Egyptian Adventure

queenie40something

queenie40something

Save space - there is a pork butchers - Marsdens on Delta Sharm where you can get all pork products.

J

Jeff-h

Re: Queenie & Kerry.

Thanks for that info Queenie, we like our bacon butties, usually first thing when we get back here is a fry up.

Kerry, quoted from XL's website,

Diving equipment-Passengers taking diving equipment on all XL Airways flights are allowed 10 kilos excess baggage free of charge in addition to their normal 15 kilos luggage allowance, providing a valid diving licence/certificate is shown at the check-in desk. Please be advised that all excess baggage is subject to space and availability on the day of departure. If tanks are carried please ensure that these are emptied and the cylinder valve is loose. Large groups of divers must inform the Pre-flight department at least one week prior to departure.

The web address for the whole document is :- XL Airways Baggage

If you type this into your browser then make sure you enter the correct capitalization or you probably wont get the page. We printed the whole page and took it with us as well as our Padi cards. Will check documentation for other flights as soon as I can find them.

Jeff.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Jeff - know what you mean. We mormally have a big good old English fry up at the airport before we go then the 1st day back we have to have a full English complete with black pud, finest sausages and lovely smoked bacon. We have tried some of the ham and bacon at Papas - sure Marsdens must supply them. Cant quite force myself to have the chicken sausages yet!!

S

Sveta and Sergio

this is very helpful informotion to me and sergio. thank you

N

not_terry

Sorry - Monarch Not XL

Hi Jeff
Sorry, I should have said, I am booked with Monarch, any info on Free Dive allowance with PADI card for them. Sorry to be a pain and thanks for your assistance.

By the way XL airways? is that just for us folks who like bacon butties, is there an XXL airways :)

N

not_terry

Hi Jeff
I found this link Kite Life » Fly Monarch Airways that states:-

'Note: On certain Monarch Charter Flights (MON flight number prefix) to Egypt and the Maldives only, a free dive equipment allowance may be applicable. This is upon production of a valid Dive Licence/Certificate (PADI or BSAC),passengers carrying dive equipment such as scuba tanks, weight belts and buoyancy control jackets are to be allowed an additional 5kgs baggage allowance free of charge. Any passengers who cannot produce a valid dive certificate or those in excess of this additional allowance are to be charged for any excess baggage carried at the standard per sector rates, as set out above. scuba/dive equipment

Upon production of a valid Dive Licence/Certificate (PADI or BSAC) passengers carrying dive equipment such as scuba tanks, weight belts and buoyancy control jackets are to be allowed an additional 5kgs baggage allowance free of charge. Any passengers who cannot produce a valid dive certificate or those in excess of this additional allowance are to be charged for any excess baggage carried at the standard rates, as set out above.'

But this is not actually Monarch site. Their site is vague and it seems the only safe way is the £15 for 13 kilos

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Kerry

Found this which is same as above on Monarch site - click on travel info then travel info FAQs tab, then click baggage scrowl down to want to take sport ewuipment then click on yellow box ' click here for MON / Charter info

** On certain Monarch Charter Flights (MON flight number prefix) to Egypt and the Maldives only, a free dive equipment allowance may be applicable. This is upon production of a valid Dive Licence/Certificate (PADI or BSAC),passengers carrying dive equipment such as scuba tanks, weight belts, respirators, and buoyancy control jackets are to be allowed an additional 5kgs baggage allowance free of charge. Any passengers who cannot produce a valid dive certificate should pay for dive equipment at the standard per sector rates, as set out above. The free dive equipment allowance may not be combined with the per sector charge. Any equipment carried over and above the per sector weight of 13kgs per passenger/per dive bag will be charged for at our standard published per kg excess rates. If tanks are carried please ensure that these are emptied and the cylinder valve is loose.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Kerry - I have just read that you dont need a driving licence to ride a scooter in Egypt - that will make life easier for you.

J

Jeff-h

Kerry re :- luggage allowance, Monarch

Sorry for delay getting back to you, couple of minor problems here but now sorted. Regards Monarch allowance we will rummage through our paperwork tonight and see if we can find the doc' we took when we flew with Monarch, of course they may have changed their policy by now but we will be in touch.

Jeff.

N

not_terry

Hi Kerry

Found this which is same as above on Monarch site ....

Sorry, only just saw this post, that is superb thanks so much. But I cant believe 5Kg, that really is nothing !!! and if you pay for another 13kg - you cant have the free 5! Tight Wads!

But you have to take what you can get... Its either that or £10 per kilo

If anybody wants it the number is 01582 400000 and you can book extra leg room on same number

tnx

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Kerry - 6 days and counting!!! Are you crossing off the days on your calendar?? How many times have you packed and unpacked LOL.
Maybe people can have a think of things that you cant get in Sharm or are expensive that you can take with you.

N

not_terry

Hi Kerry - 6 days and counting!!! Are you crossing off the days on your calendar?? How many times have you packed and unpacked LOL.
Maybe people can have a think of things that you cant get in Sharm or are expensive that you can take with you.
Hi
definitely counting down, last weekend with my kids this weekend, this time next week will be my first whole day in Egypt.

Repacking and unpacking - not a problem - I have nowhere to store anything!! So I only have one suitcase full of stuff - the rest is at the tip. I only just realised today - I dont carry any keys any more - how weird is that, kind of liberating actually.

Really can't wait - but getting more nervous as day approaches - not looking forward to saying goodbye to my son on Sunday.

I dream of visas now - or is it nightmares LOL

Georgina

Georgina

Just English and a bit of French im afraid :(

oooh and American and Australian :)
I know at the Dive Tribe in El Gouna they only employ dive guides and instructors that can speak more than one language because so many different nationality tourists visit. And I have a friend who is a PADI Course Director, blonde, attractive but no languages so she struggled to find work. Maybe you can find a dive centre that only deals with British.

Now I don't want to put you off but just remember that PADI is all about selling the next course. And yes I was a PADI diver until I crossed over to British Sub Aqua Club and have been diving for ten years.

I don't work (much) but have been offered so many jobs and businesses so I am sure your talents in all fields will be used somewhere. And the experience of working in diving in the Red Sea will be unforgettable.

I'm sure you will get loads of offers to sell property too ;)

Can't wait to hear how you get on and wish you every success. It is a wonderful country.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Kerry - just seen this advertised

Reservation Assistant Sinai Divers is looking for a Reservation Assistant for the busy reservation office in Sharm el Sheikh. If you are interested in our job offer you should have the following qualifications: • Outgoing and energetic personality • Fluent English/German (spoken and written) language skills • Computer skills Word & Excel • Previous office experience • Ability to work well in a team and under pressure • Interested in a long term contract • Dive experience of advantage Please send your CV with photo to [email protected]. Position is for immediate start.

Georgina

Georgina

last weekend with my kids this weekend
If they have webcams (if not buy them one quick) you can Windows Live Messenger them for free and speak to them and see them everyday if you wish. Most of the internet cafes have webcams until you are set up at home. Internet somewhere like Hurghada is LE4 per hour in the cafes. OK in El Gouna it is probably LE20 but I am sure it is cheap in Sharm and Skype is also cheap. And I also have a Flickr page on Yahoo so I post all my photos and send my friends and family the link rather than emailing loads of photos all the time.

queenie40something

queenie40something

There are quite a few places in Sharm with free Wifi such as Mc Donalds, Papas Tavern outside the new waterpark in Hadaba and 1st Floor Bar at Ocean Bay hotel