Is cpf necessary?

R

Realclu1

Can anybody suggest a company to get a cpf and can you buy land without it?

debzor

debzor

You do not need a company to get you a CPF - it is very easy and cheap to do when in Brazil, and the agent you are buying through should help. (Avoid using the Consulate.)

You must have a CPF to buy any real estate here. To be absolutely precise, you do not need one to sign a contract, but you must have one to receive the escritura.

M

Marfisa Cacau

Every foreign citizen who is willing to own a property in Brazil shall obtain the CPF number.

You have three main options: (i) to grant a power of attorney to a Brazilian resident, who will be able to perform this work for you; (ii) to go personally to, among other entities, Correios, Caixa Economica or Banco do Brasil in Brazil, or (ii) to go personally to a Brazilian consulate abroad.

In the first case, the POA, if granted abroad, shall be notarized by a local public notary and than stamped by the nearest Brazilian consulate. If the POA is not written in Portuguese, than it shall be translated by a sworn translator in Brazil.

I hope I have been of some help to you.

P

ParaibaDouglas

Cpf

In Joao Pessoa you can get one in 10 minutes at the Ministerio da Fazenda. It used to take three days. You need your passport, and a local address. If you are buying property it can be the address, otherwise a friends will do. It is free. They ask for your parents names. That is it!

Is awesome. They do not send a card, you can get one by paying a small fee at the BOBrasil at any time.

I have done it many times so was not an aberration! Unfortunately I can not say if this is consistent in other states. -PD

J

JMBroad

Takes about 20 minutes to get one in Natal - although the number arrives 48 hours later and the actual card can take up to two weeks to arrive. Costs about R$ 5,00

As mentioned you don't need one to contractually buy a property but you will need one to put the title deeds into your name.

I

InvestinBrazil

It's very straightforward to obtain a CPF and if you are buying from abroad your lawyer/developer should be able to help you. It is usually a very quick and easy service. You do require one to be able to register monies in Brazil (as suggested already this is highly recommended) and you will need one if you wish to hold any title deeds.

B

Billyredbull

In order to get a CPF to buy property in Brazil you need to contact the Brazilian consulate in London, but it is all quite easy and once you have your CPF you can buy land or property in Brazil. There is another easier and cheaper way and that is to wait till you go to Brazil to view land or property and the real estate agent should be able to get your CPF while you are there but take your birth certificate and your marrage pappers if any and it should all be done free by the real estate agent. (after all you are buying from them) so it's the least they can do.
Hope this helps. Bill.

Z

ZambeziDave

Quick question (hopefully!) about the CPF. I have mine which I applied for from the UK Brazilian consulate - so initially only had the number I got off the Fazenda website (they sent a link to get it),i.e. nothing in writing. This has served me well, but someone said I could download a document which showed the details of the CPF and was useful for official purposes, which I now have. I read here about a "card" which I knew nothing about so is it absolutely necessary to have this? And can I get it from any branch of BdB?
Sorry not so quick, but I hope the response is quicker!
Thanks,
Dave.

debzor

debzor

Quick question (hopefully!) about the CPF. I have mine which I applied for from the UK Brazilian consulate - so initially only had the number I got off the Fazenda website (they sent a link to get it),i.e. nothing in writing. This has served me well, but someone said I could download a document which showed the details of the CPF and was useful for official purposes, which I now have. I read here about a "card" which I knew nothing about so is it absolutely necessary to have this? And can I get it from any branch of BdB?
Sorry not so quick, but I hope the response is quicker!
Thanks,
Dave.
A CPF card is a much easier way to carry your number - go to BdB, Caixa, Post Office, etc, give all your details again with your CPF number, ask for a CPF card "segunda via", and a new card to be sent to a Brazilian address of your choice. You will have to pay the fee of R$5.50 again, and it will take a couple of weeks or more to arrive

I think you can only do it this way once, though.

Z

ZambeziDave

A CPF card is a much easier way to carry your number - go to BdB, Caixa, Post Office, etc, give all your details again with your CPF number, ask for a CPF card "segunda via", and a new card to be sent to a Brazilian address of your choice. You will have to pay the fee of R$5.50 again, and it will take a couple of weeks or more to arrive

I think you can only do it this way once, though.
Many thanks, Debzor.
Would this way result in a completely new CPF number and would this affect anything I have already linked to the old number? Like my cell phone and, more importantly, my house purchase.
Regards,
Dave.

debzor

debzor

Many thanks, Debzor.
Would this way result in a completely new CPF number and would this affect anything I have already linked to the old number? Like my cell phone and, more importantly, my house purchase.
Regards,
Dave.
Hi Dave - no, you keep the same number, and everything associated with it, it is just a way to replace a "lost" card.