Furniture in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simonjwatts1

re qvc

:Dmy missis buys from there all the time and when she is not i am lol i have 3 achos and other electric gizmos, typicle bloke if it has lights i want it lol

no - I don't work for them - wish I did and could hopefully get discount or freebies!!! It can be very addictive though - and have had to stop - but can't resist a bargain!!!

Georgina

Georgina

a small steamer hoover for tiles/laminates etc
I recently had my marble floor professionally cleaned and polished by a company in El Gouna called Shining Stones who get all their equipment from Germany. They did the bedroom, lounge, bathroom and kitchen for 70 pounds sterling and it took six hours. They then recommended not washing the floor but using the anti-static cloths that fix to the flap mops.

My floor is a bit unique but when the original owner had it put down they ran out of marble so some of the stones are different and started to damage his machine so he couldn't get the high shine that comes on the usual marble tiles. Some people have used this company before they move into their homes to get the high quality finish. I guess the floor is very slippery though once you have this high shine.

Attachments

Last edited:
queenie40something

queenie40something

Thanks for the tips all. I have emailed a company in Egypt that do post construction cleans because the tiles look really dirty at the moment.

The steamer is a good idea. Some of these gadjets might me small but still have the power to do the job. Instead of a loo brush I was going to get some of those ( toilet duck I think ) that you clean the loo then flush away but dont know if this would be possible?? Dont want the loo getting blocked when Im not there but I didnt want the thought of a smelly loo brush being sat in its bowl for 3 months at a time. Any other ideas?

Georgina

Georgina

Dont want the loo getting blocked when Im not there
Not sure about the new builds in Egypt but typically the pipes are not designed to take paper down the toilet. The Egyptian way is to use the small hose next to the toilet to clean yourself and use the paper to dry and put in a bin. I am sure the hotels have European size pipes but I know some bars get their toilets blocked and have signs up everywhere saying no paper down the toilet.

Now this had to be explained to me when I bought my apartment :) as I had wondered what the small hose was for :rolleyes: So I then had to set off for Cairo and armed with this new information experimented in Carrefour toilets. With disastrous effects! My aim was not accurate and had to do all my shopping with soaking wet trousers :eek:

I was then in Zamalek in a public toilet with the usual lady sitting right outside the cubicle awaiting her baksheesh. But I was puzzled because there was no shower hose. Upon close inspection I found a tap at the side of the bowl (picture the scene with me bending with my head close to the bowl) I turned the tap and the hidden jet sent water straight towards my face which I avoided by jumping out the way so the jet continued right over the door and I guess gave the lady awaiting her baksheesh a bit of a shock! PMSL almost :eek: It was about ten minutes before I could compose myself and leave the cubicle. :D

L

Lsab

So descriptive G, and I'm still laughing!!! In fact the little hose isn't because of the small pipes but muslims have to wash that delicate area ;) after going to the loo. I've never been in a loo anywhere in the Gulf that didn't have a hose or similar but that hook and jet of water thing seems an Egyptian thing (though Vix might know different!). I think they're a disgusting invention - no nice way to say that what goes into the pan is also going into the top of the pipe that the jet of water comes from.:eek: Yugh.

(....I'm still laughing :D)

V

vix

So descriptive G, and I'm still laughing!!! In fact the little hose isn't because of the small pipes but muslims have to wash that delicate area ;) after going to the loo. I've never been in a loo anywhere in the Gulf that didn't have a hose or similar but that hook and jet of water thing seems an Egyptian thing (though Vix might know different!). I think they're a disgusting invention - no nice way to say that what goes into the pan is also going into the top of the pipe that the jet of water comes from.:eek: Yugh.

(....I'm still laughing :D)
Yes Lsab, same here, and no I have never come across a loo without the hose. My mother-in-law only has a 'Bedoiun toilet', (hole in the ground). In the early days, sister-in-law had the duty of instructing me how to wash in accordance etc etc. Black garments tucked up and held in one hand under the arm, tissue over the shoulder, it was only a demo mind, she wasn't actually washing. Even on the last visit, I was asked had I washed !!!!!!

L

lyndsay552

Lidl have Electric Insect Killers in at the moment and they're only £8.99.

They are pretty light weight but a bit bulky.

Lyndsay

J

johnwayne

Banned
Hi - can someone help us on this query please - It was mentioned, I think on the furniture forum, that twigs were bought by someone with the decorative lights on for their apartment etc - and the other half bought some today - but how the hek are these going to get through customs - can she carry them????? they do look decorative though!

