Warning about contaminated bottled water

G

GM43

Banned
You can buy different filters here in Egypt. In our house in Hurghada we have a filter of the company: British Berkefeld. Website: Drinking Water Filters - home water filtration systems
The Range of Drinking Water Filter Housings from Fairey Industrial Ceramics model no: HBA MkII is at least available in Egypt.
You can buy them at the dutyfree shop at the Seagull hotel or Abu Ashara family market. Replacement filters about LE 90. Complete I think LE 350-400, but it's a while ago that we bought it.
There are also (from another company) 5-stage filters, they come to your house when to change filters on schedule. Price app. LE 4000.

BTW: water in Hurghada is not much chlorined. In Cairo it is!

RedSeaVision.com

RedSeaVision.com

Is there any suggestions of bottled water companies that have not had problems with contamination, so we can all look for these brands when purchasing water in Egypt?

A

awahee123

Banned
I'm sure this problem must be sorted by now,any idea queenie if this issue has been resolved?.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I have not found any further reports or updates. Will let you know if there is any new news.

G

GM43

Banned
Dasani and Aquafina are maybe ok, but here is the problem that in the UK and USA they use filtered tapwater! What do you expect they use in Egypt? Mineralwater?? If you want to check this out, google for it. But I really don't know which brand is ok.

RedSeaVision.com

RedSeaVision.com

Has there been any problems with sparkling (with gas) water? This is what I drink most often anyway.

J

jeremy bright

is the water delivered and stored at the apartments or piped in as if delivered had a bigger chance of contamination with dirty tankers and when is siting in the tanks on the complex

G

GM43

Banned
we are talking about mineral water, so the water in bottles.
tap water can come through pipes (depending on the area of Hurghada) and/or there are tanks on/under the complex.

B

BobandJacq

Is the water always responsible?

When I got the dreaded stomach upset in El Gouna I was told that it was most likely to be due to handling the money. I was told we should always wash our hands after touching the money or use alchohol hand wash or wipes (similar to that now used in hospitals and available in shops in Egypt and the UK)

If anyone does fall ill buy some Antinal from the pharmacy as it works better than the UK tablets.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi - Yes the money is filthy and we always use anti bacterial hand gel that requires no water to clean our hands.
Also dont gulp freezing water as this can lead to stomach upset.
Alot of people also make the mistake of sitting in the searing heat then heading for their room and putting on the air con. The body isnt used to sudden extreme changes and this will make you ill as well.
antinal can be bought at any chemist. Make sure they charge you the correct amount which is about 5le a pack ( 50p ). If they try and charge more take the packet and point out the price on it to them. If they still try to charge you more tell them you will inform the tourist police. This normally works and you will get it for the correct price.