Easiest way to get a CPF from abroad

G

globetrotter27

Can anyone tell me which is the easiest way to get a CPF without going in person to Brasil? thanks

J

JMBroad

Not 100% sure of the exact process but it goes a little bit like this:

You need to draw up a Power of Attorney in favour of someone in Brazil (the POA can be limited to the specific purpose of requesting a CPF card on your behalf) - you then need to get that POA recognised by the Brazilian embassy in your country and your signature recognised and authenticated. Then the authenticated POA has to be sent by snail mail to the person in Brazil.

Once it is received the person uses it to request the POA on your behalf as if you were here doing it yourself.

The downside is that to do all that it's sometimes easier, faster and cheaper to just come to Brazil and do it yourself, considering it takes about 20 minutes to do once you are here in Brazil if you have someone local helping you.

That's assuming you are paying someone to prepare the POA for you, that you need to travel to get to the embassy to get it authenticated and that you need to pay whoever is doing it here in Brazil to get it done for you.

debzor

debzor

If you mean applying outside Brazil to the Brazilian Consulate in a foreign country - this is possible but extremely slow, can be expensive and a real pain. So forget it.

Much easier is to do it here - it just costs R$5.50, plus a trip to Receita Federal with a bit of queueing (within the next 24 hours - 3 months period),and your number will be immediately available with the card send to your designated Brazilian address 3-4 weeks later.

The only reason this may be difficult is of you want to buy without visiting. Then give a legalised POA to a person here (must be the original, usually (but not always) legalised by the Brazilian Consulate. This needs to be officially translated here in Brazil, and away you go. (You will also need to supply certain other information and copies of your passport as well).

But much, much easier is do it when you are here!

Z

ZambeziDave

Waiting for CPF

I applied at the Brazilian Consulate in London on September 3rd and was told that it should take 8 weeks and I could track the progress online. According to the website my application has still not arrived in Brazil - I think someone ate the snail!
More frustrating is that the consular website also has a link where you can contact the Receita to enquire about it - but it simply opens a blank page!
As I leave the UK in a little over two weeks it will be interesting to see what to do next!
David.

J

JMBroad

If you are leaving in two weeks to come here just do it when you get here - as Debzor says it takes no time at all and costs about R$ 5,50 -

The timelines obviously vary though as Debzor says the number is available immediately and the card two to three weeks later - here in Natal we get the number about 48 hours later and the card 2 to 3 weeks after that.

The only hitch is that you need a Brazilian address where the card can be sent to and it helps to have someone local who can take you there if you don't speak the language.

Z

ZambeziDave

Thanks JM, but I thought that you could not apply more than once? I should not have a problem with a Brazilian address (looking to buy when I get there),e tambem falo Portugues bastante bem. Vivei em Angola e Mozambique!
Muito obrigado,
David.

J

JMBroad

Muito Bem!

If you still can, cancel your UK request before you leave - it's so easy and cheap to do it here in person!

B

Billyredbull

Can anyone tell me which is the easiest way to get a CPF without going in person to Brasil? thanks
The Brazilian consulate in London just log in to their website and you will find all you need to know.

Hope this helps Bill

Z

ZambeziDave

I eventually got mine through the consular route, but it only arrived two weeks after I came to Brazil, which was 12 weeks after I applied (they say ittakes 8!). Interestingly though when I finally (long story concerning missing documents!) applied for a volunteer visa they also said it would take 8-10 weeks as the paperwork had to be sent to Brazil, but it came through in just 3.
Regards,
Dave.