the same thing today! When I think of where best to put it, I'll move this post to a thread where more members will see it. (If that's OK with you?).
Yes, thats fine its another thing on the long list to do but needs to be addressed.
Ian

S

Sarah C

if you have a will the apartment will automatically go to your spouse. If you both die it will go to your children or next of kin, unless you specifically nominate a beneficary.

Sarahx

M

MILKO

Will's advice

if you have a will the apartment will automatically go to your spouse. If you both die it will go to your children or next of kin, unless you specifically nominate a beneficary.

Sarahx
Hi Sarah, we were advised by our Notary that it was best to have a will drawn up in the country were your property was to comply with their regulations and so there is no confusion.
ian

M

mgsteveb

Banned
Hi.

I can't seem to find an online application form or a map showing the banks in Hurghada!

Thanks

Steve

V

vix

Hi Sarah, we were advised by our Notary that it was best to have a will drawn up in the country were your property was to comply with their regulations and so there is no confusion.
ian
Hi Milko,
Your notary is right. You actually need a will in each country, first your country of residence, secondly, in each and every country that you have assets, leaving a will appertaining to those assets. UK law has no authority over property held in other countries, unless you become bankrupt and then they can apply to the high courts in the relevant country.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Opening an account online with HSBC

Hi.

I can't seem to find an online application form or a map showing the banks in Hurghada!

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve if you click on the link which SuziQ sent you you will see on the right hand side of the opening page 'Contact Us'. Under this heading you click on 'Branch Locator'. This will list all of the branches in Egypt.

At the bottom of the opening page of the website there is a link inviting you to 'Apply Online'. You click on this and enter your personal details and you will be sent a form to open your account.

Georgina

Georgina

I opened two bank accounts about five years ago. One with HSBC and one with National Bank of Oman. One problem was picking up the cash point card. It was always ready when I had left Egypt and I think you had a time limit to pick it up. Maybe things have changed now.

Opening an account in LE gives a much higher interest rate than in Euros or dollars.

D

diward57

Wills

Sarahx
Hi, Yes more paperwork and legal stuff.!! as my partner and I are`nt married we realise how important a will in Egypt is.(or any other country) Mohamed told us that In Egypt they don`t `recognise` an unmarried partnership so without a will if anything happened to either of us, next of kin would inherit and not your respective partner. (sure my sisters would be happy!!) He quoted us £500 and I nearly fell off the chair!! We told him to proceed(have`nt heard a thing since).
My will in the UK was by comparison £70.

S

simonjwatts1

surely if you are both on the contract then it will go to your spouse/partner. If not looks like we best write a new will asap

D

diward57

asap!!

surely if you are both on the contract then it will go to your spouse/partner. If not looks like we best write a new will asap
Thats what we thought too!...we are both on the contract and thats why I questioned it. If you are not married and one of you dies their half goes to their next of kin then in order to sell the property you would have to gain permission from the `new` (half owner). I hope this clarifies this...its important you draw up a will in Egypt. OR buy a `new suit` ha. Do please check this out for your own peace of mind.. there may be other important stuff I`m not aware of.

S

simonjwatts1

re new suit

yes i will have a word in the week many thanks
Thats what we thought too!...we are both on the contract and thats why I questioned it. If you are not married and one of you dies their half goes to their next of kin then in order to sell the property you would have to gain permission from the `new` (half owner). I hope this clarifies this...its important you draw up a will in Egypt. OR buy a `new suit` ha. Do please check this out for your own peace of mind.. there may be other important stuff I`m not aware of.

V

vix

This is something you really need to sort asap. In some Arab countries, ie Jordan and Saudi, a female can not inherit directly, so there is nothing automatic about anything. I have no idea if this applies in Egypt, but certainly a wills are essential in both countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.