Construction is expected to grow 25% this year in Maranhão in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cearainvest

Cearainvest

São Luiz - After the international crisis of 2008 which directly hit the construction sector in Maranhão and Brazil, it should close this year with a growth of up to 25% compared with 2009. The information is the president of the Association of Construction Industries (Sinduscon),João Alberto Mota.

The chairman of Sinduscon this year could be regarded as the best in the industry. "It was the best [years] of construction. Nationally, the sector grew more than the Gross Domestic Product [GDP], which should grow from 7.5% to 8%. Maranhão is above average because the Northeast is above average. Just to give you an idea, the Northeast, construction, grew by over 30%. Maranhão also grew up with this trend, only lost to Bahia, "said Mota.

In Maranhao, specifically, 70% of this growth were due to the large-scale construction of affordable housing for the middle class and lower middle in a process of reducing unmet demand seen in the state. Nevertheless, Maranhao still has a housing deficit of approximately 490 000 households. Still, the Sinduscon stressed that there was also an increase in the amount of homes of middle and high standard marketed in recent years.

The chairman of Sinduscon, the prospect of continuing the project "My House, My Life" and the continuity of the administration at the state and federal governments provide security for the sector to continue with significant growth over the next two years. "Only the 'My Home, My Life', the perspective is that two million people are benefiting in the next three years in Brazil. The election of Governor Roseanna Sarney and Rousseff give some security to the construction industry because that has already begun, will continue, "he said.

The expectations for the industry in 2011 is that the construction also increases in Maranhao, in the double digits at levels close to 20% now. "There's synergy policy for our state between the state and federal governments and I believe that in 2011, through the maintenance of governments, are kept to the levels of 2010," he said. "The implementation of other projects, like the refinery, in our case, too much will encourage the growth of the sector. The expectation for 2012 is that we will grow even more. I would say there is a prospect of growth in all scenarios and tracks the home-building [low, medium and upper class], "he added Mota Filho.

Sanitation - Another possibility considered interesting for the sector, which should boost growth in coming years, is linked to investment, increasing in basic sanitation projects throughout Brazil. Maranhão, for example, according to data from the National Sanitation 2008, published this year, has the sewage disposal system in only 6.5% of the municipalities. The index is not only worse than in Piaui. "The president is going to implement another project for the construction, it will be interesting to sanitation. This is of extreme importance to our industry and also for health. So is one more item in construction that will maintain stability, "estimated John Alberto Mota.

Despite this upward trend in the industry, the president of Sinduscon stressed that the above growth in GDP has a term of three to five years to stabilize. From there, the challenge for the industry is trying to keep a full pace of growth in subsequent years. Mota contends that, for this we need a "synergy" between increasing government and private enterprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.