Revoking a Bulgarian Power of Attorney for a property sale.

W

whiterose

Hi all,

Having recently returned from a trip to my apartment in Bulgaria after putting this on the market for sale with just a single agent I was pursuaded by him to authorise a Power of Attorney for an imminent sale which upon returning home fell through. I feel I was hurried into this on the last day before my departure and consequently didn't have much time to think. The Lawyer was also introduced to me by the sales Agent.

Upon reflection I feel that I have made a mistake and now wish to have this revoked. is there a standard form which I could buy in order to complete this procedure. I do know that the revokation needs to be sent to the Lawyer together with a request for return of all relevant documents and probably the Labd Registry as well.
Also that this will have to be undertaken before the Notary Public and so does anyone know if I return to Bulgaria for this purpose will I be able to conduct this myself? If so what are the step by step procedures involved. If not, can any member please advise and recommend a reputable lawyer in the Sunny Beach area, and what sort of approximate price should I expect to pay for this service. The lawyer is now not responding to my e-mails which is a concern especially as the POA states that the Power can be 'delegated' (it does not specify to whom).
Any guidance or information would be greatly appreciated.

Also do Attorneys at Law need to be registered at the Bar and provided with a Registration Number...as in England the relevant institution is the Law Society.
I have requested this info but to date this has not been forthcoming.

Hoping someone can help.

best wishes to members of this Forum (which is very useful to us investors)

Whiterose

A

anton.bghome

I hear its usualy done trough the notary who approved the POA. You provide a declaration for revoking the POA any bulgarian lawyer can prepare it for you. And then you send notarized invitation/notification to the person you authorized to transfer your property, which states that you revoke his rights under which law i don't know (im not a lawyer).

Your best bet is the bulgarian embassy, they can probably help you sort things out.

W

whiterose

This is helpful!

Thanks for the information Anton, very much appreciated.

This website is a great help to investors who have an interest in all things
Bulgarian.

I would just like to see many more contributions on this Forum from other members, so how about it folks! Does anyone else agree?

Best regards

Whiterose

M

marian o boyle

whiterose revoking a poa

hello whiterose,
you must get the original poa back but if they are not replying to you you must get a solicitor to do it and it will cost you about 300 or 400 euro, you can do it by email
but you must do it quickly, to protect your property in bulgaria you should change the locks on it and fit it with an alarm so that no one can enter it without you knowing, if they sell your apt to a new owner they could keep the money and the new owner would be able to live in your apt as you authorised the poa , as this has happened in the past. signing a poa for paying bills , renting apartments , is crazy just go over there when you sell your apt in person to sign any documents and you will know what you are doing. Would you do it as easily at home???? think think think about it, and beware.
marian

L

ladybird2011

Whiterose - I realise you are concerned and feel you may have rushed into things but apartment from not being able to get this lawyer on the phone, are there any other reasons to think that there maybe a problem? It is the middle of August, most of Bulgaria are on holiday so not particularly strange that you cannot reach your lawyer immediately. And what happens if you find another buyer? How would you complete a sale - go back to Bulgaria? Which agent are you using to list your apartment?

To revoke a POA you need to get the original back and put it in writing to the person who you gave POA to that you are revoking their authorisation. It would be wise to send a copy of this revokation to the notary you used as well and to the agent.

B

bulbasaurus

Poa

Interesting I had a similar issue and resolved it by putting a tight time limit on when the POA would expire in case the deal feel through ( it did not ) worth bearing in mind if you repeat the process!

K

KayJay

It would be interesting to get some feedback from Whiterose as to how it all went.

One thing which many people don't realize (read "pay no attention to" :stupid:) is that many POAs contain standard clauses, one of which is that the person authorised by the POA can in turn authorise a third party with all of the powers granted to them. This is to ensure that there is someone authorised to act in the absence/incapacity of the original grantee but revoking the original POA does not revoke any subsequent POAs made under such a clause unless the original or subsequent POA(s) stipulate that this is the case. Even if they do stipulate this, it isn't easy to be sure how many secondary POAs have been granted - and the secondary ones often contain a clause that the new grantee, in turn, can grant someone else a POA and so on ad infinitum........

It all goes to keep notaries, lawyers and judges busy and well-fed. :laugh:

B

bulgarian attorney

The procedure is simple.
Prepare a withdraw statement to that given previously resigned attorney, certified notary. Requirements of the law is to inform the authorized person for the withdrawal of the poa. The most reasonable is done with a receipt, which subsequently may object if necessary.
Hope this helps.