Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
L

Lsab

I think it would be easier when you live there. Although we've lived in lots of countries in the Gulf, there's so many different nationalities here that English seems the common one of choice, so I've never felt the need. Good on you both for giving it a go - it's such a difficult one to learn.

L

Lsab

Just found the thread you mentioned Queenie. Thanks....and disregard my question Peter!!

queenie40something

queenie40something

You found it then. Need to start up phrase of the day or something.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
When we move out permanently we definately intend to learn; our two grand daughters were both born in Spain and are already bi-lingual so Arabic should come naturally for them. We will have to learn so that we know what they are saying about us!!

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
freee

Dear All forum members I can provide you for free discount card for hard Rock Cafe Hurghada for 10% Discount any one interested let me know
Regards

L

lyndsay552

Isab,

I am learning arabic but from a CD and it is hard to get the pronouciation right, but I supose the longer you are over there the better it will become.
I'm doing the same. I got the Rosetta Stone CD-ROm but found it hard to use. I got a new one yesterday, Talk Now and it seems must better. I',m starting to recognise some words now but ask me what dog is and it's another story.

As you say it will be easier once we are over there. I've noticed that the egyptians seem to appreciate you speaking Egyptian but it takes me a huge amount of concentration and planning to say 'thank you' to a waiter but it'll come.

Lyndsay

L

Lsab

I'm doing the same. I got the Rosetta Stone CD-ROm but found it hard to use. I got a new one yesterday, Talk Now and it seems must better. I',m starting to recognise some words now but ask me what dog is and it's another story.

As you say it will be easier once we are over there. I've noticed that the egyptians seem to appreciate you speaking Egyptian but it takes me a huge amount of concentration and planning to say 'thank you' to a waiter but it'll come.

Lyndsay
Ah ha...at least I know what dog is - kelb (soft 'B') as Arabs tend to use it as a derogatory remark! try and get a CD/book that teaches Egyptian Arabic. I think that's always been part of my problem - my husband tells me the Egyptian word then proceeds to tell me that it's different in formal Arabic, and tells me that too! I then give up:).
Arabs everywhere apparently understand Egyptian as many films and TV programmes are made there - just like most English speaking countries understand the different American accents, phrases etc. My husband barely understands e.g. Tunisian Arabic as it's heavily accented - maybe like an American wouldn't understand a Glaswegian! They'll all understand formal Arabic, if that's what you use, but in Egypt they'll speak back to you in Egyptian Arabic! Is it any wonder I barely speak a word of it!!!

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Ah ha...at least I know what dog is - kelb (soft 'B') as Arabs tend to use it as a derogatory remark! try and get a CD/book that teaches Egyptian Arabic. I think that's always been part of my problem - my husband tells me the Egyptian word then proceeds to tell me that it's different in formal Arabic, and tells me that too! I then give up:).
Arabs everywhere apparently understand Egyptian as many films and TV programmes are made there - just like most English speaking countries understand the different American accents, phrases etc. My husband barely understands e.g. Tunisian Arabic as it's heavily accented - maybe like an American wouldn't understand a Glaswegian! They'll all understand formal Arabic, if that's what you use, but in Egypt they'll speak back to you in Egyptian Arabic! Is it any wonder I barely speak a word of it!!!
Hi All when here i can help in parctice for arabic for free ;)

queenie40something

queenie40something

Window Locks

Hi all

Wasnt sure where to post this so thought I would post here.

Lidl's have window locks that you can attach to the inside of your windows and patio doors and an alarm goes off ( not connected to police station but acts as a deterrant ) if anyone tries to enter.

They are bought in packs of 4 for £3. My friend buys them for her daughter as she is an air hostess and puts them on her hotel windows to feel a little safer at night.

Great idea.

Regards

Alison

C

clara

Looking for real estate work in Egypt

I am considering moving to Egypt and i am looking for work in the real estate industry, because i understand the property market is doing really well. I have been working in the industry for over 13years, both in Spain and Hungary.

Please can anyone give me some advise on any real estate companies looking for field sales excutives, and also the + and - of living/ working there.

Thank you.

Clara:)

queenie40something

queenie40something

I am considering moving to Egypt and i am looking for work in the real estate industry, because i understand the property market is doing really well. I have been working in the industry for over 13years, both in Spain and Hungary.

Please can anyone give me some advise on any real estate companies looking for field sales excutives, and also the + and - of living/ working there.

Thank you.

Clara:)
Hi Clara and welcome

You may wish to post on our sister site that is for expats as you may get a response on there as this site is really for investors.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/egypt-expat-forum-expats-living-egypt/

Regards

Alison

C

clara

Thank you for replying, i will do this, and hopefully i will have some sucess.:eek:

J

Julia_Hulia

language and job

Hi all!
I do speak arabic and I'm not egyptian))
As for Clara I think you will easily find a job in Real Estate in Hurghada, just look in big companies. Native english speaker will never get lost there.
As for the money... I think 200 dollars enough for one person per month, but only on food and without eating and drinking out.:D

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi all!
I do speak arabic and I'm not egyptian))
As for Clara I think you will easily find a job in Real Estate in Hurghada, just look in big companies. Native english speaker will never get lost there.
As for the money... I think 200 dollars enough for one person per month, but only on food and without eating and drinking out.:D
200 $ no way to be enough for living

C

clara

What would you say is the cost of living? and also the rent for a nice apartment, located close to all amenities, good views, 2 bedrooms and a swimming pool in the development.

Also with regards to work, what sort of salary is the norm for someone in real estate, or is it commision only?

:cool:

J

Julia_Hulia

What would you say is the cost of living? and also the rent for a nice apartment, located close to all amenities, good views, 2 bedrooms and a swimming pool in the development.

Also with regards to work, what sort of salary is the norm for someone in real estate, or is it commision only?

:cool:
somewhere in Sakkala without swimming pool and good view about 310$. But note that you will pay extra for electricity, water and doorman. With swimming pool i think will be more then 800$ per month, but in Mostaba i remember was possible to rent a studio for 300$ (nice view swimming pool, but on the hill which makes this residence very difficult to get into if u don't have a car).
Salary as I know in real estate - basic - around 500$ and commissions from each sale. But if you do really have a good experience you can negotiate the basic salary.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Ohh Cmon George us women like a good feed LOL or is it just the alcohol!!