The cost of Living in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

majjidpucit123

the cost of living in dubai is approximately $200.trasprtation and accomodation are very expensive.so you must be cost concious if you are living in Dubai. food items are cheap here in dubai.

A

asim_310

Need Some Help

Hi All,

I just got a job offer from a Dubai based company haing regional offices in Kuwait, Oman, Egypt, China and London.

The package is as follows:

Basic Salary : DHS. 3500 per month
House Rent Allowance : DHS. 1500 per month
Allowance : DHS. 1250 per month

Total Gross Package : DHS. 6250 per month

Medical Coverage for only myself.

Job Posting will be at Dubai or Sharjah

Will you people spare some moments and guide me whether should i go for this offer????

From the things that i have been reading in this forum regarding the escalated living cost in Dubai / Sharjah, I am quite afraid to go with this offer. What's the point in going abroad far from your family when on one hand, you live from hand to mouth and on the other hand you cant save money???

Will I be able to save money and send it back every month to my family in my home country?.

I need your suggestions please.

Thanks in Advance.

A

asim_310

Well it can be done , I agree
Just talking to some friends today who were asking 'is it worth going to the UAE' to work.
My answer is it can be, depends on what ur expectations are , and how you mange yourself .
I can say this much - if you work in architecture, design, construction, engineering or real estate in the Middle East, and are considering relocating there, please get in touch, i can advise you based on your own circumstances and expectations what is realistic.
I wont tell you what you want to hear but rather about how real people live.
all the best
CM
hi Chess Master...Will you be of some help to me please...

"Hi All,

I just got a job offer from a Dubai based company haing regional offices in Kuwait, Oman, Egypt, China and London.

The package is as follows:

Basic Salary : DHS. 3500 per month
House Rent Allowance : DHS. 1500 per month
Allowance : DHS. 1250 per month

Total Gross Package : DHS. 6250 per month

Medical Coverage for only myself.

Posting will be at Dubai or Sharjah

Will you people spare some moments and guide me whether should i go for this offer????

From the things that i have been reading in this forum regarding the escalated living cost in Dubai / Sharjah, I am quite afraid to go with this offer. What's the point in going abroad far from your family when on one hand, you live from hand to mouth and on the other hand you cant save money???

Will I be able to save money and send it back every month to my family in my home country?.

I need your suggestions please.

Thanks in Advance."

C

Chessmaster

what is your position ( job title) and what industry do u work in?
where are you from originally ( where are u relocating from?)

A

amusa

I just found this site while I was searching thru google.

I'm in the same boat. I will be flying into Dubai in couple of weeks. I was there 4 years ago. I'm meeting with the general manager over at SIEMENS. I work for SIEMENS in the USA, I'm looking to tranfer thru the same company. The good news is my sister lives in Abu-Dhabi but I'm still trying to figure out the cost of living in Abu-Dhabi compare to Dubi but what my sister is telling me that Abu-Dhabi is more expensive to live but I never been to Abu-Dhabi but this will be the first when I arrive.

I'm trying to do the math right now on how much I will need to survive in Dubi and or Abu-Dhabi before I fly out so I can get some numbers prepared .

A

asim_310

@Chess Master

what is your position ( job title) and what industry do u work in?
where are you from originally ( where are u relocating from?)
I am working in the Procurement Department of a local Oil Marketing Company and in this connection I got the job offer of "Purchase Executive" in an originally Dubai based company involved in signage and outdoor communication solutions on mass scale alongwith diversified business having regional offices in Kuwait, Oman, Egypt, China and London.
I will be relocating from Pakistan.

A

AJbara

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are considering moving to Dubai. I am an entry level Accountant and live in the Houston area. I (can't seem to find work here) : ( I have seen
seen salary ranges from 75000k-13000k. I take it this is per month?
I am also looking for a placement agency. Should anyone know of a good company with decent packages please feel free to respond. I just applied to Kellogg Brown and Root, keeping my fingers crossed.

R

ricorious

Should I stay or should I go???? :)

Hi there,

Thanks for your interesting conversation. I would like to tell you my situation to get an honest opinion.

I applied for a marketing job at a hotel in Dubai and got accepted a couple of days ago. However I am not too sure whether I should do it? The point is that I feel that the salary offered is probably just enough to survive (total package with live out allowance and all that AED10300). I mean I feel the experience both life and work is priceless. But is it really worth it if I would have to think twice every time I wanna make a purchase?

Anyhow, I went back to the company to ask for AED13000, so we'll see....

What do you think, should I stay or should I go???:)

Thanks in advance.

S

sriikanth

hi there

the cost of living is high in dubai but not as high as in london.
a one bed flat costs you about 100000dhs,
and the rest is almost as much as in london

srikant

A

AJbara

Go For IT!

You don't want to be there struggling so make out a financial plan for yourself and stick to it. If you know in your heart that you can live off of the money that's offered, then go for it!!!

Hi there
Thanks for your interesting conversation. I would like to tell you my situation to get an honest opinion.

I applied for a marketing job at a hotel in Dubai and got accepted a couple of days ago. However I am not too sure whether I should do it? The point is that I feel that the salary offered is probably just enough to survive (total package with live out allowance and all that AED10300). I mean I feel the experience both life and work is priceless. But is it really worth it if I would have to think twice every time I wanna make a purchase?

Anyhow, I went back to the company to ask for AED13000, so we'll see....

What do you think, should I stay or should I go???:)

Thanks in advance.

R

Robert Gavin

Shold be enough to live on.

One suggestion- bringing animal to Dubai is longwinded and expensive.

make sure you have all its injection certificates in order.

Good luck!

G

Gnair77

newbie needing help

hey guys,

was browsingg thru the net for some urgent info and happened on the site; think its been amazing the amount of info on offer.

the only issue i faced here was tat i thought the info was kinda dated.

have an offer as Retail Manager based in Dubai at about 13,000 DHS a month. (Indian rupees - 150,000 a month) and company provided car, thats all.no rent acco, no medical insurances.

Am currently based in Bombay, India and earn 60k Rs. after tax. am able to save 45k a month of this. my wife works a software / telecom architect and earns around 35k after tax which we save some 25k a month. total savings around 50-60k a month.

So, am wondering if the mentioned opening above is worth if after factoring the costs etc.

Can someone please put down their thoughts so that i can take an informed call?

Appreciate any help.

Regards

R

Roshan

hey guys,

was browsingg thru the net for some urgent info and happened on the site; think its been amazing the amount of info on offer.

the only issue i faced here was tat i thought the info was kinda dated.

have an offer as Retail Manager based in Dubai at about 13,000 DHS a month. (Indian rupees - 150,000 a month) and company provided car, thats all.no rent acco, no medical insurances.

Am currently based in Bombay, India and earn 60k Rs. after tax. am able to save 45k a month of this. my wife works a software / telecom architect and earns around 35k after tax which we save some 25k a month. total savings around 50-60k a month.

So, am wondering if the mentioned opening above is worth if after factoring the costs etc.

Can someone please put down their thoughts so that i can take an informed call?

Appreciate any help.

Regards
Hi,

Please do not waste your time taking this job for Dhs 13,000. You will not be able to survive in Dubai witrh that kind of salary. From what I see, you are doing well in India. Besides India is booming and the opportunities are great I am told. Pls do not make the mistake of taking the Dubai offer.

Good luck.

Roshan

S

savais

I agree with Roshan.

Even if you take the cheapest 1 bedroom in Dubai (intl City 1bdrm rent is approx 60K),that is 5K a month just on rent. The rest of your salary would be spent on living expenses, so you would not save anything. Better off saving 50K rupees a month in India.

H

hokutonoken

Need Important/urgent info about salary+package

Hi All,
I’m a Systems Engineer in the IT field, working for an IT American company. I am currently working since 1 year, just after being graduated and I’m now earning $2,500 as self-employed in Italy (kind of Consultant Agreement) + bonus around $10,000 per year. My company is thinking to open a new office in Dubai, Internet City and I’m looking forward to it. On the other hand I’d like to be aware of the expectations that I should have with regards to the salary and packages. The info that I’m finding on the web are quite different and I’m getting crazy, so I thought that maybe in forums I could have found some more help.
I’m moving with my girlfriend (we are not married yet, it doesn’t seem a big problem apparently since the law exists, but it’s not really “THE LAW” against unmarried couples) and I want to be sure that I’m asking for the right amount. Can someone suggest the right salary + packages that I could ask/achieve? Of course I’m considering as mandatory the health insurance paid for me and my girlfriend.
Thank you very much for your attention, looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers

