buying a house overseas with cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

expatriotic

I currently live in the US but thinking about buying a house overseas, in Europe.
I'm not interested in getting a mortgage so I would like to use cash, but not spending mor ethan 80K.
I am aware of the laws regarding crossing the borders with cash.
But what are the solutions?
I know I can transfer the money to a overseas bank account, but the fees from the European banks are very high. In some countries they change you fees when you withdraw money.
Thanks

A

advoco

I have transferred money from the Uk to Spain many times and have not had to pay a lot of charges. There is some bureaucracy for large amounts (basically having to declare what the tfr is for) but other than that it should be OK. There is no fee for withdrawing money in cash but a small (maybe .025%) charge for bank transfers.

R

rowlandsbb

If you are a cash buyer just now you are in a very nice position even with only 80k to spend but do not leave it too long as there are signs that the EU recession is at or near the bottom and that can only mean a start in the improvement of the property market
You will not get a mansion for 80k but something nice

El Gouna Property

El Gouna Property

Banned
I currently live in the US but thinking about buying a house overseas, in Europe.
I'm not interested in getting a mortgage so I would like to use cash, but not spending mor ethan 80K.
I am aware of the laws regarding crossing the borders with cash.
But what are the solutions?
I know I can transfer the money to a overseas bank account, but the fees from the European banks are very high. In some countries they change you fees when you withdraw money.
Thanks
Have you ever Been to EL Gouna, Red Sea, Egypt? may be you drop us a visit and you will love the coutntry specially El Gouna as its guranteed investmenet where if you let your property will be most of the year and property value going up

D

DC

Hi,

If you have 80k, what are you looking to buy?
Holiday, retirement, investment?
And for what reason.

All countries have charges, if you use commercial FX they will transfer your money with no costs, they make their money on the spreads, so dont concern yourself with this.

The big question is what you are going to buy? and why. and where! you have to choose a country!

Status
Not open for further replies.