The cost of Living in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.
baheera

baheera

Have just gone through a report (forgot the source :s) that says Dubai is the most expensive in terms of basic services charges.

R

revolutionary

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum and the main driver is that I have an offer for Dubai.

They are offering all inclusive 45K AED/month. (Position is IT management related )

Have not got into the fine detail (insurance etc..) but roughly this is it.

I am married with 3 kids... doing a bit of research have left me wondering if this is still worth it and if the salary is adequate.

Can I get some guidance from you?

Thanks

James Bond

It very much depends on the lifestyle you want to achieve and whether you are single or have a family to support in Dubai.

With a family would come all the Schooling costs, larger residence, extra car, medical etc and then the all-in rate will disappear very quickly.

As a single you could live reasonably well but may find that you don't save as much as you might anticipate.

Assume costs are equivalent to living in London.

F

financier888

schooling allowance

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum and the main driver is that I have an offer for Dubai.

They are offering all inclusive 45K AED/month. (Position is IT management related )

Have not got into the fine detail (insurance etc..) but roughly this is it.

I am married with 3 kids... doing a bit of research have left me wondering if this is still worth it and if the salary is adequate.

Can I get some guidance from you?

Thanks

James Bond
It used be, (during the boom times) that if you had children, it was no uncommon to get an allowance toward the school fee's - in the firm I worked at - it was AED 5,000 per month... although at these times, that might be unachievable. Fortunately - the rents have dropped significantly but you better check on the school costs - one school doubled their fees last year! as well as the transport issue... You will find that the cost of your staples - food, etc. are still quite high in Dubai...it still is an expensive city to live in - with hidden charges most who haven;t lived here might not be aware of - like the Salik's (tolls) the almost doubled in price... if you are driving back and forth to work daily etc.. You should be able to live comfortably - but better check out the schools and costs first before you leap

S

sanjeev3112

Hi eyeC

We are moving to Dubai in January.
Package on offer is salary of circa 34,500AED per month, accommodation allowance of 130,000AED per annum, utility bills etc paid, fully expensed company car.
From what you were saying above, would you consider this is a good package, and we will survive comfortably, after all we only have to consider purchasing food, clothing, leisure etc etc.
Also, we do not have children, only a dog!
Any advice gratefully received.
Hi eyec

I am planning to move to dubai in the next couple of weeks as i have been offered a job by a healthcare company and they are offering me 5000dirhams per month + studio accomodation( as I am single) + car with petrol allowance.

food and utility bills are "not" included.

they are promising to increase the salary to 8000dirhams in 3 months on the basis of my performance.

could you please let me know if this is a good deal or no.

thanks a lot in advance

R

reasonant

Hi eyec

I am planning to move to dubai in the next couple of weeks as i have been offered a job by a healthcare company and they are offering me 5000dirhams per month + studio accomodation( as I am single) + car with petrol allowance.

food and utility bills are "not" included.

they are promising to increase the salary to 8000dirhams in 3 months on the basis of my performance.

could you please let me know if this is a good deal or no.

thanks a lot in advance
Good to survive but sad if your contract is terminated in one-three-six-ten months. Since you are single, you may well want to take up the risk but if you are doing well already in your home country, do not take up the opportunity. Things ain't that great anymore :-(

K

kannus

Hi Sanjeev,

The major expenses in dubai are rents. If you are getting an accomodation your break up would be something like this.Will the company provides cable/internet, water and electricity, and telephone bills..i've assumed they wont.Do you consume liquor, watch movies etc.I assumed u do.

Food = 800- 1000 Dhs per month( if you eat out ) If you cook it will cost around =300- 400 dhs
Cable = 150 dhs
Internet = 150 dhs
Water& Elec = 200 Dhs
Entertainment 4 weeks 150x4 = 600
Telephone (local) = 200
Telephone to India = 200( I assumed you will be using Voip)
These are the basic costs. Apart from that since you dont have a driving license, i'm not sure whether your company will take care of your transportation costs. Getting a driving license is a tough thing here and just to open a file and attend a minimum of 20 classes it will cost you around 3000 dhs(one time). Will the company take care of this?
If you have friends and relatives and you party out quite often you can add another 1000 dhs per month...
Hope this helps you to take a wise decision.

