ad

Employment status of workers

J

JoyH

Hi,

New to this forum so hope this is the best place to ask.

1) We have a UK Ltd company and have acquired a plot on which we will be building 2 houses using "contractors".
However, when requesting insurance quotes, we are asked if we want to cover employees tools on site.
As a new developer I assumed that we would NOT be "employing" people (i.e. doing their PAYE),but giving work to self-employed sub-contractors (or firms of builders who employ their own people). Can anyone clarify employment status please?

2) I had assumed that anyone working on our site would insure their own tools. Is this unreasonable?

3) I have seen Towergate recommended as a suitable insurance company.... any other recommendations please?

Thanks, Joy

N

nmb

I would also be very interested to hear about this particular situation as it does look complicated. My understanding is that even though you use contractors to build the two houses you will still need some kind of employer insurance to cover yourself in the event of accidents on site. As far as insuring tools, etc I would assume that the onus would be on the contractor?

Towergate is a company which has been mentioned on numerous occasions with regards to insurance cover when developing/building properties.

D

diyhelp

You need to insure your premises/working environment from accidents but the contractors will also need their own relevant insurance in place.

N

NicolaQeen

Indeed, insurance of your premises under construction, employees, as well as the tools used is really needed. Often people neglect it, which I personally think is quite a big mistake. But do not forget that your contractors should also take up such insurance. Although I'm new to the construction business, I know about it for sure. In addition, I would like to ask you about the criteria by which you select employees for your company? I recently found out about a skill test https://www.makipeople.com/. Do you use something similar?

P

Paulino

You need to insure your working environment from accidents