Flights

S

samui13

Yes I too read credit cards were covered but that also visa (debit) cards were covered, sorry my post looked like I meant credit cards were not insured but I was just referring to the debit bit to make it stand out and to ensure that people didnt think I meant just visa credit cards. Basically I think if you have visa on your card be it debit or credit you shoudl be ok.

Good luck

Georgina

Georgina

Distant Dreamer (Penny and Rob) arrived with XL last night. We spent hours this morning trying to book a return flight. Egypt Air wanted 1500GBP one way from HRG to Cairo to London. They eventually booked Transavia HRG to Amsterdam and Easy Jet Amsterdam to London Gatwick. Good price but arrive Amsterdam 01.30 hours and a wait till 8am for Easy Jet connection.

C

CMChris

I've just flown in to and out of Schiphol airport. BE WARNED they will confiscate any duty frees over 100ml bottles if you buy them from outside EU countries even if they come in a Duty free sealed bag. They take no prisoners.

C

clairedh

debit/credit cards

Yes I too read credit cards were covered but that also visa (debit) cards were covered, sorry my post looked like I meant credit cards were not insured but I was just referring to the debit bit to make it stand out and to ensure that people didnt think I meant just visa credit cards. Basically I think if you have visa on your card be it debit or credit you shoudl be ok.

Good luck
Hi, I work for a bank and we were notified of procedure today for people claiming, basically if you paid with a visa or mastercard CREDIT card then you should contact your credit card provider. who will ask if you have 'airline failure insurance' if so you will be directed to your insurance company to make a claim. if you do not have this then a dispute case will be set up with visa or mastercard and a disclaimer will be sent out to you for you to complete and return together with a copy of your original tickets

If you paid with a DEBIT card then you should contact your bank's debit card services, and debit card services will set up a dispute case with visa and again a dispute form will be sent out.

There are no guarantees that monies will be refunded but this should be your starting point.

Hope this helps anyone

L

lizzy2u

flights and our investments

With xl going bust thats over 600 seats per week gone the onther airlines have now put up prices and i can not find any flights from manchester for 275/300 till nov/jan a bit cheaper from gatwick but its a bit to far.so what impact will this have as for one i can not afford to pay that sort of money

D

danny

Flights and Investment

With xl going bust thats over 600 seats per week gone the onther airlines have now put up prices and i can not find any flights from manchester for 275/300 till nov/jan a bit cheaper from gatwick but its a bit to far.so what impact will this have as for one i can not afford to pay that sort of money

Try flying from Brussels you can fly from Manchester to Brussels from as little as £27 return and from Brussels to Hurghada from as little as £145 return. Flights go from Brussels 3 times a week. Search for flights to Brussels and then skyscanner.

Last edited:
T

thompsonsom

i think anyone who had planned on going on holiday and waiting for last minute flights is going to struggle for a while at least. We luckily booked out 2 weeks in hurghada for the end of september on thursday evening with fly thomas cook flights, the were £342 each which i thought was quite high but they didnt seem to be coming down any. I am so glad now that i booked as when i looked yesterday they had jumped up by £200 each, obviously the flight operators are cashing in whilst they can!

janice

L

Leo en Manon

i think anyone who had planned on going on holiday and waiting for last minute flights is going to struggle for a while at least. We luckily booked out 2 weeks in hurghada for the end of september on thursday evening with fly thomas cook flights, the were £342 each which i thought was quite high but they didnt seem to be coming down any. I am so glad now that i booked as when i looked yesterday they had jumped up by £200 each, obviously the flight operators are cashing in whilst they can!

janice

Hello Janice..

good for you!! We will have to wait for december :-(

could you take lots and lots of photo's :) and are you willing to share them?

have a nive holiday!

Leo and Manon

queenie40something

queenie40something

I am glad I booked mine when I did. The ones in 3 weeks time I paid £100 each for back in Jan and are now nearly £400 each and the Xmas ones I paid £180 each are now nearly £500 each!

T

thompsonsom

Hello Janice..

good for you!! We will have to wait for december :-(

could you take lots and lots of photo's :) and are you willing to share them?

have a nive holiday!

Leo and Manon
hi leo & manon

of course i am going to take lots of photos and will be happy to share them, maybe even be able to video it as well. I have quite a portfolio of progress photos in my facebook for all my friends to see, they are probably bored to death with updates but am sure will be wanting to rent when its finished.

janice

S

samui13

XL flights to sharm el sheikh

Just seen on the news that there is a loop hole for anyone booked on XL to sharm and back. Apparently effectively Sharm has to have charter flights so printed at the bottom of the flight receipt should say it was booked through a charter and gives an atol number (I think this is only for sharm (possibly egypt but they only mentioned sharm) and they said your paper is not worthless and you can claim back through atol (this was on BBC breakfast news). The guy on there referred to Freedom Flights with an atol number but not sure if it will be this company for all tickets.

