ad

Do I have the right to enter with 24 hours notice even if the tenants refuse?

S

steveburns

Hi all

Not sure there's much I can do it about this issue but thought I would ask. I have a large house I refurbished to a really nice standard and let out to a group of 4 students for 6 months. I went to see the house as they are leaving soon and was shocked with the amount of damage they had done. The first floor shower had been blocked with hair but they did not let anyone know and let the place flood causing a leak and severe damage to the ceiling of the bathroom directly below. The ceiling and whole bathroom above will need to be replaced, as well as the ceiling of one of the adjacent bedrooms below also affected by the leak. The floor of the property was all new before they rented it however it now looks disgusting, as if it is over 20 years old. They were initially reluctant to let me in but eventually did (i did give them notice) and realised they were smoking week just before I arrived.

Basically, I need to get into the property again before they leave to organize quotes for repairs asap and to unblock the shower. However they don't answer the door to anyone so I need to be their when the contractor arrives. Can they completely refuse to let me in or do I have the right to do so when I give 24 hours notice?

D

Dora Wi

Hi! This sounds like a tough situation to be in, I'm sorry. Can you refer back to the contract you have signed with your tenants? I'm not sure about the exact legal ramifications but I think, since you are the property owner and you have done your due diligence notifying them, it should be okay for you to enter the house.

M

MechJony

Wow, that's the situation. I am very sorry for you that this happened to you. But it seems to me that you should pay attention to the appearance and behavior of those people to whom you are going to rent your house. This already says a lot. Considering that you have a contract, they are probably obliged to let you in if you have notified them about it. However, do not forget that there are different legal aspects of this issue. By the way, in order to save on restoring, for example, the same bathroom, I can advise you to purchase a shower system using houseofenki.com .