NB : I suggest you not to keep much hope on the promised 3000 dhs salary increment. Most of the companies gives you false promises.

S

sanjeev3112

Hi Kannus

thanks for the valuable information.

My company is providing me with a car with petrol allowance. I am getting an international driver license from my country which is valid there for 6-12 months. I have no contract with the company and I am just starting my career that's why I was just wondering if this is a good package or no. I have no friends in Dubai so partying won't be that often.

based on the information you have given I think my major concern is going to be the food bills and utility bills to some extent.

what do you think about the situation now and is there something else I should take care of?

sorry about asking too many questions.

thanks a bunch

K

Kjarkata

Take the job but just a caution, too many persons are losing their jobs on daily baisis as the bussinesses are running out or have liquidated or as a cost cut measure to survive. If the job is with a real estate or developer, do not take the job if you are planning for long term. (PS: Do not pay any amount to the recruiter in your home country, if the job is throgh the recruiting company, do not take it as it is ment for their own profit and you might lan up returning in few months)

I

ilya

Cost of living in Dubai

Hi Kannus

thanks for the valuable information.

My company is providing me with a car with petrol allowance. I am getting an international driver license from my country which is valid there for 6-12 months. I have no contract with the company and I am just starting my career that's why I was just wondering if this is a good package or no. I have no friends in Dubai so partying won't be that often.

based on the information you have given I think my major concern is going to be the food bills and utility bills to some extent.

what do you think about the situation now and is there something else I should take care of?

sorry about asking too many questions.

thanks a bunch
Sanjeev,

Basically you can survive with 5k AED but that's not going to be easy. 8k AED sounds much better. However, I've got a friend, his salary is about 6k AED, he manages to live with his wife and even afford a car. Car and petrol allowance is a good deal in your case.

Depending on your citizenship, your driving license may stop working here after you get the residence visa.

According to the Dubai living cost calculator you will need about 3633 AED a month for a studio in an inexpensive area + food. You may play with it yourself to check what is included into this.

Ask your employer for health insurance, it's quite expensive here.

As Jarkata said you may lose your job in a short while after arrival, so really consider whether you want to move here. when i relocated into Dubai we had around 120 people around the world working for the company, now there are only 30 or 40 left...

I

ilya

Useful links for the living cost

Forgot to add the links.

The forum doesn't allow me to add links, just remove the brackets ()

Cost of living calculator

crap-free(.)com/dubai-expat/cost-of-living-in-dubai-in-euro-dollars-gbp-aed/

Prices for food in Dubai supermarkets

crap-free(.)com/dubai-expat/how-much-does-food-cost-in-dubai/

hope that will make your decision clearer

K

kq1

--------------------------

thank you Roshan and Savais
Hi all,
I,m lookingfor some input from you kind people.I have sent resumes to a couple of companies directly through dubizzle classifieds.Would I be better off going through a recruitment agency? I am a 46 years old single male Britsh & us citizen. I have 30 years experience in high end custom woodworking,manufacture & installation.

Thanking you in anticipation. (or am I too old?)

G

georgihh

Hi all,
I,m lookingfor some input from you kind people.I have sent resumes to a couple of companies directly through dubizzle classifieds.Would I be better off going through a recruitment agency? I am a 46 years old single male Britsh & us citizen. I have 30 years experience in high end custom woodworking,manufacture & installation.

Age is not a problem you need to sell and sell heavily.
Considering the current situating if you are just a handyman don’t touch this place

F

financier888

Hi all,

I would urge you to contact recruiters and get their feedback - which may save you much valuable time and energy. I would think it may be difficult, (although not impossible) as much of the demand for 'high-end' has dropped significantly - also considering your experience level, you are no doubt seeking a higher wage. I think it will be very difficult and living in Dubai is expensive. You may have better prospects in the EU. You would also be competing with much lower wage earners within the labour pool

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.