New build or resale?

A

AkbukHolidays

I would certainly consider looking at resales for a couple of reasons. Because of the current economic situation you should be able to find some excellent deals and with a bit of strong haggling you may well be able to get even more money off the asking price. Secondly, developers and agents have been hit hard, the last thing you want is to buy a property that never gets finished!
Turkey has a long holiday season and a property in a holiday resort, I believe, can provide both a great investment and holiday home.

A

AkbukHolidays

hi tyler, if you send me a description / pic and your email address I'll advertise your apartment on my website.

A

applestone

Lysos is correct - other than Istanbul, Turkey is not realistically an all-year venue for rentals - Jan through April can be pretty rough, wet and cold. We rent properties in Bodrum and the market for owner apartments / villas is pretty choked with a realistic window of opportunity from just May through October. The main town resorts tend to suck up customers (Bodrum, Gumbet, Bitez) although we are making headway with our resort at Flamingo Country Club due in part to the range of facilities on offer. All we need is for that damn volcano to stop dumping ash!

The gist of my posting is to say that you need to be very careful about what you buy and even more importantly, where you buy. If you want all year income buy in Istanbul. It's a great holiday location (short stay) with flights to all major cities in the world. You also have the opportunity to rent to locals and its a great location if you just want a second home. if this is not what you want buy in a large coastal town or city e.g. Bodrum Town, Alanya etc.

Buying on a resort is great if you want it as a holiday home for friends and family but, for most resorts, a disaster if you want rock solid income. The competition is just too great for the most part (internal and external) and only a few resorts will have sufficient amenities to capture significant market share. I would suggest that unless you have a quality villa to rent in a prime location that your gross return would be no better than 5% on investment resulting in 2 - 3% net margin after costs. This means a lot of rentals to break even let alone make a profit!

Ultimately, the choice is the buyers but learn from the mistakes of others and think laterally. The only people really making money out of the Turkish property market are the developers and sales agents.