The cost of Living in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roshan

Some interesting posts - Steve85 I am not saying the figures quoted by Roshan are inaccurate, but I place professional western educated individuals in the Middle East every day of the week and as such have some pretty accurate figures.
Just one warning though - employers are very very wise to the fact that people are only interested in their money - ask yourself the question 'If I were in their shoes and people were only joining my firm because the Middle East is "where the money is", would I give that person a position in my firm'
Ciost of living is one thing - your expectations are entirely another matter!!
private message me if you like
cheers
CM
The figures I mentioned were just indicatory. I am sure you would be having the right details.

I agree with your arguement.

Regards

Roshan

B

battered_calamari

need to know if it's worth going

Hi all, I am new to this site and i recieved an offer to go to dubai.

I am currently making $65,000 in Canada and pay only $400 for rent.

The offer to me is

work - consultant / senior post production and visual effects artist for film and television

21,400 dirham per month or 5,800 us.

+ 5,500 dirham for rent allowance

+ full coverage benefits.

+ all flights paid

no travel allowance.

--------------
I've read a good mix of different things, my main goal is to save as much as possible. I like to treat myself to some luxurious meals once in a while but I dont need to many toys. I also plan to explore different parts of dubai and try diffrerent activities that are available there.

I dont want to lower my living standards which is pretty good right now.

Is it worth it for me to take this offer?
Should I ask for more?

I would appreciate any advice given. I need to give an answer somewhat soon.

thank you all.

S

savais

How much are you saving in Canada right now? Are you looking to stay in a 1 bedrm or 2 bedrm? Are you picky about where you live (international city?nahda?)
All these answers will help you decide.

B

battered_calamari

I'm looking into a 2 bedroom. i will be there with a business partner. I do not want to spend more than 30 minutes getting to work. The office is from what i was told is located in the expensive side of the town. I save between $3000 to $4200 living in canada. I am not too picky where I live as long as its not the slums. I also dont plan to lower my living standards from what it is now.

S

savais

Very honestly, I very much doubt you will save 3000 dollars equivalent (10000dhs) here with your requirements. A 2bdrm in the cheapest area is around 95000dhs annually (nahda, international city). Places like the Greens, Marina, etc are much more expensive (around 140000-180000dhs per year).

S

savais

To get an idea of the rent in various places in dubai, go to GNAds4U.com and do a search for rent for 2 bdrm apartments in various areas. With your salary you can have a comfrtable life in Dubai, but not save as much as you are currently saving.

Another option, if you plan on living here for long time, is to purchase property because then your capital appreciation will be your savings.

B

battered_calamari

I also have a question about taxes. If I was to work in Dubai for 6 - 8 months will I have to pay taxes on my income when i go back to canada?

If so how much of it is taxable? What would I have to do so that i am not subjected to any taxes.

thanks again.

S

savais

To avoid paying taxes, you need to cut ties with canada. That is, properties, bank accounts, etc. However, if you are only planning on coming here for 6-8 months, I don't know if that is such a good idea. I do know that if you are out of canada for more than 6 months, you do get some tax breaks, but the best thing would be to go to H&R block or some lawyer and ask them about your options.

G

Gnair77

review on the offer

--------------------------

Originally Posted by Gnair77
hey guys,

was browsingg thru the net for some urgent info and happened on the site; think its been amazing the amount of info on offer.

the only issue i faced here was tat i thought the info was kinda dated.

have an offer as Retail Manager based in Dubai at about 13,000 DHS a month. (Indian rupees - 150,000 a month) and company provided car, thats all.no rent acco, no medical insurances.

Am currently based in Bombay, India and earn 60k Rs. after tax. am able to save 45k a month of this. my wife works a software / telecom architect and earns around 35k after tax which we save some 25k a month. total savings around 50-60k a month.

So, am wondering if the mentioned opening above is worth if after factoring the costs etc.

Can someone please put down their thoughts so that i can take an informed call?

Appreciate any help.

Regards

thank you Roshan and Savais

Heyg guys,

the company i was talking about in my earlier post (13000 Dhms monthly) has come back with a revised offer of 17000 Dhms monthly.....

they will provide medicals/gratuity/car/incentives(after 6 months)/flight tickets for me and wife/i month paid leave every 12 months.......in addition to the salary.....

my objective would be to save around 9000-10000 Dhms a month...my wife a software architect working on telecom networks who would also want to work there.....

Do you guys think this seems a better offer????

do let me know

appreciate the response

R

Roshan

Heyg guys,

the company i was talking about in my earlier post (13000 Dhms monthly) has come back with a revised offer of 17000 Dhms monthly.....

they will provide medicals/gratuity/car/incentives(after 6 months)/flight tickets for me and wife/i month paid leave every 12 months.......in addition to the salary.....

my objective would be to save around 9000-10000 Dhms a month...my wife a software architect working on telecom networks who would also want to work there.....

