Tenant problems

D

dnc

Hi
First post
requesting help / information please.
We have owned an apartment in International City from new for several years and rented it out through an agent.
The current tenants last 2 payments have not been met. Cheques bounced etc.
The agent has tried to contact him but he has made several excuses and now he is out of the country but his brother is still there.
The agent is now asking us for 5000aed to start proceedings to evict but we are informed this could take months.
As you can imagine I am not happy.
What do you think?

Thanks in advcance.

D

dnc

Can my agent go and kick them out and change the locks?
Can I do this?
Where do we stand legally?

Thanks

J

jackie606

tenant problem

Hi
I assume your agent has advised you or you already know it is illegal to bounce a cheque in Dubai and therefore the police would be interested? a visit from them should persuade the unwanted tenant to leave and stop the original tenant coming back to Dubai to do it again. You will need a copy of the original tenants passport which you should have received on the signing of the lease, a copy of the lease and the notification of the bounced cheques from the bank.
Good Luck

D

dnc

Thank you for the reply.
I believe our agent has gone down this route so hopefully this will do the trick.
Yesterday I received news that the tenant has returned and promised to pay all monies owing and would like to stay for another 12 months.
He now knows we have lodged a complaint with the police.
See what happens next.

Thanks again

J

jackie606

You are very welcome... it can be a complicated market from a distance
Jackie

B

BobbytheBuilder

Hi
First post
requesting help / information please.
We have owned an apartment in International City from new for several years and rented it out through an agent.
The current tenants last 2 payments have not been met. Cheques bounced etc.
The agent has tried to contact him but he has made several excuses and now he is out of the country but his brother is still there.
The agent is now asking us for 5000aed to start proceedings to evict but we are informed this could take months.
As you can imagine I am not happy.
What do you think?

Thanks in advcance.
DNC hope it gets sorted out for you. Let us know how you get on.

P

paul1970

Can my agent go and kick them out and change the locks?
Can I do this?
Where do we stand legally?

Thanks
Bounced cheque is a criminal case and referred to police/court. The tenant can end up in jail.

Evicting the tenant is a different process that is to be done in Dubai municipality(DM). You or your agent with POA can represent the DM. 1 month notice through a Notary public notice has to be sent to the tenant. Then a case has to be opened in DM for eviction. The DM will give a date for inquiry. Both the tenant and you/your agent have to attend the inquiry. A judgement would be given based on the facts and inquiry. Normally it takes 2-3 months. If the tenant does not evict even after the judgement, DM (with police if necessary) will photograph and remove all the materials of the tenant and apartment cleared from the tenant and handed over to you /your agent.