Comp Sales in Brazil

D

dafunk

Hello,

I'm an American living in Brazil and am looking to buy a property in Buzios. Does anyone know where to find "comp sales" data? That is, data on houses that have sold in the recent past as a way to gauge whether the house you're buying is fairly priced. This is a standard part of the property buying process in the US and UK, but when I've asked realtors here for that info, they seem less than forthcoming. They only want to show the asking price of houses, which of course is inflated.

I realize that Brazil is not the US and there are many differences, just curious if anyone has gotten access to this data or a reasonable proxy for it.

Thanks a lot for any leads.

Matt

debzor

debzor

Hello,

I'm an American living in Brazil and am looking to buy a property in Buzios. Does anyone know where to find "comp sales" data? That is, data on houses that have sold in the recent past as a way to gauge whether the house you're buying is fairly priced. This is a standard part of the property buying process in the US and UK, but when I've asked realtors here for that info, they seem less than forthcoming. They only want to show the asking price of houses, which of course is inflated.

I realize that Brazil is not the US and there are many differences, just curious if anyone has gotten access to this data or a reasonable proxy for it.

Thanks a lot for any leads.

Matt
Hi Matt

Sorry, no MLS (or similar here)!

Technically, the escritura publica held at the notary office for every property in a given area is a public document, however even this may not give the 'price paid'. The only way in my experience is to walk your patch, know your market and make your own research.

G

growler

I would be very surprised if this information is collated and available, very surprised.

I would look on the internet at what properties are available in Buzios and compare what is on offer ie size, location etc against something you like and then if possible, have a local you trust enquire as to the price. If you like what you hear, go and take a look.

It can be very difficult for a foreigner to buy for a fair price as you probably already know, by way of an example, a few months ago I looked at a property with a local agent who said the Father (the owner) was looking for about R$200 - 250,000 although his son said nearer
R$300,000. After we had viewed the property we eventually heard back from the agent who said the owner (probably the son in reality) now wanted R$500,000....needless to say, we didn't make an offer on it.

I have always been a great believer in the adage "a property is only worth what you or someone else is willing to pay for it."