How long do I have to file taxes in the US after leaving?

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Hey Guys,
After having spent 5 years in the US as a resident alien (under various visas),I left the US in sep-2004 to settle back in Belgium, my home country.

I have filed US taxes last year, in April 2005, for income of the year 2004, which included:
- a federal form 1040 with schedule 2 (interest income),schedule E (I had a business which closed when I left),form 1116 (foreign tax credit),form 4797 (sale of business property),form 8812 (child tax credit)
- a California tax return 540NR

I have had no income in the US in the year 2005, except for:
- a federal tax refund (following my April 2005 return)
- a California state tax refund (following my April 2005 return)

I have been trying to understand how long I have to keep filing tax return in the US, and I'm getting completely confused:
- do I still have to file taxes this year, and next year?
- if yes, what forms, and what should I include on those forms ?
- Forms 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 1040-C, 2063 .... Help ???

There must be other people who have been in a similar situation. Can anyone help ?
Good luck


New Member
Hey Chandler,
I am not a tax accountant, just a US citizen who now lives overseas. But it seems to me like you don't have to file. Here is the info from my 2005 tax form and instruction package.

" Do you have to file? Use Chart A (most people),B (dependents - children),C (others)"

These charts show what income level you must earn in order to be required to file. For people under 65 years - Single is $8200, married filing jointly is $16,400 and head of household is $10,500. Depending on how much you got back, the only worry you might have is if your status is married filing separately - $3200 is the cutoff.

In any case, now that I think about it, I don't think that tax refunds are income. This is actually income you reported already for 2004. You overpaid your taxes, so you got money back from the government but it isn't income for 2005. They would be taxing you twice in that case!
Warm Regards
Not open for further replies.