Do you guys think this seems a better offer????

do let me know

appreciate the response

All the add ons are actually standard and not much of a deal. Incentives is a very dark issue and an employer can renegade on that. If he upped the offer, naturally you are in demand. Pull it to Dhs 20 K with everything and the incentives.

The job market is good and you wife should be able to get e fairly decent job. A lot would depend on your standard of living. But with the current conditions if your wife should get a job. Saving Dhs 9K I feel should not be a problem.

Ask for more is the first step - otherwise believe you me you are better of in India.

Regards

Roshan

G

Gnair77

All the add ons are actually standard and not much of a deal. Incentives is a very dark issue and an employer can renegade on that. If he upped the offer, naturally you are in demand. Pull it to Dhs 20 K with everything and the incentives.

The job market is good and you wife should be able to get e fairly decent job. A lot would depend on your standard of living. But with the current conditions if your wife should get a job. Saving Dhs 9K I feel should not be a problem.

Ask for more is the first step - otherwise believe you me you are better of in India.

Regards

Roshan
hi Roshan,

I had reverted on their offer asking for 20k and this is what they have come back with.......

so was trying to see if this can be good enuff.....

wat say?

R

Roshan

hi Roshan,

I had reverted on their offer asking for 20k and this is what they have come back with.......

so was trying to see if this can be good enuff.....

wat say?
20K is good for a start, provided you do not have high society living. If you wife starts working and she gets paid another 10 to 15 K you should be able to save 10 K every month.

Good luck.

Regards

Roshan

D

dannytm85

I have just received an offer a little below my expectations from a very reputable company. I have only just graduated so experience is not extensive in the field. Having lived as a student i can live on a budget but also hope to put some money aside. Anyway, here's my offer:

Basic 5,000 AED per month
1 bed flat shared accommodation furnished
2000 AED transportation allowance excluding petrol, with petrol card provided (what does that mean???!!!)
Regional medical insurance
Phone + sim and business usage
Ticet to dubai
1 round trip to city of origin per year
30 days leave

Any initial thoughts? Am i expected to barter for a better wage? Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks

T

tonz217

Hi Roshan and Dubai guys,

I am a middle level executive in an American film company with an office in the Philippines. I earn the monthly equivalent of about 15,000 AED net of taxes here. A Dubai-based licensee
for the same American company I work for offered me a department head position to oversee operations covering KSA, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait.. I have submitted my existing compensation package and am awaiting a formal offer.

If I seek to rent a studio or 1 bedroom apt in an upper middle income location and live a moderate lifestyle (bars and dine outs only in the weekends) and save 10,000 AED a month to send home, what kind of compensation should I target?

Your coments woud help me decide and haggle a package. Thanks

A

acassim

Hi Tonz,
Rule 1 in Dubai - Your package is almost always determined by your nationality. Certain nationalities get paid much more than others for the same job. There is no upper middle income location per say in Dubai. If you will be based in IMPZ (I would presume since you are being offered a position at a Film Company),look out for properties around the area to avoid traffic. Studios go for around Dhs 80k per annum with 1 br at around Dhs 90-100k. The area is still under construction so be prepared. Alternatively, look at Discovery Gardens which is close enought and the prices are approx. Dhs 110k for a 1 br. You pay at least 50% of your salary in accommodation in Dubai.

R

Roshan

Hi Roshan and Dubai guys,

I am a middle level executive in an American film company with an office in the Philippines. I earn the monthly equivalent of about 15,000 AED net of taxes here. A Dubai-based licensee
for the same American company I work for offered me a department head position to oversee operations covering KSA, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait.. I have submitted my existing compensation package and am awaiting a formal offer.

If I seek to rent a studio or 1 bedroom apt in an upper middle income location and live a moderate lifestyle (bars and dine outs only in the weekends) and save 10,000 AED a month to send home, what kind of compensation should I target?

Your coments woud help me decide and haggle a package. Thanks
Hello there,

From what I can gather, in the Philiphines, your responsibilities were restricted to the country itself.

You are now going to a position which would that be of a Regional Manager covering not one but many areas.

A 1 BDR in upper middle market would be Dhs 120,000 per year ( 1 USD = 3.673 ).

A weekend dine out for me, a family of 4 comes to nothing less than Dhs 175. This is in standard restaurants and not five stars.

A beer would cost you anywhere between Dhs 25 to 35 per can / pint.

Hope you have not played into their hands by submitting your existing compensation package. I am not a recruitment agent but if I go by papers the salaries should be in the range of Dhs 30,000 to Dhs 40,000. Get an idea by going through the appointments section of Gulf News Gulfnews: Home

Mind you, the job market is very tight in Dubai, it's difficult to find good workers. You cannot find workers even if you are willing to pay. I feel you should take advantage of the situation. show that you are not interested in a package less then what you should actually get. Just tell them you are not interested below a certain level. Believe you me, they will come back with a revised package.

