Shipping container buildings - Planning permission?

J

jamphi24

Hi all.
Borrowed this that was posted on another forum but thought it was an interesting concept and it didn't seem to get much of a responce and I wouldn't mind knowing the answers, thought people on here would be better placed to answer maybe?
---------------------------------------------------
Hi
I have seen lots of things in Europe relating to using converted shipping containers for all sorts of domestic and business use.
Some examples here:
shipping container conversion - Google Search

I was wondering a few things:
1. Does anyone know any companies that do these conversions in Brazil?
2. If the answer to the above is no, do you think they could be imported already built easily?
3. As they are in effect not permanent structures as they can be moved, do you require planning permition?
4. If I purchased some land in Brazil, are you able to have electricity/water supplied to it easily? Are you allowed to pave over the land you buy? And linking into the above question does this require planning permition.

Thanks for help.
-----------------------------------------------------------

debzor

debzor

Hi all.
Borrowed this that was posted on another forum but thought it was an interesting concept and it didn't seem to get much of a responce and I wouldn't mind knowing the answers, thought people on here would be better placed to answer maybe?
---------------------------------------------------
Hi
I have seen lots of things in Europe relating to using converted shipping containers for all sorts of domestic and business use.
Some examples here:
shipping container conversion - Google Search

I was wondering a few things:
1. Does anyone know any companies that do these conversions in Brazil?
2. If the answer to the above is no, do you think they could be imported already built easily?
3. As they are in effect not permanent structures as they can be moved, do you require planning permition?
4. If I purchased some land in Brazil, are you able to have electricity/water supplied to it easily? Are you allowed to pave over the land you buy? And linking into the above question does this require planning permition.

Thanks for help.
-----------------------------------------------------------
As a general point, I know a kite surfing school that uses one near me to store all their stuff. It is certainly secure - probably the weakest point is the padlock!

But it absolutely boils inside.

Here in NE Brazil we design accomodation to be as airy and open as possible, and great consideration is given to the sun. For example the direction in which a building faces (nascente - east, facing the rising sun, or poente - west, the setting sun),dramatically alters the design because the sun is hottest in the afternoon and we want to protect against it. (Out of interest a nascente house is always more expensive than a similar poente one).

You do need planning permission for any living accomodation (except on a farm for your personal use),although this is ignored in many areas, and utilities will depend on where you are.

But I would imagine the cost to purchase, convert, ship, etc, plus the huge import duty, would be far more than building a small home here...

Last edited:
J

JMBroad

I agree with Debzor - a container would be far too hot here in Brazil for residential or commercial purposes. And it would probably be just as cheap to have a small house built. Cheaper if you consider value for money.

Any plans for your next trip Jamphi?

J

jamphi24

Hey John,
Don't know as yet - unfortunately my gran is very ill so it may delay my next trip :(

But I am still planning to try and move over this year or early next. Just doing lots of research into different ideas to make a living over there!

Will catch up on facebook or something with you soon and chat through some of my ideas.

Back onto the shipping container stuff. Supposedly you can insulate them pretty well against heat (remember they ship all sorts of goods in them).

But I thought something like this was interesting:
And I would have thought a lot cheaper/faster/easier to construct than brick? (obviously doesn't need to be on that scale but a couple of containers could make quite a nice store for example?

Back onto planning permission side of things debzor you said planning permission is required for living - what about commercial?