If you got on the atol website you can download a claim form for the particular company involved.

Its worth a shot. They also said that Easyjet and Virgin are the only airlines not profiteering from this. Easyjet have offered anyone stuck that can prove they are stuck through excel going bust will be offered a flight from sharm for £75 and virgin are doing to the same for people from Florida for £200 so there are some good people out there!!

Good luck

T

thompsonsom

hi

it is nice to know that some airlines are willing to rescue stranded passengers without trying to rip them off.

janice

queenie40something

queenie40something

If Easyjet are offering flights for £75 from Sharm it might be an idea for any of those stuck in Hurghada to see if they will sell them a £75 flight from Sharm and make their own way to Sharm. Could be a lot cheaper than other options and at least you could get directly back to UK even if Gatwick is a way from where you live.

L

Leila

If Easyjet are offering flights for £75 from Sharm it might be an idea for any of those stuck in Hurghada to see if they will sell them a £75 flight from Sharm and make their own way to Sharm. Could be a lot cheaper than other options and at least you could get directly back to UK even if Gatwick is a way from where you live.
Egyptair are very good, takes 20mins from Hurghada to Sharm. Only £26 when I travelled in August. :cool: However flights are not every day and I had to wait 10 hours in the airport for my connection! :eek: there's a nice cafe, not too expensive and I had a good book to read! Can't go in to the departure area until 3 hours before your flight, shops are pretty rubbish, not like in Hurghada.

A

anokayperson

Banned
I am absolutely furious!!!! I have just been on a site that I usually use and the flight prices to hurghada for the summer hols - July / august are over £810+ ++++. what on earth are companies thinking of - no one will pay those prices. I think the max I have paid is around £500.
Some of the ideas on here have been good - like flying from Brussels. what about other european countries - or - as leila said - sharm to hurghada. Are these daily flights leila from sharm to hurghada? still angry!!!!

A

ACP

Egyptair are very good, takes 20mins from Hurghada to Sharm. Only £26 when I travelled in August.

What is the problem? There is a ferry between Hurghada and Sharm,
so it is quite easy to travel from one place to another. And is probably
cheaper than a flight.

By the way - I still did not get any help with reference to my question.
Do you know any place in Hurghada (or Egypt in general) where it is possible to buy a ticket from Easyjet, TUIfly, Thomsonfly? Online reservation is obvious, but I mean the "traditional" method of booking. Thank you for any hint.
Are you able to help? ;)

D

danny

Egyptair are very good, takes 20mins from Hurghada to Sharm. Only £26 when I travelled in August.

What is the problem? There is a ferry between Hurghada and Sharm,
so it is quite easy to travel from one place to another. And is probably
cheaper than a flight.

I passed the ferry terminal in Hurghada last week and there were hundreds of locals waiting to get on with everything from kitchen sinks, beds mattresses, goats, chickens and everything in between(maybe exagerating about the livestock) but from what I could see it would not be a pleasurable journey unless anyone out there knows differently.

The only place I know to get tickets and pay by cash or debit card are the Blue sky offices opposite the Esplanade underneath the Sindbad Aqua hotel. The last time I got a ticket from Thomas Cook there it was a standard £195 one way but you can only book within 10 days of departure.

D

danny

I am absolutely furious!!!! I have just been on a site that I usually use and the flight prices to hurghada for the summer hols - July / august are over £810+ ++++. what on earth are companies thinking of - no one will pay those prices. I think the max I have paid is around £500.
Some of the ideas on here have been good - like flying from Brussels. what about other european countries - or - as leila said - sharm to hurghada. Are these daily flights leila from sharm to hurghada? still angry!!!!
Instead of getting angry why don't you go to the OFT and complain, the major airline to Hurghada has put its prices up by £70-£200 since XL have gone into administration and the oil prices have dropped to $100 a barrel, they are deliberately overcharging for their service because we have no alternative at the moment than to use them for direct flights.

My wife has emailed the OFT with a concern about this company and I suggest if enough people email the OFT also someone make take notice and do something about it.

Last edited:
queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi last time I looked the prices were about the same for the ferry or flying. The ferries can also we cancelled due to the sea conditions which they quite often are.