Georgina

Georgina

Bathrooms

With the prices for bathroom extras being quoted on the Oasis forums, I thought I would share this story with you :)

Going back about four years I rented out my apartment to an English guy who, just before his holiday, advised me there would be 3 guys in total staying in my one bed apartment (cosy). They texted me when they arrived saying they were sitting on the roof terrace and were so happy. I thought it was strange at the end of their holiday that I didn't hear anymore.

A week or so later I arrived at my apartment and the cleaner was there and I could see from the look on his face something was wrong. I went into the bathroom to find my hand basin cracked in half and all the marble surround broken on the floor :eek: I couldn't imagine how this had happened.

I called the maintenance department here in El Gouna but because my bathroom was not a standard one they said it would be quicker if I went to Hurghada to find a similar basin, etc. So armed with measurements I located a new basin (30 pounds sterling) and then went to the back streets to look for marble. I decided that granite would be stronger and the guys said come back in two hours and it would be cut and ready. The guys then came back to El Gouna and started cutting the hole for the basin. It was now 10pm so not popular with the neighbours with the electric cutting machine. They fitted the new granite top and bowl which cost also 30 pounds sterling for granite and labour. Unfortunately my whole apartment was covered in the dust from the cutting like someone had sprinkled icing sugar everywhere.

I then had to have the bathroom repainted which cost ten pounds sterling including paint and labour.

I never heard from the English guy so contacted him to find out what had happened and to make sure no-one had been hurt. He said his friend had been leaning from the bath to grab a towel and everything just broke :confused: He eventually moved to El Gouna (and moved away again) but never offered me an apology, any compensation nor even bought me a drink :mad: I organised the rental myself when I first bought my apartment before I moved here permanently so didn't take any deposits for breakages. Apart from a broken ice cube tray, one cigarette burn that was the only damage during rental.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I think it was Sue that bought them and she put them in hubbys golf bag. I recently took a safe and Easyjet had a special area to take larger cargo to at check in. If they are boxed up they will be fine - just ask them to put a fragile sticker on them.

G

gordies

I need furniture

hello all,

I need a complete furniture pack for a 2bed apartment in HV.

The quote I got a few months ago has shot up by over £1000 sterling due to Egyptian inflation and the change in the UK£ - Egyptian £ exchange rate.

Does anyone have any information on furniture suppliers in the area?

thanks,

Gordie

L

Lsab

Hi Gordie,

I've merged your thread with the exisiting one that we have on buying furniture in Egypt. If you have a read through I think you'll find all the answers that you're looking for as the information on this thread is very comprehensive.

Best wishes
Linda

D

danny

Furniture

MY WIFE HAS STARTED WORKING WITH A FURNITURE STORE IN HURGHADA OFFERING FURNITURE PACKS. A TYPICAL 2 BED APARTMENT WOULD START AT £4K AND KITCHENS FROM £1K.
HER EMAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected]

hello all,

I need a complete furniture pack for a 2bed apartment in HV.

The quote I got a few months ago has shot up by over £1000 sterling due to Egyptian inflation and the change in the UK£ - Egyptian £ exchange rate.

Does anyone have any information on furniture suppliers in the area?

thanks,

Gordie[/QUOTE]

hobo2000

hobo2000

There is a new furniture showroom in Hurghada!
AREEKA FURNITURE is located at the Sheraton Road, opposite of Seagull Hotel in the "Le Passage Mall". It is the largest showroom in Hurghada (app 900 square metres)!

A nice collection of bedroom, living room, dining room, children bedroom and linen items. Also available are sofa's, sofabeds and accessories.
Not officially opened yet, but you can already check it out.

No website available yet.
they have one now. areeka furniture

J

JohnAdam

Banned
El Riad

has opened a shop next to British resort and you can get furniture pack for one bed apartment for £4000 or you can buy everything of your choice seperatly.

If anyone needs any help with this please contact me I do live out in hurghada and can help.

G

gordies

hurghada

John,

can you PM me and we can discuss furniture shopping in Hurghada?

cheers.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi John - do you work for El Riad - sorry to be so blunt x

Any info ( as long as not self promo ) you can post here

Regards

Alison x

J

JohnAdam

Banned
Hi queenie40

No i do not work for el raid, just i went in today to buy a desk for my computer as i have set my office up in hurghada, i was looking all over hurghada and found one there thought people would be interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.