Canadian moving to Costa

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andre

Hey everyone,
I am moving to Costa Rica in fall 2006. I am married and have two children, both my husband and I are tattooists and I am also a fashion photographer. I am hoping to qualify my visa through applying as a tourist business investor. We want to target tourists and therefore need to find property in such a location. Do you know what cities or towns are most populated with tourists?

Do you have any idea how a tattoo business would be received by the people in Costa Rica? Do you want a tattoo, (sorry just had to throw that in there;) Well we could really use the help and the advice and if you have any to share it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

A

austin

Hello Andre,
Tattoos are very popular in Costa Rica. An artist in the major tourist areas will probably make a fortune, so don't hesitate to get down here ASAP!

The top tourist destinations are: Manuel Antonio (Quepos),Jac?, Tamarindo, Lake Arenal and the famous Volcano, and Monteverde. The most tourists pass through San Jos?, but it is not a place tourists hang out for very long. However it is the most dominant location for any business, if you would like to cater to locals too. There are many tattoo parlors downtown, near the University and in the major upscale commercial districts.

You will need to locate a good immigration lawyer. Tattooing tourists doesn't necessarily qualify you as a tourism investor in my opinion, but having a good lawyer could definitely prove me wrong. You may find that another category would suit you better. IF you could classify tattooing tourists as a non-traditional export, you'd really be set!

When you decide what area suits you best, your realtor can help you find a good lawyer that they trust. Have a look at the country guide and post more questions on the Costa Rica forum as they occur to you.

Hint: The first step for anyone who has gotten serious about moving to Costa Rica is determining what area suits them the best. So that is your first priority, as opposed to beginning to house hunt or learn Spanish.
Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.