Online government planning permission updates

S

Sim_business

Hi,

I was wondering if the Brazilian government or any of the states in Brazil have a facility to check the progress of planning permission and / or status of building projects ie when started when expected to complete etc?

If anyone knows I would be grateful if they could forward me a link or any other relevant information.

Cheers.

J

JMBroad

There are several things you can check about developers and developments in Brasil online (such as any outstanding debts against the company, licenses, etc) but to do it you need a) to speak the language and b) it helps to have the originals whose veracity you want to check.

Normally the challenge lies in getting the developer of a development in Brasil to give you all those documents. Once you have the documents if you speak the language it's pretty easy to do an initial due diligence yourself to check whether they are valid licenses simply by doing online verifications however there are other, deeper checks which should be carried out in conjunction with a Brasilian lawyer.

Either way you'll need the originals from the developer before you can check them online. Normally it's a question of checking whether they are still within their validity dates as many of the documents required expire after 30 to 60 days.

So the answer is yes you can do a lot of checks online but no, you can't check up on a particular developer or development unless they know you are doing the checks or you have access to their old documentation.

S

Sim_business

Thanks JMBoard for your reply.

So, say I had access to these documents, where would I go then?

J

JMBroad

Different website for each license - do you know which license you are looking to update or do you want to check everything?

If you want to check everything as I don't do that anymore (been 8 months since I did the checks and even then I did them in tandem with an international law firm with an office in Brazil) so I'll need to look up my records.

This coming week I'm pressed for time with a lot of meetings but I can probably post something within a week or so.

Even if you do all these checks once again I can't stress how important it is that you speak to a lawyer who knows Brazilian real estate law to help you with your research.

C

Coqueiro

My expereince is that planning permission is issued by the local council of the area where the build is to take place.
Which means that at government level no one would have a clue what was going on. Ulness it was a project in a a proteteced area.

Frank_London

Frank_London

I do recommend you to hire an independent lawyer to check all the paperwork for you, including the planning permision updates.

It´s quite cheap and will give you and your project peace of mind.