Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Can I sell this house?

Discussion in 'Buying Overseas Property' started by benjamin, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. benjamin

    benjamin New Member

    Hello Friends,
    I divorced in 1999 and although our paperwork stated a 65/45 split on the house when it was sold, my ex gave me the house in court. The judge crossed out original wording and wrote the house was awarded to me "free and clear of any claims" by him and that he was to sign a quit-claim deed. The home was never refinanced as I didn't have the income and/or the credit and a quit claim was never done. Am now remarried, home is up for sale and he won't sign a quit claim. Says he may get something out of the sale of the home. Is this true? Can I have him removed from the title with a copy of my divorce decree? What if he continues to refuse signing, what recourse do I have if any?
    Thanks in advance for any advice I may receive.
  2. jacab

    jacab New Member

    Hi Benjamin,
    In case anyone ever runs into this type of problem, here is what I did. Called the county recorders office and explained what my divorce decree stated and that the ex wouldn't sign the quit claim. Was told to bring in a certified copy of the decree which I did. The examiner had to order my file from family court and review. 2 days later I was called and told I could pick up the copy and transfer title as the examiner had stamped it stating that the decree would act as a quit claim. My property is torrents so maybe that made a difference in the timing and assumption that was made but the document can be used.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page