Dongles

C

CMChris

Please dont get too techy but which is the best dongle to get for the occasional use for when we 'visit'? I know we're supposed to have wireless but I reckon that will be charged quite high and Maccy Ds is quite a way from me. I just need something to keep in touch with back home and not going to be d/loading music or films.

Thanks

Christine

T

thompsonsom

Please dont get too techy but which is the best dongle to get for the occasional use for when we 'visit'? I know we're supposed to have wireless but I reckon that will be charged quite high and Maccy Ds is quite a way from me. I just need something to keep in touch with back home and not going to be d/loading music or films.

Thanks

Christine
You can buy a pay as you go dongle from etisalat, not sure of the initial outlay for the dongle but you can then buy top up for around 100le which our friends did when they were out here and they still have loads of credit left on it after using it for 2 weeks.

D

danny

Thanks

Christine
Depending on where you are situated it may well be worth leaving your laptop at home and using a local internet cafe or Hotel internet cafe if it's just for occasional use.

Hotels will charge around 5le (50p) for 15 minutes and local internet cafes around 2le(20p) for 30 minutes.

J

johnwayne

Banned
You can buy a pay as you go dongle from etisalat, not sure of the initial outlay for the dongle but you can then buy top up for around 100le which our friends did when they were out here and they still have loads of credit left on it after using it for 2 weeks.

redsea4all.com
hi - when you say 'top up' - is this with a phone top up card?? thanks

T

tstbubbles

Thanks for the replies. I've now found this site which tells you about dongles. Etisalat
Hi Chris, I just got back from 2 weeks in Sahl and purchased a dongle for exactly that purpose.

I bought it from Vodaphone on Sekala for 199LE and then threw 200LE in credit. Been using it for 2 weeks and still have loads of credit on it.

I thought the Satelite TV and internet were free on our site? When did they mention a fee? They keep telling me the TV is coming next week but I dont believe a word of it. We installed our own Sat Dish this time arund and now have 450+ tv channels and I bet they dont install it anytime soon.

Sarah

R

rashidi

You could also purchase an unlocked dongle from the home country, and then use any provider out there in Egypt.

I was using Vodafone's service, and it was pretty damn fast for general browsing and emailing.

Vodafone have an offer within egypt:
(cannot post links as I'm new) google vodafone egypt and there's a link to go to English site.

So do Etisalat, but I've not used their internet so unable to comment on speeds, reliability, et.c:
( cannot post links as I'm new) same as above... google it.

So, it may be a good option to get an unlocked 3G USB Dongle off Ebay and then u can try all the options and find which works best for you :)

Hope this helps