My House, My Life 'would be extended under Silva rule'

Cearainvest

Cearainvest

The Minha Casa, Minha Vida - My House, My Life - programme, which was introduced by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to help fund the construction of housing in the country, would be extended under one prospective ruler.

Marina Silva, Green Party candidate for the leadership, promised to continue with macroeconomic policies that have been successful under Lula if she wins the October election, according to Dow Jones Newswires.

In a meeting with reporters and investors in New York, she pledged to add to the My House, My Life scheme, while stating her support for the autonomy of the central bank.

Ms Silva served as environment minister under the current president for over five years and green issues are emphasised in her campaign, the news provider reported.

"What's happened over the last 16 years needs to be maintained," the information source quoted her as saying.

"We want environment and development as parts of the same equation...Brazil's greatest challenge now is complacency,"

Dow Jones Newswires noted that the candidate was found to have around 10 per cent support in a survey by Ibope polling institute released earlier in the month.

Dilma Rouseff, Ms Silva's rival for the leadership, also said she would continue the policies of the current president, who is backing her campaign, according to Reuters.

Last edited by a moderator: