ad

Flood Risk Assessment

V

vidura vithana

Flood risk is a crucial issue for the property developers. The climate change is likely to increase the severity and frequency of flooding. Therefore, it is important for the property developers to consider investment in low risk flood areas. A flood risk assessment carried out by professional engineers will not only advice the developers on the level of flood risk exposure over the life time of the development, but also propose mitigation measures to reduce the risk.

Estimates suggest that in England and Wales over £220 billion worth of property is potentially at risk of flooding, from rivers, groundwater, sewers and coastal excesses. The coastal zone is occupied by 10 million people (within 10km of the coast),
accounts for 40% of manufacturing industry, 40% of tourism expenditure and contains a concentration of energy installations.
Flood-risk maps first published by the Environment Agency in 2004, show 2.2 million UK properties at risk of flooding. However there are significant gaps in the information, which is admitted not to be completely accurate and there is confusion
as to how the risk classification is interpreted (https://www.ucem.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/flooding.pdf)

A flood risk assessment will assess the risk of flooding of a property from all sources of flooding and propose mitigation measures to reduce the risks. Coastal flooding can occur from the sea as tide, storm surge and wave overtopping. Swollen rivers, groundwater, surface water and infrastructure failure can cause flooding of normally dry land. In rare events, flood defences can be breached or overtopped causing flooding of the property behind (moderated. looks like touting for business)

Last edited by a moderator:
KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
I've lived in a property that was at risk of flooding (set back quite a long way from a river so i was quite surprised it was considered at such a high risk). It actually meant that i couldn't get building contents insurance - not something i was aware of until i'd moved in!

Do you have investment properties yourself which are at risk?

N

nmb

It looks as though flood risk assessments will become an integral part of research into a proposed property purchase. There are constant accusations targeted at the government that money put aside for flood defences has been “refocused” elsewhere leaving many properties and property owners exposed.