Media Watch

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Margaret - this even hit the major papers here as well. The bus was a total burnt out shell and the injuries suffered sounded very horrific.

L

Lsab

Just another quick one liner.
People in Cairo are quite stunned by the latest price increases. It has been one thing after another for them.

Margaret
My husband read on Al Jazeera website, that Mubarak raised wages in the public sector by 30% and a few days later raised petrol by 30%!! Sounds a bit Blair/Brown to me though guess they wouldn't have been so upfront!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Linda - I know how bizarre to raise wages by 30% and then raise other daily necessities by up to 58%. I saw another report that this will now fuel more riots etc.

M

M Butler

Here is the article about the price increases may provoke street riots AKI - Adnkronos international Egypt: Price increases may provoke street riots, say MPs
I haven't seen anything in Cairo and I was out this morning driving down to the Khan el Khalili. If anything, the traffic is heavier.
Must say though, one of the vendors tried to sell me two vanilla pods for 100 EGP so obviously the price increases are taking effect, but I think I will put it down to the famous Egyptian sense of humour. I got them for 35 EGP eventually which is still too expensive but I didn't have time to haggle any longer.

On a serious note though, I have noticed big increases in prices in the shops. I would expect another round of price increases as we speak because of the cost of petrol.

Margaret

V

vix

I haven't seen anything in Cairo and I was out this morning driving down to the Khan el Khalili. If anything, the traffic is heavier.
Must say though, one of the vendors tried to sell me two vanilla pods for 100 EGP so obviously the price increases are taking effect, but I think I will put it down to the famous Egyptian sense of humour. I got them for 35 EGP eventually which is still too expensive but I didn't have time to haggle any longer.

On a serious note though, I have noticed big increases in prices in the shops. I would expect another round of price increases as we speak because of the cost of petrol.

Margaret
What do you do with vanilla pods?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I just tried it and its working for me. Can someone else try please and report if it works for them or not. I know Linda could access it as well.

Thanks