Regards

Roshan

R

Roshan

I have just received an offer a little below my expectations from a very reputable company. I have only just graduated so experience is not extensive in the field. Having lived as a student i can live on a budget but also hope to put some money aside. Anyway, here's my offer:

Basic 5,000 AED per month
1 bed flat shared accommodation furnished
2000 AED transportation allowance excluding petrol, with petrol card provided (what does that mean???!!!)
Regional medical insurance
Phone + sim and business usage
Ticet to dubai
1 round trip to city of origin per year
30 days leave

Any initial thoughts? Am i expected to barter for a better wage? Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks
A lot of companies now believe in getting graduates in and train them.

Putting aside would depend a lot on your life style. Nothing hot about the package. To survive and put something aside, I have my doubts.

Petrol card is a sort of a debit card, where the company gets the bills directly. You don't pay anything at a gas station.

I feel you should barter for more. Sharing accommodation could be uncomfortable at times and you would like to move out to your own place which can share with people with whom you gel. Can you in such cases negotiate for a housing allowance.

Conclusion : you should be asking for more.

Let me know if you require any help.

Regards

Roshan

A

APals

Want Help

Very warm greetings to everyone over here. Like fellow posters who were eager to find out about an 'as true as possible' picture of Dubai's cost of living, so they know exactly what they're looking forward to, so am I.

I've got a fairly nice picture from the replies here by all my esteemed experienced members in this regard, but I would be grateful if my personal scenario is being answered as well:

I'm a 25 year old Airline Pilot from Pakistan. I've been offered a job position in the same capacity in Dubai by one of the leading airlines of that region. My offered gross salary, inclusive of all allowances, is approximately 60,000 Dhs. If I do move here, i would be doing so with my wife (no children). Some of the things that my company is gonna take care for me are: all educational expense (though not applicable to me),transportation to and from the airport, all utility expenses, and a number of insurances. Guaranteed significant salary increments will also occur every year.

What i'm looking forward to is a high lifestyle and a commendable saving for various purposes. I would be fairly satisfied with renting a luxurious 2 bedroom apartment but in a prestigious locality nothing less than Jumeirah or Marina; able to buy/lease such an automobile as a BMW 7-Series or Mercedes CLK, and live a high-life with a good saving ability. If these are fairly possible, then only would i consider for a move there, otherwise there's no point of me taking this step.

I would appreciate shedding some light on this query of mine. Thanks a lot.

T

tonz217

Roshan and Accassim,

Thanks for your honest and upright comments. It does put into perspective my approach to properly evaluating a compensation package offer. I have heard of so many stories of my nationals bowled over by the gross offer without considering the cost of lving in Dubai. They end up cramped in small rooms to make budgets fit and send money to their families here.

I am suprised housing may end up about 50% of average salary. At present I spend 15% only and I live in a middle income 2 BR loft condominium. I also found out inflation in Dubai is at about 12% in 2007 compared to 6% here. That does put things into a very different light also.

I will take that advice on seeking a minimum level and see how it works out. No use sacrificing my present lifestyle blinded by seemingyi higher gross numbers.

Thanks again.

R

Roshan

Very warm greetings to everyone over here. Like fellow posters who were eager to find out about an 'as true as possible' picture of Dubai's cost of living, so they know exactly what they're looking forward to, so am I.

I've got a fairly nice picture from the replies here by all my esteemed experienced members in this regard, but I would be grateful if my personal scenario is being answered as well:

I'm a 25 year old Airline Pilot from Pakistan. I've been offered a job position in the same capacity in Dubai by one of the leading airlines of that region. My offered gross salary, inclusive of all allowances, is approximately 60,000 Dhs. If I do move here, i would be doing so with my wife (no children). Some of the things that my company is gonna take care for me are: all educational expense (though not applicable to me),transportation to and from the airport, all utility expenses, and a number of insurances. Guaranteed significant salary increments will also occur every year.

What i'm looking forward to is a high lifestyle and a commendable saving for various purposes. I would be fairly satisfied with renting a luxurious 2 bedroom apartment but in a prestigious locality nothing less than Jumeirah or Marina; able to buy/lease such an automobile as a BMW 7-Series or Mercedes CLK, and live a high-life with a good saving ability. If these are fairly possible, then only would i consider for a move there, otherwise there's no point of me taking this step.

I would appreciate shedding some light on this query of mine. Thanks a lot.
With a Dhs 60,000 package you should be more than OK.

Getting a 2 BDR in Marina would be in the range of Dhs 150,000 per year.

A BMW or Mercedes could be got with a bank loan and fixed installments going out every month.

Pilots are in demand if I am not mistaken. Not happy - switch, the job market in Dubai is good.

Good luck.

Regards

Roshan

Status
Not open for further replies.