ad

Has the UK ever really been a major part of the European Union?

R

realdeals

The doom and gloom scenarios peddled by experts suggest that the UK property market could at some point go into freefall. This despite the fact these stories have been published and regurgitated since the referendum in 2016. The fact is that the UK has never been an integral part of the European Union, let’s face it the UK didn’t even adopt the euro. Yes, there may be a short to medium term hit on trade and economic performance. However, immigration will not fall off the edge of a cliff and the UK buy to let market will still remain relatively strong.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
The UK has always been a thorn in the side of the EU:-

- We retained our veto
- We retained our rebate
- We refused to adopt the Euro

So, the relationship between the UK and the EU has always been rocky. I dont think the UK has ever bought into the EU federalist dream.

F

FWL

Those who know their history about the European Union (formerly the Common Market) may be aware that back in the 1970s the UK was initially rebuked when it tried to join the then Common Market. The U.K.'s relationship with the European Union has been fragile to say the least for many years now. Maybe a parting of the ways could benefit both parties? They could then look at a trading relationship from a distance?

P

PostBrexitInvestor

In some ways a parting of the ways might be the best thing for the EU and the UK. The UK electorate was never going to accept the euro in place of sterling and this was always going to be a stumbling block. So, why did the EU allow the UK to remain? Simple, the massive EU funding which came from the UK. They will certainly miss that!

J

Jason D.

Since June 23, 2016, when 52% of British voters backed withdrawing from the European Union, the “Brexit” debate has been tearing British politics apart.
Although the Brexit referendum was non-binding, then-Prime Minister David Cameron’s government, expecting a vote in favor of “Remain,” had promised to honor the result. Britain, late to join the EU, will be the first member state to leave it, with the exit date set for March 2019.

L

lookinginvest

I am not sure Brexit will go through - the politicians appear intent on going against the will of the people which is shocking. However, you are right, the arrogant politicians always thought the UK electorate would vote to remain :)

R

realdeals

I didnt have a little smirk to myself when I saw the Eurovision song contest was on tonight. The UK is expected to come last because of Brexit. I think that answers the question :)

F

FWL

The relationship between the rest of the EU and the UK has always been rocky - like bad tenants in the same house. Now one has decided to move out :)