R

Roshan

Hi All,
I’m a Systems Engineer in the IT field, working for an IT American company. I am currently working since 1 year, just after being graduated and I’m now earning $2,500 as self-employed in Italy (kind of Consultant Agreement) + bonus around $10,000 per year. My company is thinking to open a new office in Dubai, Internet City and I’m looking forward to it. On the other hand I’d like to be aware of the expectations that I should have with regards to the salary and packages. The info that I’m finding on the web are quite different and I’m getting crazy, so I thought that maybe in forums I could have found some more help.
I’m moving with my girlfriend (we are not married yet, it doesn’t seem a big problem apparently since the law exists, but it’s not really “THE LAW” against unmarried couples) and I want to be sure that I’m asking for the right amount. Can someone suggest the right salary + packages that I could ask/achieve? Of course I’m considering as mandatory the health insurance paid for me and my girlfriend.
Thank you very much for your attention, looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers
It all depends on what your expectations are. You should realize that the rents for a 1 bedroom could be around Dhs 5,000 to 7,000 depending on where you stay. You will not stay in a 1 BDR forever, when you get married and have children, then you need a bigger space.

Your asking will also depend on your life style. Allow Dhs 5,000 for food. Your start should be nothing less than Dhs 20,000.

Regards

Roshan

G

Gnair77

Hi,

Please do not waste your time taking this job for Dhs 13,000. You will not be able to survive in Dubai witrh that kind of salary. From what I see, you are doing well in India. Besides India is booming and the opportunities are great I am told. Pls do not make the mistake of taking the Dubai offer.

Good luck.

Roshan
--------------------------

thank you Roshan and Savais

S

steve_85

Advice Please

I was hoping someone copuld shed some light on the cost of living in Dubai.

I have recently been offered a job, but from what I have read, the offer isnt enought to maintain a decent lifestyle in dubai.

The offer is 18000 AED per month. Accomodation and car will be provided for 3 months only. Medical cover is part o the pack, plus reasonable relocation costs.

I would be moving and living on my own, but from what I have read, this isnt really enough to live.

Can someone please let me know if its a reasonable offer or if I should not bother.

Thanks in Advance!

R

Roshan

I was hoping someone copuld shed some light on the cost of living in Dubai.

I have recently been offered a job, but from what I have read, the offer isnt enought to maintain a decent lifestyle in dubai.

The offer is 18000 AED per month. Accomodation and car will be provided for 3 months only. Medical cover is part o the pack, plus reasonable relocation costs.

I would be moving and living on my own, but from what I have read, this isnt really enough to live.

Can someone please let me know if its a reasonable offer or if I should not bother.

Thanks in Advance!
As mentioned in the previous post. Accomodation is your biggest factor of expenses. If you have long term plans. think of buying a house, that way the expenses come down hopefully.

It all depends on what your expectations are. You should realize that the rents for a 1 bedroom could be around Dhs 5,000 to 7,000 depending on where you stay. You will not stay in a 1 BDR forever, when you get married and have children, then you need a bigger space.

Your asking will also depend on your life style. Allow Dhs 5,000 for food. Your start should be nothing less than Dhs 20,000.

You could be looking at expenses :

Rent Dhs 5,000 minimum
Food Dhs 5,000
Transport Dhs 2,000

Yiu could be left with a saving of around Dhs 5,000 to start with. The package is not bad for a start. Things would improve if the company is good - OR - look out for a better job.

PS : It also depends what you are giving up for this.

Regards

Roshan

C

Chessmaster

Some interesting posts - Steve85 I am not saying the figures quoted by Roshan are inaccurate, but I place professional western educated individuals in the Middle East every day of the week and as such have some pretty accurate figures.
Just one warning though - employers are very very wise to the fact that people are only interested in their money - ask yourself the question 'If I were in their shoes and people were only joining my firm because the Middle East is "where the money is", would I give that person a position in my firm'
Ciost of living is one thing - your expectations are entirely another matter!!
private message me if you like
cheers
CM

Status
Not open for further replies.