ad

I am 64 years old and my lender says I need to repay the mortgage - Am I too old?

• Thread starter The Mortgage Broker
  • Start date
The Mortgage Broker

The Mortgage Broker

Forum Partner
This is one of our "Ask the expert" topics based on a residential mortgage and the answer was as follows:

Thankfully the answer is now YES. In recent months we have had a few more lenders changing their lending criteria to allow the older borrowers the availability to borrow into their retirement, with some lenders offering 25 year mortgage deals even at the age of 64.

Of course, the lender’s criteria would need to be met which would mainly be the reliance on your income into retirement to support the mortgage – this income could be from a variety of sources including private and state pension, rental income and earned income if available. A clean credit history would also be a requirement.

The rates are still very competitive and you are not penalised for borrowing later in life. Lenders offer a variety of rates including short and long term fixed rates; they may even consider an interest only mortgage again although this really does limit the choice of lender that we can approach.

In summary, age is no longer a barrier to obtaining or extending your mortgage deal. If you find yourself in a position where you are being forced to repay an existing mortgage deal or are looking to move then options are available to you.

The Mortgage Broker Ltd – Passionately delivering highly respected mortgage advice throughout the UK.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I would assume the market for the more mature mortgage holder is growing?

N

nmb

Personally I think we are moving towards an era where there will be no set retirement date (or even indicative retirement age) as governments look to mature people to earn more money to reduce the liability of the state. The benefits system is stretched to the limit and it is inevitable that the state pension will one day be means tested. All wrong but inevitable in my book.